Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I increase the Flex-6300 audio

Peter
Peter Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have just purchased the Flex-6300 and have installed SmartSDR v1.3, the audio is very good but I have noticed that it is also very low even with my Bose computer speakers with volume turn full on both the radio and speakers unless the signal if very strong. Is there a setting to give teh audio more punch ?

Thanks
Peter / ve3pcd

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Check both master and slice volume controls, there's 2 controls in series...Way up in the top right hand corner and also below that under the frequency or in the slice flag, click on the speaker. 
    I'm using the same speakers and they are very loud at half volume on my 6300.
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi Steve,

I am aware of those controls and have been plying with them but even a small decreased in the sliders cause a major reduction in volume unless the signal is over S9. I also noticed that EQ for RX don't seem to make much difference either.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is your AGC on or off? What setting is the slider at?
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    I have it between 15-20 depends on band and condition. What is the suggested setting, this default case too much background noise.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I think we need to devise a more subjective method of measuring the audio power.
    It seems like you're tried everything the software has to offer. 
    What happens if you crank up the sidetone and hit your key? Does it **** you out of the room like mine? It's VERY loud! 
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    I had some cheaper speakers and thought that was the cause and what prompted me to get the best (Bose). As I said, when the signal is strong I have to back of on the volume but weaker signals even full vol. is the issue. Would you know the wattage of the radio audio out ?

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The line "unless the signal is over S9".  Your AGC is much too high.  Best performance is around where the (no signal) noise starts to drop.  A little more for strong signal arm-chair copy, a little less for digging out of the noise.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Do you have a scope? If I turn up both gain controls, set the sidetone at max, connect the scope across the input to the Bose speakers, hit the key and record the voltage on the scope I can then give you something to compare to. Otherwise we will keep batting around ideas.
    Have a scope? How about a high impedance voltmeter? 
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited June 2020
    I have neither and don't really want to be doing that kind of trouble shooting HI HI. I just thought there might be a setting that I am missing, or maybe a suggestion to have Flexradio folks pump up the audio in the next software update if possible.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    FWIW, I usually set the Bose volume at 12-o'clock, the AGC to MED or FAST at 40-50, the slice volume at 50 and the master volume to a comfortable level. Seems okay here. AGC SLOW on SSB is pretty quiet. The advice to adjust the slider to the noise "knee " is a very good suggestion. Good luck!
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter,
      I think you said you have your AGC-T set at 15-20.  That is much lower than I normally run mine.. Even on a noisy 75 meter SSB I don't go much below 50..   I normally start at the default value  (70) and slide it down on a noisy band until the noise just starts to drop.  On the higher quieter bands I run at default.  Low values of AGC-T will weak signal weaker in the speaker but the strong signals are still strong.

AL, K0VM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FRS sets almost all of its audio levels at the industry standard "Line Level" output.
    I use the Bose Companion II series 3 speakers plugged in to the back of my 6500.
    If I leave the "master volume" on full, and have the individual slice volumes at mid scale, then with the Bose speakers set at mid scale, I have comfortable room-filling sound.  (ham shack full, not rock concert music full) This is with the speakers on the desk, on either side of my dual monitors.

If I run the AGC-T too low, then the volume starts to fall off.
    As been previously said, the best setting is usually at the point when the background noise just starts to drop off.  This is often called the "sweet spot" for the AGC-T.  It will be in a different place on different bands.  If you have it set too low, the AGC will cut your weaker stations off.  When you have a really weak one, then you will need to raise the AGC-T.  On a really noisy band, like 160, 80, 40 in the summertime, then you might want to use AGX timing of Medium on SSB or Fast on CW & Digital modes so that the static crashes don't keep the AGC activated and wipe out your weaker signals.  
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks to all for all of your good suggestions which I have tried and now working so much better. I am sure there is so much about this radio to explore that I will be calling on you again  HI HI.

Peter / ve3pcd

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.