Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How many opted to get the GPS option for their 6500 or 6700?

Options
2»

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Waiting for one from eBay.... it takes a while to get here. 
    This is the one I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/331005585554
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would love to see improvement in the policing of the amateur bands. I returned to ham radio after a long period of inactivity and I am appalled by the behavior of many operators.  I do not think defining bad behavior is very difficult.  Acceptable amateur operating practices are reasonably well codified.  I would add the GPS option to my Flex to participate in an effort to clean up the amateur bands.

It could be that the current OO program is effective, but I have seen no evidence.  For example, the mess on 14313 is well known and has apparently existed for years.  As far as I can tell, there is no readily apparent, easily accessible reporting mechanism.

I have sent screen shots from the Flex to a few blatantly QRM'ing operators, along with a nice message explaining how the splatter from their signal was essentially wiping out QSO's on either side of their frequency--QSO's that were in process before they started transmitting.  In turn, I have received replies thanking me for sending the information, as they were unaware that their signal was so wide.

Ignoring bad signals/improper operations is definitely not the right approach.

.....Larry, KC1DAD

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options

Larry,

Your gentlemanly approach, along with convincing documentation, is exactly in line with good amateur practice.

The 14.313 problem, along with many others, have been reported and fully documented by OO's and reported to the FCC.  OO's are allowed to only observe, document and report.  If these reports fall on short-staffed departments at the government, delays happen.  But eventually many of these things do get addressed.

--jim KJ3P

• Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm glad to hear it, although I have seen virtually no evidence of enforcement.   I do think that we cannot, as many have suggested, ignore bad signals/operating practices.  I make it a point to contact the operator via email with documentation and I encourage others to do the same.  I think many times the "offender" is not particularly aware of the issue.

I know, for example, that drivers stopped by state police in this state as a result of a *SP call, are reportedly surprised and apparently unaware of their dangerous driving.

I practice "See Something, Say Something" ("Hear Something, Say Something") and I encourage others to do the same.  There is little point in complaining to each other.

....Larry, KC1DAD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.