Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I configure so that HRD and WSJT can simultaneously control my 6400?

Rocinante
Rocinante Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a 6400 running version 3.x.  I have both WSJT and HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) installed on my computer. I always start WSJT first, because I want to be sure it can control my rig while making contacts via FT8.  After WSJT is running and connected to my 6400, I then start HRD. It also wants to control my rig, but I can't seem to configure it to operate simultaneously with WSJT. As a result, HRD and HRD Logbook always complain that they can't control the rig. It's not a huge horrible deal that I can't get this working, but I would love to configure my system so that both applications can happily connect with and control the 6400 at the same time.  How do I pull this off? Thanks!

73 Bill K4VM - operating in Acadia NP until ~ 7/15/2019

Answers

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I usually find it sufficient to define CAT ports for each program.

Usually, they only know about and deal with one slice, but that seems to cause me minimal problems.
  • Tom WM0L
    Tom WM0L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am running a Flex 6700 with HRD and WSJT-X.  One is enough!  I would think you will have other conflicts and all you really need is the logging part of HRD.  When you log in WSJT-X it will automatically send logging info to HRD log program when properly configured. 
    There are lots of how to guides online. 
    73 Tom WM0L Ainsworth, Nebraska  
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the replies, appreciated.  I already have WSJT logging directly into HRD, so no problem there, just thought it would be cool to have both programs happily working simultaneously with SSDR to control the radio. If that's not possible, I can work with the situation as is. Who knows, once Slicemaster is working with SSDR 3.x, the answer may change.

73 Bill K4VM
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks. I will look at further experimentation via the creation of additional CAT ports and think about multiple slices, one per controlling program. So far I've hit dead-ends here, but I'm probably missing something.

73 Bill K4VM
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I do not run HRD rig control, I only run HRD Logbook.  Initially, I had to run Ham Radio Deluxe to start HRD log.  I pinned the HRD log to my start menu, so now, I no longer need to start Rig Control to get to HRD Log.  

Within HRD log, make sure the radios are not connected on the radio pane.  If you select "options" on the radio pane, there is a checkbox to no longer connect automatically to the Flex on startup.
  • Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I will definitely try this, if only to stop HRD from crabbing at me when I launch it. Thanks!

73 Bill K4VM
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I run my 6400 with WSJT  HRD Control, HRD logbook, and DM 780 simultaneously.  All that's needed is the correct number of CAT ports.

Michael KM6LHD
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You could give Slice Master a try.  It knows how to configure DM780 for you and you can configure HRD Logbook to talk to Slice Master instead of talking to HRD Rig Control.  

Take a look here:  https://www.github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 for the README and instructions on how to get started.  There are some other threads here that go into more detail on setting up HRD Logbook with Slice Master.

--Don

• Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, Michael, for the CAT port recommendation!  I added a new virtual COM6 port, told HRD to use that, and it worked, just like magic, neat as anything. Very nice, very simple, and enables HRD to work with my radio as intended.

Hi, Don. Regarding Slice Master, I may play with that later, but before I do, I'm going to look for confirmation that it supports V3, which it did not support the last time I looked.  Still, thanks for the idea!

73 Bill K4VM

• Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I actually typically run 2 instances of WSJT (1 for ft8, 1 for ft4), js8call and DM780 simultaneously. I am limited by 2 pandapters on my 6400, but I keep an eye out for rtty, psk31, jscall and ft4 just switch frequencies to use a different digital mode when I see activity. All you need is more CAT ports.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bill,

As of v0.10.7 Slice Master supports the v3 API.

Good luck!

--Don

• Rocinante
    Rocinante Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Great stuff, thanks for the additional ideas. I'll have to go play with Slice Master, too. :)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    SliceMaster will allow HRD Logbook and DM780 to run without need for main HRD program. You don’t need the main HRD program. SliceMaster will also integrate WSJT-X as well as other programs (CW Skimmer, DX cluster integration to show DX spots on screen, etc). Don has done great work with SkiceMaster. Dave wo2x
  • Dale
    Dale Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but I think you want to run WSJT and HRD at the same time to control the radio. On WSJT, if you go to FILE / SETTINGS and then go to the RADIO tab and then under the RIG drop down, pick HAM RADIO DELUXE. This will allow WSJT to control HRD. Always start HRD first and then WSJT. I use it that way all the time and it works pretty much flawlessly. 

Dale N5VX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.