Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I permanently correct my 6500 frequency calibration?

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My 6500 frequency display indicates 20Hz higher than the true frequency.  I can go into Radio Setup - Receive and perform a calibration against WWV which will fix it until I power off my 6500 and then it's off again next time I power up.  Is there any way to permanently set the calibration?  In PowerSDR there was a Calibration - Correction Factor that was permanently stored.

Thanks, Barry N1EU

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is this parameter stored in the Global Profiles?  I don't have that list in front of me.
    You can run a test and see by calibrating and then saving a global profile.  After powering down and back up, reload the profile and see if it reloaded the calibration numbers.

Ken - NM9P
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Yes it is save in the Global Profiles. I noticed the same thing and it retained the information once I stored it. It seems because this applies to all modes, etc. it is something that should be saved automatically without replicating the setting in all saved profiles.

Jim, K6QE

• RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Barry,

All the Flex radios have a drift in frequency related to the temperature of the master oscillator. Some are worse than others. You must let your radio warm up before attempting a calibration.

Having said that, you may find your calibration has drifted after you have used your radio in transmit for a while. This increases the drift from where you calibrated it.

I had this problem with my 6300 and being a stickler for being on frequency, I decided to upgrade to a 6500 with the GPSDO installed. That's the only way to assure that you are calibrated all the time.

I do not know what you are using to display your beat frequency with WWV but if you are using Fldigi, be aware that there is a dead band of +/- 10 cycles in the fldigi digital display. In other words, you can be tuned 10 cycles high or low on your radio and the fldigi digital display will show you spot on.

So if you want to be very accurate with your frequency, invest in the GPSDO and never be adrift again.

Good luck,

Roy - W5TKZ  
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I calibrated and had an offset of about -700 ppb.  I saved the Global Profile.  I shut down SSDR and cycled the power and opened SSDR.  The Offset was lost, it was now 0.  I restored the Global Profile that I had saved and the Offset is still 0.  What am I missing?
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    This is from Tim 4 weeks ago 4 weeks ago Photo of Tim - W4TME Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager 4287 Posts 1324 Reply Likes Official Response Your radio believes it has a GPSDO installed which is why the offset is reverting back to 0. To fix, do the following: Start SmartSDR and connect to your radio. From the Settings menu, select the Radio Setup->GPS tab. Click on the Uninstall button. Close SmartSDR Power cycle the radio Start SmartSDR and connect to your radio. From the Settings menu, select the Radio Setup->Receive tab Run a frequency calibration Close SmartSDR Power cycle the radio Start SmartSDR and connect to your radio. From the Settings menu, select the Radio Setup->Receive tab You should see the previous offset value now. (Edited) Mike N9DFD
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Mike, THAT did it!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.