Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I get true CW macro capability on Flex 6600

Amos Sobel
Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Trying to transmit CW using the CWX of SmartSDR I find that it does not have the basic macro capability of creating a Hot Key message that does include the call sign of the other party. I have first to find out the call sign and insert it into the hot key message for each QSO. Did I miss something with CWX? Is there another software CW keyer that does interface to Flex 6600??

Answers

• Dallas k1dw
    Dallas k1dw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are many software packages that you can use better than CWX for contesting.  Lookup (Google) N1mm+ as it is free and has features for all modes.  Have fun  de  Dallas k1DW
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Not sure exactly what you are trying to use CWX for ?  Contesting ?  Rag chewing ?  DX Lab WinWarbler probably does what you want.  
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ham Radio Deluxe DM780 works very well if you are not contesting and has the best log available (my opinion). W7ZAC
  • Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thank you all. I did forget to note that my intension is to use Smart SDR with CW Skimmer and Log4OM. It will not work with DM780, which I know well, and I suspect it will not work with the other. "BIG" applications. What I need is a stand alone keyer which can interface to SmartSDR.
    4X4MF
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I did see the callsign populate CWX from DXkeeper when I first got my 6600 working last year. I was unsure how, but a $ sign for the call in a CWX macro would be nice. N3FJP does this, DXLab and N1MM+ can accomplish the same result.
  • Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am trying DX Keeper WinWarbler. I did install the CW mode to use  SmartSDR CAT com11 with PTT protocol and DTR. Using this setup I manage to key FL-6600 but it does not transmit any power. What did I miss?

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    DX Lab  WinWarbler CW Configuration and Operation

Flex-6000 transceivers can directly transmit CW, so on the CW tab of WinWarbler's Configuration window,

1. set the Xcvr mode selector to CW

2. set the CW offset (hz) to 0 (or leave the box empty)

3. set the Default TxPwr to the power (in watts) you'll use when operating in CW

4. check the display xmit/rcv characters box

5. in the Keyboard mode panel

• uncheck the auto start and auto stop boxes (explore these later)

• select character (if you are using an amplifier, word is more appropriate)

6. set the Keying panel to Xcvr Ctrl App

Sending speed can be controlled via the WPM selector on WinWarbler's Main window, or via SmartSDR's Speed slider.

More Flex DX Lab configuration here....

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

• Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Log4OM has a built in software "Winkeyer" that works great with a 6600.  You just set up a Winkeyer port in the SmartSDR CAT program. 
  • Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe, thank you for coming back with such detail. I did follow it but I could not find the Keying panel. PSE see my attached picture and reviw.
  • Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    a second picture

• Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joel
    Thank you for coming back with such a promising idea. I am using LOG4OM for logging my QSOs. I did look into all setups but could not find any reference to the SmartSDR and the 6600 hardware. How could it key the 6600?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

The keying panel is in the lower left corner of your CW configuration screen.  It is in purple letters.  It is located under PTT. 

You will also need to configure DX Labs Commander to control the Flex radio.  See the documentation Iink I sent to you. It is under Connections and Applications at the top of the page.  This will allow DX Labs software applications talk to your radio. 

Joe

• Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Click on the Winkeyer in the Radio tab at the top.

Then, in SmartSDR CAT, add a Winkeyer port.  Mine happens to be COM5.
    Finally, in the Log4OM Winkeyer interface, point it at the Winkeyer port you created.
    Then you can use macros or just type in the text input box.  You can also create, save, and load different macros for different uses i.e. contest vs dxing, etc.

Good luck with it!
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The nice thing about DX Labs Suite is that it does not require any COM port configuration for keying or rig control and does not require SmartSDR CAT to be running.  It connects directly to the radio through the Flex radio API.  It is automatically aware of each slice frequency for logging purposes.  It is a very seamless integration.  DX Labs Suite is a very powerful set of tools for logging, award tracking, spotting, DXing, LOTW, QSL tracking and more. 
  • Amos Sobel
    Amos Sobel Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Joel
    Using Log4OM with WinKeyer sounds a great idea to me because I am alrady using Log4OM. I did get WinKeyer to work but it has some defect with it's macro utility. Take a look at the picture below. What does cause the rotation of my name "AMOS SOBEL" to "L AMOS SOBE"
  • Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I've never noticed that before.  It appears to be some sort of problem with how the serial data is echoed back from the "Winkeyer."  The good news is, the data is being sent correctly, and the righ is being keyed properly.  The echoed characters are just not fully being flushed to the screen.  When you send the next message, the last letter of the previous message you sent finally appears.  I don't know if this is a Log4OM issue, or a SmartSDR issue.  If the display is bothering you too much, you can add a space to the end of your name in the Station Info tab of the Log4OM configuration.  You could also add a space to the end of any of the macros you add in the Winkeyer panel.  
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Could you share your settings for dm780 flex 6400 please

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.