Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I determine what is causing SmartSDR to run "choppy?"

2»

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I run 10.3.1. 

No choppiness here on wifi. Cellular has it but that is to be expected with 4G LTE in the middle of rockefeller center NYC. 
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I am using on a WAN and also have the latest update 10.3.1

Dennis

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    If you are running it on WAN it could be anything from your router to your upstream internet connection, to the client internet connection. The router is unlikely as I've set up ASUS routers for others without issue.

If your upload speed on your home internet is less than 3Mbps, you're going to have problems.

If the download speed on the internet you are using remotely is less than 3Mbps, ditto. 4G LTE and good 3G (HSPA+) will work. Anything less will not. Public wifi is a **** shoot. 

Latency is also a killer. Ping times in the hundreds of msec do not play nice. 

If your internet is fine, then you can look into maybe replacing the router and VPN with something better, maybe an IQ Router or similar. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Also another to check is how many apps are still running in the background and do that double press your home button, you should it open up like a deck of cards then start by swiping them up to quit the program one by one. Then what I do is hold down the power and home button at the same time and do a reset.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    I beleive one of the main culprits for choppy audio on SSDR iOS is the device scanning the wifi channels. If you leave SSDR running in the background and open "settings ,wifi" each time you see the iOS scan for wifi networks it makes the audio choppy. I beleive it does this scan in the background periodically and as SSDR only uses a small buffer for latency issues it causes audio dropout. I also intend to test my iPad with wired Ethernet using the iPad camera adapter and a USB to Ethernet adapter and check all is clear.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I thought I would give some more info. I have just bought the newest ipad with the a9 chip the ios is 10.3.1 at the base station we are using 1.10.16 smartsdr and it has a cat 6 to a ASUS RT-AC68 router. the modem is a xfinity running at 241mb download and 13mb upload 15 pings at the remote site it also has a xfinity modem but running as a router also and it is running at 30mb down load and 6 upload with 23 pings. The smartsdr ios is 1.2.8. The audio is choppy no matter what I do.
    thanks
    Dennis   
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Check with Xfinity and see if they can swap for a modem instead of a modem/router. Or if they can set it to bridge mode instead of router mode.
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited March 2020
    Another possible case of choppy audio occurs when using a Bluetooth headset due to cross interference of Bluetooth and your 2.4ghz wifi network. Some access points and Bluetooth heads handle this better than others. In this case setup a 5ghz wlan and connect to this. Most access points will allow you to have different wlan names for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless networks.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    That's an important point. To solve this if your router/AP has a band steering feature, use it.
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited April 2018
    I have the same choppy waterfall and choppy audio problem on SmartSDR for iOS, ver 2.3.0:0.53, iOS 11.2.6, 9.7-inch iPad Pro. 
    Radio: 6400M, firmware: v2.1.33.106
    Router: Asus RT-AC87R, firmware: 3.0.0.4.382_50010

The 6400M is plugged directly into the RT-AC87R router.

If using 5 Ghz, SmartSDR for iOS is choppy, whether the router is set to auto or 802.11n compatibility, and whether channel width is 20, 40 or 80 Mhz. Lowering the display fps rate helps some but doesn't solve it.

If using 2.4Ghz it is smoother but not totally smooth. Whether the router is set to auto or 802.11n mode and channel width makes no difference.

This is a LAN issue so ISP should make no difference, but ISP is Comcast. The iPad Pro running a network test achieves 350 mbps down, 30 mbps up, ping= 10 ms, jitter = 1.4 ms

This seems similar to the issue discussed in this thread: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-for-ios-cutting-in-and-out
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have gotten less choppiness when putting laptop (client running SmartSDR) into High Performance mode. Default is Balanced and Power saver is a non starter. Funny thing is, High Performance is hidden in Windows 10. I can post the command later if people are interested (I am not on that device right now). Andy KU7T

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.