Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How good is TX/RX audio via LAN Remote?

Frank  WA3NHK
Frank WA3NHK Member
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm curious how common it is to operate LAN Remote using PC audio devices vs. a dedicated mic and speakers.  I'm waiting for my 6500 for which I might buy a new microphone.  Going with a high-end PC mic and PC-attached speakers might make for a simpler wiring installation in my shack.

Also, "Remote PTT" is mentioned in section 16.4 of the SmartSDR manual, but it's never defined.  Does it really exist?

73.....Frank, WA3NHK  

Answers

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Well, I never tried to use a PC-connected mic or speakers WHILE RUNNING SSDR, preferring to use the hardware output and input of the radio itself.  DAX has me all confused.  

BUT I use DogparkSDR on my Macbook Air and K6TU Remote on my iPad and they run perfectly with anything that I plug into the Macbook or iPad.  Even my Apple earbuds.  No complaints about my audio from people I talk with.

So there's one person's experience.

Jim
    K0UNX
    UNIXman@mac.com
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Frank,

I believe that remote PTT is still being worked on for a later release.  Most users operating SSB remote via the LAN use VOX.

If you like using a headset, check out the Yamaha CM-500.  They are available for $60 or so on Amazon.  That is what I use all the time, & when I want to operate remote, it plugs right into my laptop.  I have gotten excellent audio reports using it that way.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Hi Jim

Doing WiFi Remote 700Meter between houses, using Heil Proset Elite headset into the computer.  Once Tx audio chain is set up everything works great on VOX.  I use the mouse to turn the VOX On/Off on the 6500. Using Creative stereo speakers. Next for me will be a Blue Jeti USB mic. (Its under the tree!!)

Good Luck

Kevin

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    +1 on the Yamaha CM500
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You can use the space bar as it mimics whatever was the last button you clicked with the mouse. So if you engage MOX with the mouse and don't touch anything else you can use that spacebar.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Its Blue Yeti USB mic

K.

• Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2016
    Tnx, Kevin.  I like the looks of the blue yeti.  It reminds me of the mic Roger Mudd used on CBS for the afternoon news when I was growing up.  And Johnny Carson.  :)
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi Salvador,

Ohhhhh.  Ok, that should work at least in the interim until they release remote PTT as Ray indicated flex may do in a future release.  The only operational issue might be the need to stay relatively hands-off the mouse while in a QSO.

Now all I need is the radio.

73....Frank, WA3NHK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.