Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I get audio from the radio to the PC without using the ethernet connection?

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
I would like to connect speakers (Klipsch Promedia 2.1) to the computer but still use them for the audio from the flex. I am guessing that I will have to use the accessory connector audio out from the 6400M to the line in on the computer. Am I heading in the right direction or is there another more simple way? I am using a 6400M and 2.2.8 on either a windows 10 laptop or an old Vista machine (64 bit), possibly a Win 7 machine. Can the USB on the Flex do this?  I mean carry the audio to the computer?

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Rick

My Realtek Soundcard chip on my motherboard can be reconfigured to use the surround sound output jacks as separate input jacks.

I connect the rigs Line Level/Speaker output to one of those inputs.

Then connect the PC speakers only to the PC speaker jack on the PC.

I have 3 Flexradios, each of which has its own line in jack on the back of the PC, I use either, and both of the SmartSDR controls, or the Windows Mixer to control the volumes or mute the inputs pf any of the rigs I'm not using.

All audio in my shack plays out of the same set of PC Speakers thru the PC.

I keep a Koss SB45 Headset/Mic plugged into the Front panel audio jacks on the PC. Doing so lets me use the Headset/Mic with the radios, and with other software running on the PC.

I also have a Heil PR781 on a boom stand wired to my 6500's XLR jack input.

I have a second Koss SB45 wired to my 6500s front panel mic connector, and headphone jack also, I find it easier to switch headphones on and off my ears, than plugging and unplugging connectors.

Having both lets me operate slouched back in the chair, without having to readjust the mic boom every time I lean forward to reach a knob. and sounds nearly the same, with the right mic profile selected.

I did have to use Line Isolators between the rig lineouts and the PC inputs to eliminate Ground Loop hum. I also wrapped the line cables thru ferrites if they introduced any RF.   

Using the ACCY jacks left and right line out pins should work the same.

I just found that using the 3.5mm connection, was easiest for me to hook up.

Plan in, the use of Line Isolators, and ferrite chokes, you will definitely need them.

The result is loud, clear, and static/noise-free audio, from both headphones, and a single set of PC speakers.

Do you need to do all the above? Nope! Do you have the Choice? Yep!

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Or you could choose remote audio in SSDR.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Like George, I select the Settings > Radio > Remote > Enable. This will turn on Local Remote. Then on the SmartSRD screen click PC Audio. Radio will provide speaker audio on power speaker jack and headset audio. The computer jacks provide audio at from their normal functionality. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    The original poster said he did now want to have to connect the 6400M to the network but use it standalone. No Ethernet, no network connectivity from radio to PC, thus PC audio is not an option.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Rick

You have 2 options however, Flex Radio is built from the ground up to use a LAN connection for just about all connectivity as it does just work.  It is also the most efficient.  I do it this way all the time and this is what the DAX product is for on the SmartSDR installation.   

I have to give this some thought, but I think if you want to just move the audio from the Radio via DAX to your computer speakers, it might require some special sound mixing to get it to the computer speakers.  A third party product may be required to build a virtual audio panel.

If you don't want to use a LAN, then you will have to use the Line Out from the radio and feed that to the Line In on a computer.

73, Mike

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Rick,

I have those same speakers(awesome speakers, BTW), here's what I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GWCRP3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 2-way stereo switch box.  I plug the speaker output from the Flex into port #1 and the speaker output from the computer into port #2, and the Klipsch speakers into the common port (In/Out).  So when I want to listen to the Flex I push the #1 button and when I want to listen to the computer I push the #2 button.

Works like a charm!

That arrangement also avoids any possible latency issues that running PC audio from the Flex might introduce.

Mark  K1LSB
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you all for the replies! I guess I should have explained more about what I want to do or have done. I just moved my router so that I could upgrade the software. Doing that, I thought how nice it would be to maybe set up SmartLink and use the 6400M remotely. But I came to the realization that I can't also connect locally so that I can do digital modes without a computer connected. unless I can do it through the network which I haven't figured how to do yet. So that leaves me with the problem of the audio. Since the ethernet cable is going to the router I can't get audio to the computer via Dax(?) to do digital modes. So it goes...
    I guess that I am starting to want to do more with the radio all at the same time.

If an Elmer or someone more knowledgeable than me would like to reach out and discuss this offline my email is on QRZ.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Rich,

I will email you direct.

Dave wo2x

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Dave! You are a true Elmer!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.