Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How long should the radio and SDR take to "find" each other?

Mike
Mike Member ✭✭
The past couple of times (and the current turn on sequence) the front LED is blinking for over 3 minutes and the radio and and SDR haven't found each other.  What is the normal time for the rig and program to sync up? What might my problem be? I've activated SDR first and then the radio and radio and then SDR the LED blinks for what I think is a long time.  Current version SDR and the radio is 6300

Answers

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Though I haven't timed it with a stopwatch, it takes about 90-120 seconds for the radio to boot, and 1 to 2 seconds for SSDR to see the radio come up on the network.

Jim
    K0UNX

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    The 6300 doesn't have the display but on the 6500 there is a calibration sequence that takes some time.  During this time the radio really hasn't "booted".   Then once it gets through that it has to register itself with DHCP and depending upon your DHCP server it could take 10-30 seconds.

You might try a router (DHCP server) restart and see if it is any faster?
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The rig is hooked direct to the computer.  Guess I will watch and see how things transpire. I just don't recall it taking this long the first time I turned the unit on.  I wasn't sure if there was a sequence radio first/SDR second (or the other way around).
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Remember, this radio is a COMPUTER that just happens to have a bunch of RF stuff as well.  
    Jim
    K0UNX

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    SSDR on the PC can not find the radio until after the radio if fully booted.. i.e. Solid Green LED. Then should take no more that a few seconds.

AL, K0VM
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Mike,

Sometimes a factory reset cures all kinds of problems. You might try that if you haven't already. When I timed my 6300 boot, it took about 50 seconds. 

Roy - W5TKZ
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Mike , my radio goes into my router so, it's about one to two minutes but my amp takes 90-120 seconds to come alive. I don't worry it's all ready when I get back with my coffee in the morning.

Jim

WU5E

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also connect direct from Flex to PC via Ethernet CAT6 cable.

There is a known start-up / cold-start bug on the F6300 (maybe others) that the development boys will be fixing for the next release I assume.

The trick is just to wait about 60 seconds for Flex to warm-up, then de-power and power-up again. Works every time for me.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    About 90% of the time I have to restart my 6700 twice, but not a big deal.  I seem to remember Tim saying there will be a fix for this in a future software build.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There are 5 relay clicks that are audible before the radio starts broadcasting its presence. c these broadcastings are every second. If the control surface is fully started within a second of the 5th click it should be present in the listbox.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Somewhere in the documents, there is the comment that the direct rig-to-computer discovery process can take a long time.  This is a problem mainly with Windows, it seems.  Connecting to your home Ethernet router is much better, if you can manage it.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    40 seconds 6300
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    About 60 seconds for my 6700.

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    6500 .. from pressing power to operation 1 min 15 secs
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The past couple of times (and the current turn on sequence) the front LED is blinking for over 3 minutes and the radio and and SDR haven't found each other. 

There is a known issue that will be fixed in the upcoming SmartSDR v1.6.  This issue a a timeout on initialization. To mitigate this issue, if after 2 minutes the power LED is still flashing green, indicating that the boot process is stalled, press and hold the power button to power down the radio. The press and release the power button as you would normally to power on the radio. The radio should power up normally. Once the radio boots normally, it if OK to use.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.