How do I interface to control the 6300

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Folks,

I am hoping that someone here can help me.

I have a Magloop controller that I need to interface to my Flex6300, the controller reads the Freq. of the radio, change to FM/AM, reduce the power and TX to get the best SWR. After the antenna is tune, the controller will restore the setting of the radio. The cable from the controller is a 3.5mm, 3 section stereo cable that works well with my Elecraft KX3. I need to build a similar cable to interface to  my 6300, is this possible without adding any other external devices, and what pins on the DB15 connector do I use?

Thanks
Peter/ve3pcd
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3471 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
While I am not familiar with the Magloop controller, currently the 6000 series does NOT send band data directly from the Radio.   Since it  uses a 3.5mm TRS Connector I suspect that it is using some sort of Serial CAT data for Band Data.

However it is very easy to get band data from your computer that controls the radio.  I suggest that you use a program like DDUTIL to act as a Traffic Cop to send data to the appropriate serial port.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Howard is correct, the FLEX-6000 radio hardware does not send any type of data other than audio out of the ACC connector to external devices.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3471 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
To amplify my response.  you can get whatever serial band data you need from your COMPUTER not directly from the Radio but rather indirectly through DDUTIL which reads the internal frequency data and converts it into serial data that your device can use.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hmmm, very interesting!!

Tim - Is this something that will be implemented via software upgrades in the future ?

Howard - Thanks for the feedback, I find DDUTIL very complicated; do you have any suggestions on how I can go about this ?, this controller which is using Teensy arduino  has a USB port declared.

Peter
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
"Tim - Is this something that will be implemented via software upgrades in the future ?"

We have discussed it internally and it may be part of an effort to fully remote the radio without having a PC at the remote site, but they are only preliminary discussions.  DDUtil is the way to go for now.
(Edited)
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 225 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I really hope Flex is able to do this Tim, as my remote site is Solar powered and it would certainly help the power budget and simplify the installation if I can control my amplifier without having to run a remote PC. I am sure there are many other Flex 6xxx users (and potential future Flex users) who would be in the same situation.

Thanks for Ver 1.43 well worth the short delay.

Winston VK7WH
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1406 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Peter 
I'm interested in helping anyone thats finding DDUtil complicated. Can you describe the trouble you have with it? Maybe I can make it less complicated. 
Jay - NO5J
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the offer; is it possible to have your email addr. so that we can chat outside of this group, then I can give full details of what I want to do ?

Peter/ve3pcd
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1406 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
I'd love to have a way to give it to you here on the Community but it's not a good idea to do that, However I'm good on QRZ which "supposedly" cloaks my email address from the spam bots.

Jay - NO5J
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Roger that!, just sent you an email
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3471 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
Peter

If Jay cant help I am usually around to help too...
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1406 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
I'm a little less busy maybe, I wish I was as active as you are Howard, It might be fun. to be Howard!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3471 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
it had better be fun to be me or I would not be doing it...
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1406 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Yeah, it would be pretty bad having to be you, if it's no fun at all.
Kinda like being me.