How do I do the basic, gettting going configuration for CW Skimmer for Flex 6300?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I am trying to do something very basic and my Google-fu is failing.

I see many examples that answer questions, but they all seem to answer questions that would occur to me _after_ I get to this point.

What I want to do is blindingly simple:  I want to do basic, CW Skimmer configuration.  Just CW Skimmer and an audio stream as provided by SmartSDR.  Nothing else.  Just those two.  I want my SmartSDR to feed CW skimmer _and that's all_.

I don't see where this is described.  And, it seems like I should be able to get it to work, but no luck.

What I have tried:

1.  Select DAX IQ RX1 for the "Audio I/O device" and "SDR IQ" as the radio.  No audio seems to be present (waterfall is dark blue).  Signals are clearly present on SmartSDR panadapter.  When I try to start/stop the radio I get an error:  "Unable to create SDR14x object".

2.  Select DAX Audio RX1 for "Audio I/O device" as well as for "Signal I/O device".  The radio is "3-kHz Radio."  On this one, I also set up cat for TS2000 on a dedicated port.  The CAT part, at least, works.  On this one, again, no signals are present on the panadapater.  On this one, start/stop radio gets the message "Cannot negotiate input format with DAX Audio RX 1: error 1169"

Do I need some sort of intermediary to make this work?  Something obvious I missed?  I would have thought that the second option, particularly, would have been downright trivial as it made to appear just like "any old radio".
Photo of Larry Loen  WO7R

Larry Loen WO7R

• 222 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Larry Loen  WO7R

Larry Loen WO7R

• 222 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Update (last for a while; going to be busy for a bit).

1.  On my system, Omnirig is a bit of a problem.  I sometimes need to go into Task Manager and kill it, restart everything.  If I don't do this, CW Skimmer and SDR Bridge can be confused about the frequency.  Restarting clears it (sometimes, a change of frequency is enough).   This is usually only a problem on initial startup.  Once in synch, it seems to stay that way.

2.  1.5.1 was, I thought, sticky about DAX settings.  Not when I do skimmer, though.  Sometimes when I change bands, the DAX goes to "none" on the slices.  Sometimes, for no good reason (maybe the same reason) the DAX IQ setting switches from 1 (where I have it) to 2.

3.  Still does not run in anything but admin mode.  I now run all three as admin (starting SDR Bridge as admin starts everything as admin).

4.  It was recommended to me by an off-list expert to always use SDR Bridge.  I can sometimes do without it, but now I don't bother, because it can sometimes keep CW Skimmer "straight" about which frequency to use.

So, it mostly works, but it still has its clunky aspects.  I'm very grateful for SDR Bridge.  I don't think it really would work without it.
(Edited)
Photo of Ed - W2RF

Ed - W2RF

• 258 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Hi Larry,

Please see comments inserted below:

1.  On my system, Omnirig is a bit of a problem.  I sometimes need to go into Task Manager and kill it, restart everything.  If I don't do this, CW Skimmer and SDR Bridge can be confused about the frequency.  Restarting clears it (sometimes, a change of frequency is enough).   This is usually only a problem on initial startup.  Once in synch, it seems to stay that way.

>>> CW Skimmer starts OmniRig, but doesn't use it in the SDR-Bridge configuration. I'm not sure why or how it could be causing a problem for you. More details would be appreciated!

2.  1.5.1 was, I thought, sticky about DAX settings.  Not when I do skimmer, though.  Sometimes when I change bands, the DAX goes to "none" on the slices.  Sometimes, for no good reason (maybe the same reason) the DAX IQ setting switches from 1 (where I have it) to 2.

>>> Please test this again with 1.6 when it comes out. I believe you will find things much improved. If not, let us know!

3.  Still does not run in anything but admin mode.  I now run all three as admin (starting SDR Bridge as admin starts everything as admin).

>>> Admin mode is needed due to CW Skimmer storing some of its config information in a protected area. As far as I know you are the first person to try to run outside of admin mode. Thanks for the information. We will try to document this!

4.  It was recommended to me by an off-list expert to always use SDR Bridge.  I can sometimes do without it, but now I don't bother, because it can sometimes keep CW Skimmer "straight" about which frequency to use.

>>> Actually without SDR-Bridge or a similar program the frequency will never coordinate correctly between SSDR and CW Skimmer!

So, it mostly works, but it still has its clunky aspects.  I'm very grateful for SDR Bridge.  I don't think it really would work without it.

>>> Thanks for all the work you have put into this, and thanks for using SDR-Bridge!

73 Ed W2RF
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Hi Ed,

RE: >>> Admin mode is needed due to CW Skimmer storing some of its config information in a protected area. As far as I know you are the first person to try to run outside of admin mode. Thanks for the information. We will try to document this!

I ran into one other person that ran into this and it appeared to be the same issue.  His problem quit when he launched CWS as Admin but since I didn't get a definite confirmation I didn't add it to the "quickstart" guide.  Sound like it is the issue / solution so I'll add it on the next update.  I'm waiting to see what if any other changes V1.6 brings so it will probably be a few weeks before I make and changes.

I'll also add a note about Omnirig not being used although it does get launched.  But will wait to see if Larry provides any more details on the issue he is seeing. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 - HW......... V 1.5.1.70
SSDR / DAX...... V 1.5.1.152
CAT................... V 1.5.1.0
Win10