Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how do I temporarily remove the CAT com ports?

Gary
Gary Member
Expert amp program needs to have ALL virtual com ports removed before it can 'see' the amp and get the USB chip ID... I know I know - seems really convoluted but it is what it is ... so can I remove the 2 FlexVSP com ports without uninstalling anything? I have set SMART CAT and DAX to be disabled and not start on startup, and that works - but the 2 com ports are still there. I tried disabling them - that won't work - the amp program still says there are more than 1 USB devices plugged in ... how can I get the 2 VSP com ports NOT to be there without having to jump through many hoops?

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gary, I had to remove all COM ports from SmartCAT when I had a similiar problem.
    Recreating them was no problem at all.
    If someone has found another solution I would also be glad to apply that :-)
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Have you tried disabling them directly from the Device Manager?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Just write down what you have created and remove them. You can also use the Windows snipping tool to do a screenshot of the CAT window.

Once you remove them install any hardware or USB serial devices and then recreate the ports.

My system has a 4 port PCI-e serial card, USB from PowerMaster II wattmeter, then CAT ports. I always put the physical first, followed by USB, then virtual.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

If your referring to the spe console amp control program, I have mine connected to an actual hardware serial port on my PC, not a usb to serial converter. Also you might try the mini console app that can be downloaded from the spe yahoo group it has simple amp control features but no configuration capabilities.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have found it benifical to have the virtual ports assigend to com port numbers greater  than the hardware/usb ports ( including Flex knob ).

Al, K0VM
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    already mentioned I disabled them - that didn't work... thanks
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    huh? The question is HOW do I remove them without uninstalling the programs. Since the programs are part and parcel of the whole (SSDR) I'm very reluctant to remove JUST them. Thus the question: how do I temporarily remove them.
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    already tried assigning the port that the amp comes up on to COM1 ... to no avail...
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    and do you remember how you removed them?!
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hmmm, all I did was physically unplug all my USB cables from the PC except the one going to the SPE 1.3k-FA and the SPE USB software program found Amp driver with no trouble.  Then I just plugged all the other USB cables back into the PC and all works just fine...  I did NOT remove any virtual or CAT ports!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You could just uninstall SmartSDR and all associated software, install your Expert Amp software, then come back and do a fresh install of SmartSDR.

I have way too many COM ports in use by various devices to consider deleting all of them just to install Expert Amp software.  It seems to me they really need to fix the issue at Expert Amps.  I hope you called them an complained about it.....
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you unplug all of your USB cables and try that method, Make sure you mark each USB cable so that you can put them back into the EXACT USB port that they were originally in.  
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, this method works as long as you make sure you put the USB cables back to their original ports, which is what I did...  Mine are all marked.
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016

unfortunately not my experience here... the 2 flex VSP ports are there all the time and apparently the app for SPE 'connects' to one of them as it shows it is connected to something even though its obviously not the amp. You'd think they'd have written it so that it KNOWS its connected to THEIR product! Glad it worked out for you ... I guess I'm destined to uninstall everything.

• Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    indeed... I bought the radio used and at one point with a Windows update the program, SSDR, wouldn't work because of an issue with the VSP. I got immediate suggestions from Flex but when that proved fruitless the help went away ... I was hanging out on a limb by myself... after several weeks of waiting for help I finally found a way to fix it ... thus my reason for being very reluctant to uninstall everything. But I guess I've no choice.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I found the best way to get rid of the virtual ports is to uninstall FlexVSP. Reboot the computer and  the radio and do what I have to do and reinstall FlexVSP. Windows is not good at remunerating com ports. This should solve your problem.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    From the SmartSDR CAT User Guide:
    The Remove button allows the user to remove a Port. Ctrl and Shift keys may be used to select multiple Ports for faster removal. Multiple selection does not apply to the Edit or Log buttons. Note that removing a FlexVSP Serial Port will result in those ports being removed from the system and may take several seconds to complete the device removal process. 
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    I am pretty sure I tried this and it didn't work, didn't remove the ports from DM - but perhaps I did it incorrectly... meanwhile I went and uninstalled SSDR, got the amp upgraded and running and am not about to reinstall version 1.10.8. Thanks
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If you had already uninstalled FlexVSP, that might explain this not working.  Let us know if you have trouble getting things back the way you want them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.