Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do YOU use Profiles?

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭

So now that folks have had the ability to use Profiles for a while.  I'm curious to know exactly how they are being used.  Especially naming conventions and ease of use.  I've created and deleted several of mine over the past few months in an effort to come up with something that makes sense and is easy to use.  In general I've sort of settled on having a single profile for each mode I operate on and for each band.  Some of these also have additional slices but that makes naming them more complicated.  In other words say I have a profile set up for DIGU 40M.  I also have 2 other slices on that same profile which are for SSB so I can listen in on a couple of my favorite 40m SSB frequencies.  Of course my naming convention doesn't indicate this.  Here's a short example of what I'm currently using.

CW 40M, CW 80M, and others for each band

DIGU 40M, DIGU 80M, and others for each band

SSB 40M, SSB 80M, and others for each band

I also have a few nets

NET 20M Maritime, NET 40M Early Morning, NET 20M Flexnet, and several others

One configuration I haven't used much is setting up profiles that open up several panadapters and slices for GENERAL listening.  I think I'll be using this a lot more once v1.4 is available which should include a Squelch.  It will certainly make it easier to monitor several frequencies at the same time.  Maybe someone can chime in and comment on what naming conventions they are using for General monitoring of several panadapters/slices.

So, while we're waiting for v1.4 can some of you give us some examples of how you are currently using Profiles and comment on what naming conventions you're using?  How about for General monitoring of several panadapters/slices?

Answers

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Norm,

Recently I posted some of my observations in the use of profiles. Mostly about Management.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/managing-profiles

In addition to this I found that if I export them before I start all the changes it's like a backup if I need to start over for some reason. 
    Buy using different exports and renaming them you can can save profiles and Import them for your needs. Like a CW, Digital, SW Listening, or Nets etc... 
    I would like to find a way to merge my profiles with for example yours so we could share easy. We can exchange our exported profiles.
    The files produce from export are not user friendly in that you can't edit them and then import them. 
    I do use several pan-adapters with a slice in each one rather than one pan-adapter with several slices.  

As a supplement I also use K9DUR (Ray Andrews) SDRMemory.exe  available at http://k9dur.rnaconsultingservices.com/smartsdr_utilities.html
    to keep major lists of frequencies I would like to listen to or work I do lots of listening and the list would overwhelm my profiles and would be hard to manage in profiles.  Ray uses a XML file for storage of info. I built a macro in to Excel that can export to Rays XML format allowing me to load it with large numbers of entries after cutting paste work in Excel. 

Dan --- KC4GO
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm waiting for the long-promised documentation before using them TBH. I only have one at the moment, to limit my TX bandwidth on JT65 5MHz as we only have 5.357-5.358 MHz to use in the UK.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I'm waiting for ATU memories to be saved in the profile
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
      Since I have so many customized settings for the different areas and modes that I operate, I use  'Profiles' every time I use my 6300. It took a while to figure out how 'Profiles works and how to lay it out for my use. 
       The only drawback I find is, if I want to qsy quickly this long list requires a bit of scrolling to find my desired mode/band. Mine is configured as follows;

MODE  -   Band   -   Description  -  Day-Time    -   Frequency 
    CW -                                                               (21 CW frequencies) 
    DIGI -                                                             (14  Digi frequencies)
    SSB -                                                             (32  SSB frequencies)
    WWV -                                                           (4 bands)

Sample;
     CW    20M     HFC net    M-8p   14.060
     CW    40M     E. Tfc N   T-7p       7.042
     CW     6M      DX Call                50.100
    CW     70cm   Bcn       Bristol   432.258
    DIGI   20M     WSJTx                 14.070
    DIGI   40M     JT65                       7.076
    SSB   20M     FlexNet     Sn-2p  14.239
    SSB    2M      NoGA Net  M 8p  144.210

I employ 2 transverters so my 'Profiles' also include all the special settings I use for CW, SSB and Digital for the VHF/UHF bands. These different frequencies include beacons on various VHF/UHF and HF bands.

For instance, to operate a Digi mode all I have to do is load my program from my Desktop icon ( WSJT, JT65 or ?), then go into 'Profiles' and 'point' to a band of choice and 'click'......which 
    takes me to that band, frequency and sets all my special parameters...I'm all ready to go. Then I can make any minor adjustments from there. This saves a ton of time ! 

If the 'Profiles' layout is going to remain like this, I'd like to have more room for the descriptions. I try to condense my info to all fit on 1 line for each frequency, which requires a lot of abbreviations. I still like the layout in the 5K better...it's in the form of a customizable chart and easier to navigate. IMO.

That's how I do it but I sure would like to see how others have theirs set up.

Tom W4TMW
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    "The only drawback I find is, if I want to qsy quickly this long list requires a bit of scrolling to find my desired mode/band." 

In this case, you are essentially using Profiles as frequency memories.  That really isn't how we intended for profiles to be used.  And we will provide some relief for this with SmartSDR v1.4, as it will have a Memories feature that will allow you set up your favorite frequencies.

You would use the profile to define a "home" band/frequency, but to a greater degree, the profile is used to set up th radio for a particular mode of operation, like digital modes.  Then you can use the memories to QSY to your favorite frequency/mode combination.
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Tim, 

That sounds great !
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks Tom.  I wasn't able to get the decimal to display in the profile name.  Seems to be it doesn't accept "." in the file name.  The way I'm setting things up, does work but I'd still like to see what others are doing.  I guess I'm hoping someone has an ingenious way of managing profiles!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.