I am wondering if there is any diagnostic that SmartSDR for iOS has to determine what the problem is?
I should also say that sometimes it runs absolutely perfect. So this is baffling.
My local network connectivity is 802.11ac into a netgear managed gigabit switch and I'm pretty sure it's not the wifi as nothing else gives problems.
1) clicking on network icon and watch latency and packet error rates to identify issues there
2) reducing slice FPS to 3 and spectrum refresh to around 50.
I have this config saved as Remote Operation and use it when operating remote over VPN from PC, iOS and Maestro. Solved my issues.
I can't say I've ever had an issue while on the home WLAN with buffering/stuttering issues on my iOS devices. I've deployed several access points on 5GHz throughout the house to resolve any dead spot issues. All of my local SmartSDR activity that takes place outside of wired connections occurs on 5 GHz channels. I have had issues in the past on 2.4 GHz with SSDR on my MacBook Air while in different parts of the house, but a full blown separate 5 GHz network resolved those issues. I've never attempted to connect the iOS devices to the 2.4 GHz network for SSDR actives, but can try.
I also had some minor issues on the 5 GHz network. Forcing the AP's to slave to a 20 MHz channel solved this. I think that an issue may have been the device and or AP trying to switch between 20/40/60 MHz channels, but I have no empirical data to back this up.
Even living in a rural area, and not having to compete with every 2.4 GHz router in the neighborhood, the 2.4 spectrum is still competing with Bluetooth devices, your microwave, etc.
The only device intermediate of the two was a gigabit switch. Dudley advised that I replace it with a 100Mb switch. His explanation was that the 6300, when connected to the gigabit unit, auto detects the faster device and can produce so much data that, on occasion, it can overwhelm the switch creating a log jam and therefore latency.
Of course given such a switch's location, this could occur no matter what the rest of the network looks like, WAN, LAN or VPN. He said that when connected to the slower switch, the 6300 auto detects this and cuts back on data quantity.
This advice seems counter intuitive to me but I followed his suggestion yesterday and put in the slower switch. So far I've had five green bars on the Maestro ever since.
Dudley also had some suggestions for gigabit switch models that would do better than mine but I lost track of them as I had a slower unit on the shelf. Maybe he can chime in here with that information.
Until today, I have not had any choppy audio dropouts but today I did. It then turned out that my iPhone accidentally connected to an Apple Airport Extreme AP which I setup for testing and forgot to remove the connection from my device. Normally, these WiFi APs are not too bad. I was using it for other purposes few times but I am normally using manageable professional WIFi APs. While having these issues, the Apple router was very close to my iPhone, connected via 1GBit and using 5GHz.
Once I switched back to my original WiFi router, which is a Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO router (also connected to a NetGear ProSafe GB Switch - like the Airport Extreme Router) all went back to normal. No dropouts, all smooth. After finding out this, I tried the same with some of my other devices iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 7 plus, iPhone 6 plus and even iPhone 5s. All the same, when working with the Apple AP, it gets choppy and I experienced audio dropouts. Not all the time, sometimes I had to wait quite some time. Once I switched back to the Ubiquity AP, all went well.
I can't see any issue on the Netgear Router when connecting via the Apple AP so it seems to be an issue with the Airport Router.
By the way, Ria, you asked to include some network traffic measurements to the App, maybe similar to the Windows Version. That's already implemented but I removed it for two reasons: 1.) When testing the App and especially during development time, I did use and test the App in poor network situations (e.g. high latency, poor bandwidth) and I found that measurement didn't really help much. But moreover 2.) these routines slowed down the App quite a bit as I had to add them in code sections where I was highly optimizing the code and everything I tried really slowed down the code. Not on an iPad Pro but on slower devices so I decided to remove that code again.
What version of iOS are you currently using? Can you correlate any of your issues to any of the recent iOS releases? I recently updated my iPAD Mini to 10.3 and noticed today there is a 10.3.1. Mine was working perfectly for several weeks but I've also noticed some choppiness this past week.
Radio: 6400M, firmware: v184.108.40.206
Router: Asus RT-AC87R, firmware: 220.127.116.11.382_50010
The 6400M is plugged directly into the RT-AC87R router.
If using 5 Ghz, SmartSDR for iOS is choppy, whether the router is set to auto or 802.11n compatibility, and whether channel width is 20, 40 or 80 Mhz. Lowering the display fps rate helps some but doesn't solve it.
If using 2.4Ghz it is smoother but not totally smooth. Whether the router is set to auto or 802.11n mode and channel width makes no difference.
This is a LAN issue so ISP should make no difference, but ISP is Comcast. The iPad Pro running a network test achieves 350 mbps down, 30 mbps up, ping= 10 ms, jitter = 1.4 ms
This seems similar to the issue discussed in this thread: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-for-ios-cutting-in-and-out