Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I make WSJTX work with a 6500 Advice please

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
I can run most digital programs with my new 6500, but so far WSJTX has defeated me.
WSJTX receives ok, it is the transmitting details for the radio I need. The rig is set up as a TS2000  but so far no luck.

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ross,
      Does the the radio key? (PTT problem)
     If it does key, do you have no level indicated on the level indicator? (DAX problem)
    AL, K0VM
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited February 2018
    I had the same problem with my 6300.  On the right side of the screen, under P/CW which shows  Mic, Proc, Mon on one side and +ACC and DAX on the the other side, make sure DAX is on and in the color blue.  Once I set DAX on, it transmitted as it should.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Also be sure you have set up a unique COM port in CAT for WSJT-X that allows rig control, then set "PTT Method" to "CAT." Press "Test CAT" - it should go from red to green. Then press "Test PTT" and your rig should key.

Let us know. I can meet you on-line if you like to go over it...

• Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the comments. So far WSJTX is one of the digital programs I am having a problem with. Ham radio Deluxe, Mixw3,FSQCall,Ros, all work perfectly. The DAX transmit side shows that DAX is working, but it does not key the 6500.
    I have made a virtual port pair5-15 and set it with DTR and RTS and that doesn,t work,  also another tried another pair 6-16, no godd either.
    And yes I have DAX and Mon showing blue.
    Regards Ross ZL1WN
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Are you trying to use a COM port for PTT, or do the keying through CAT command? If using COM for PTT, the port you create in CAT needs to be a PTT only port, and it must be a unique port not used by any other application.
  • Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited May 2015
    Try setting it to TS480
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ross,
       Do you have CAT control from WSJT to the radio.... Can you change bands in WSJT and have the radio respond.  If so, I would recommend setting CAT as you PTT method in WSJTX.  ( and use TS-480 as the rig type and or course select a valid SmartSDR CAT serial port)
    AL, K0VM
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks to all for the replies, it is very good to have all the support, I have reset the radio to the TS480, that has fixed my problem. 
    Ross ZL1WN
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You could use my setup: MiniDeluxe and HRD, WSJTX set to HamRadioDeluxe.
  • K6NOK- Bill
    K6NOK- Bill Member
    edited July 2015
    Is there a setup guide for the 6000 series somewhere for WSJTX?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is the best guide:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202037343-Configuring-DAX-and-WSJT-X

If you have any questions or problems setting up WSJT-X, please post here
    with your entire setup (rig/OS/PC and SmartSDR version).

73, Alex DH2ID

• Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Alex,
    I still have the same problem with WSJTX, it does not work. I can run all other digital programmes on my 6500 and the 6700 without a problem, but not WSJT.
    I am using the latest SmartSDR. I can receive ok, and I have tried both the TS480 and the TS2000 neither work.
    Can you please list what settings you use,
    ie: Rig (type), Cat control, which is on the LHS of the radio setup page, baud rate and stop bits.
    Rhs of page, which PTT method, comport, audio source and mode. 
    All that would be helpful.
    As to the gude, yes it is useful, but it doesn't say how to get Dax transmit working.
    Regards
    Ross
    ZL1WN
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ross 
    In addition to:
    Your entire setup (rig/OS/PC and SmartSDR version).
    Add the following Please.
    The specific version of WSJT-X that your having the trouble with.
    WSJT-X has changed many times in the past few months, and the setup has changed with it at times. We will need to know exactly what your trying to do, in order to give you the exact settings to use.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Alex, you wont believe this, but immediately after writing the above email, I recehcked and reconfigured WSJTX and it worked. (I didn't bepieve it either, as I have tried for weeks to get it going.)
    I have TS2000, comport9, (dedicated portP N82, PTT com5 (rts), rear data ,usb ,none.

I still have one problem to sort out, I stopped WSJTX and restarted it, and it picked up the slice I had operating on the 6500, on 80m, even though I have filter.txt installed, with the serial numbers of the radios, so they can work on the same network. So WSJTX did not work, turning off the 6500, restarting the computer with WSJTX on it and it works perfectly.

Best wishes
    Ross
    ZL1WN
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Congrats, Ross!

I am not using a rig setup at all. I run miniDeluxe slaved to COM port 6 of SmartSDR CAT, which in turns creates port 7809, which is standard for Ham Radio Deluxe.
    I must reverse my other postings, because if you start DDUtil v. 3.0 WSJT-X does not recognize HRD, although the server port is the same !?! I will look into this further.

In WSJT-X I use Ham Radio Deluxe as a "rig", PTT port is COM 7,
    which was created by SmartSDR CAT.

This works very well with HRD Log and DM780. For CW I just use a
    external CW Keyer by ZLP Electronics, which emulates the WinKeyer.

Hope everything is working now on your side,

73 and have a nice sleep on the other side of the globe,

Alex DH2ID
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim If someone provided current screen caps could that helpdesk article be upgraded?
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  Contact me off list.
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    While trying to get WSJTX working I found a number of items that may help.
    (a) use Slice A, dax can be any number up to whatever your rig will accept.
    (b) get audio working first, thats easy, just set the correct number in the audio settings.
    (c) I make other dedicated ports, cat.  and see my see my email above, in which after weeks of trying I managed to make WSJTX work. That email has my latest settings which finally worked.
    I used TS480, (at least it works)
    (d) I found that it didn't pay to push the ptt button, just close the setting and try tune on the main screen,( getting a green test cat button at least proves you are "on the money".)
    (e) After every attempt to get WSJTX working I found that it did not pick up the correct frequency so I closed the programme, if it picked up the correct frequency at least it was talking to the radio and I started again.

It is not the easiest programme to make work, so good luck
    Ross
    ZL1WN
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    One item I missed. I found it was also very helpful to start with a "fresh" computer, in other words input the ports etc into WSJTX after a restart, in case other digital programs had left "bits" behind, which confused WSJTX.
    Ross
    ZL1WN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.