Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How does SSB over laptop via wi-fi work? Use typical laptop headset?

Apologies for likely dumb question.  Rebooting with hobby from 1968.  Planning on buying 6300.

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hi Bradford,

I've used the laptop "mic" built into the laptop with "ok" results.  It picks up some room noise.

I've used an earbud / mic set that worked wonderfully.  I have bose noise cancelling earbuds / mic which are expensive but I've heard the regular non-noise cancelling ones work fine too.  I use this also to run SSB from my iPhone even not on wifi, on cellular.  Good results.

If using a laptop you can get like some of the Jabra USB headsets with Mics that work very nicely.  In this case you'd set your audio in to "PC".  Like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Optimized-Corded-Headset-Softphone/dp/B005TOTI96/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&...

They work very well.

Yesterday I sat in an empty Pizza Hut across town from my radio.  I had just my iPhone and connected using SSDR and found a friend on 20m.  I had to adjust audio stuff a bit but at one point he said the audio was good.  This was on cellular network, ATT, iPhone only with no earbuds/mic.   Pretty cool.

When you get your 6300, it is possible to setup "mic profiles".  You can have specific profiles with different gain, processor, and EQ settings.  So in my case I need to make one for iPhone as the settings were very different from my shack balanced Mic.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So for how it works -

The SmartSDR software has LAN remote which allows you to use the radio over a local network (in your house) and version 2 has SmartLink which allows you to use it remotely (over the Internet). Audio is routed over the network and the experience is pretty much identical to using the radio locally. 

As for microphone options, I have found that the internal mics in most laptops to introduce room echoes more often than not. I have a few headsets which I use. One is a Jabra evolve USB that I won as a prize at the YL forum at Hamcom. Another is a pair of Bose QC25s that I use with an Antlion Audio modmic5. They both work. I think the Jabra is a bit more plug and play whereas the modmic needs some EQ to reduce the low end.

Hope this helps :)

Ria

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I recommend the "Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Headset - Black"  and add a wind sock.  (you can also use them with your phone)   I use mine for my laptop and my phone every day and they are still like new after two years (I travel 70% of the year)
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hi Ria.. which Jabra Evolve is it?  (model number)
    Thanks.
    Don

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Evolve 30. 

Mind you, I won this as a door prize so it's not the best. But it works!
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'm currently using a SteelSeries Headset which is phone plugs instead of USB, so it works directly to the Flex as well.  Just looking for other ideas, thanks!
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hmmm... $350CAD is a bit steep for my budget (Amazon.ca), but maybe I can find something on ebay...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This one is detachable. The headphones come out of the USB interface so theoretically you can use it on the flex as well. 
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I use a Sennheiser PC7 USB earphone and mic and the audio is excellent and they are not expensive - about 20€ in France.

Tim
  • John Pfeifer
    John Pfeifer Member
    edited October 2017
    I use a headset sm750mv $11.25 from ebay with a Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter with great audio reports from my laptop remote
  • Bradford Councilman
    edited October 2017
    Thanks to everyone!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    RadioSport ( Arlan Communications) just came out with the RS55SL Bom-Mic Headset works great with SmartPhone/Tablet/Netbooks/Ipad with the USA standard CITA Modern TRRS 4P Interface 
    (Beware the Chinese OMTP types will not work ) 

73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.