Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How exactly does remote mode work? Does it have audio?

Ria
Ria Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
From what I understand, one can run SmartSDR for iOS in "remote" mode where SmartSDR is running on a PC and you can still connect to the radio with SmartSDR for iOS but it doesn't show the panadapter.

Are you still able to hear audio from the radio and transmit with SmartSDR for iOS in that case? Or is it simply a means of controlling the radio like CAT and you have to setup your own audio for remoting?

Answers

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Ria,

thanks for your very good question.

Due to it's nature and amount of data, Audio, FFT and Waterfall can not be sent from the Radio to more than one device and this is, why the iOS App can not show the waterfall and also can not hear the audio when in remote-mode.

The App can only send/receive "control messages" to/from the radio to change/tune the frequency, change modes, control DAX/DAXIQ etc. in remote mode.

So your comparison with CAT is quite right.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE

• Ed W2MKM
    Ed W2MKM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Marcus ...  Glad I found this .. I'm 2 weeks into my 6400 and decided to go for SmartSDR ... and am still struggling with SmartLink (that's a different thread) but I am able to get SmartSDR working on the Wifi LAN that is connected to the 6400.  

I was also puzzled by the Remote Mode option and was trying to get the Panadapter going in remote for for a couple of hours until I turned to the community.

It might be worth mentioning your description above in the next version of the SmartSDR documentation as the string "remote mode" does't seem to appear.

That said, can you elaborate on the utility of this mode? 

Thanks

Ed W2MKM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.