Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how do I update the software to 2.2.8 on the 6400M

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Does the radio need to be connected to the internet or can I download 2.2.8 to a laptop and update it that way? If the later is the case then I must be missing a step because when I disconnect the laptop and use the radio stand alone it only has the previous version to load.
What am I missing? 

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    To update the front panel you need to connect the radio to the Internet via your router using a RJ45 cable which you should have gotten in the package. See the user guide: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6400m-and-flex-6600m-user-guide-pdf/ Pages 24-25 shows you how to connect to your router. Page 27 shows how to update software.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The radio is a computer server, meaning it is the main computer. The laptop or Maestro are secondary screens.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you Ria. I was looking at that manual late last night and must have missed it. 

I thought there was a way to connect the radio to a computer that was wifi connected to the internet? Is there something that I need to turn on in the computer to make that happen. I am using a laptop w/ Win 10 Home and yes I have already updated the dreaded 1803 update. Then downloaded SSDR 2.2.8. 
    I think I will try to locate a copy of 'networking for dummies'.
  • Jon - AJ1U
    Jon - AJ1U Member
    edited November 2019
    Perhaps you were referring to this:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003741486-Enabling-Network-Bridging-for-Link-Loc...

I was able to get it to work to update the software on my new radio which did not have 2.2.8.  In my shack there is only internet via wifi on my PC.  The bridge allowed my 6400M to download the latest software by connecting to the internet via my PC which has wifi.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I tried that today and was not successful in getting the radio to recognize that internet is there. I was able to get the bridge connection but still no go. tomorrow I will move my router closer to the radio and get it connected.
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Rick, if you cannot get close enough to run an ethernet cable to you router from the radio, you could try one of these.  After configured, this device will plug into the RJ-45 port on the radio and connect it to your wifi.  https://www.amazon.com/VAR11N-300-Multi-Functional-Wireless-Portable-Repeater/dp/B01199OGK0/ref=sr_1...

Jeff.

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ok, I moved the router and connected the 6400M to it and lo and behold it updated to 2.2.8. 
    I was on the 2.1.30 so I do have a question...If I remember correctly I do not have to upgrade to the next version in succession and all updates in the versions in between are included in 2.2.8.?

Gee, now I can connect my computer(s) directly to the router. I should have done this sooner!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    You do not have to upgrade sequentially.  All newer versions have the same features as the previous ones.  Each version is an independent software installation; the base software is not upgraded.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    For future reference, you probably want internet connection sharing:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/internet-connection-sh...

But it is always better to connect to your router, either directly or through a switch attached to the router. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.