Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I config WSJT-X for new 6600 Radio?

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just powered up my new 6600 radio today after cabling it up.
Disclaimer:  This is my first Flex, and I have never used SmartSDR before.
I have, though, made 5,000 contacts with WSJT-X and JTDX on an Icom and Yaesu rig.

After googling and reading, all I can find is Flex tutorials that are outdated, or for previous versions of software and radios.  I have just installed WSJT-X ver 1.9.1 today.  Verified it is working on the Icom 7300.

Some of the wrong and outdated tutorials here say to use rig TS-2000, others say to use Rig setting Flex 6xxx in the radio setup menu of WSJT-X.   Then, some articles say to make a TCP CAT port mapping, but don't point to how, or even link to documentation.

Does anyone else have a new 6400 or 6600 and have WSJT-X working?
And if you don't like typing a long "how to config" tutorial (Which is really needed, by the way),
would you be willing to chat on the phone?

Cheers,

Neal

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This is my standard answer:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ft8-setup-with-flex-6300

You do need 1.9 and up for the 6600 or 1.8 with a special patch, but 1.9 is recommended anyway since it has new features including the DXpedition mode.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If you need further assistance (eg. TeamViewer or a phone call) email me. I'm good in QRZ.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    This video  might help too.

You have 2 things to setup.  CAT and DAX (just like a regular sound card).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwDFbVTqQg

Mike
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Hope Ria was helpful.  Don't use v 1.9, it is for Fox/Hound DXpedition .  Re-download v 1.8

Open DAX, and Radio Panel,the RX panel has a DAX button, click it Blue.  In DAX Control Panel TX Stream, click TX Blue (click Mic Stream off Gray), RX streams 1 Slice A (click it Blue)

WSJT-X v 1.8 ; Settings>input DAX Audio RX 1 (FlexRadio Systems DAX Audio)

output DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems DAX TX)

that's it, good luck, 73

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Don't use v 1.9, it is for Fox/Hound DXpedition .  Re-download v 1.8
    This is incorrect.

1.9 is in GA and not in RC anymore so it’s suitable for regular use. I would strongly recommend upgrading to 1.9 anyway. Joe and the WSJT development group always recommend running the latest release software.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Here is a list of the improvements since 1.8:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/New_Features_1.9.1.txt

1.9 is well worth the upgrade, and not just for the DXpedition mode. I've been running dev builds for a while now.
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Neal, I’m in the exact same boat but I have never worked digital at all. I’ll go through the links that Ria posted above and start there. I got a feeling I’m close but missing something simple... Thanks Rob
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I was never able to get 1.8 to run on my Flex 6600. As soon as I upgraded to 1.9, my CAT started working. However, I still had to select TS-2000 as the transceiver and not Flex 6xxx.

Jim, K6QE

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My overly biased opinion is that Slice Master 6000 is worth a try. 

It's an easy download and unzip.  Then, assuming you've already installed WSJT-X, it will configure it for you and launch it on any or all of your slices.  But, it will also get you going with other digimode programs too, like DM780, flDigi, GRITTY, and even CW Skimmer if you have them installed.

The README at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 links to the current release.

Much of what has been said or referenced in this thread is still very useful and even necessary information.  Slice Master just takes some of the fun out of the configuration process and then automates the launch sequence.

• K7LER
    K7LER Member
    edited June 2018
    Nice timing of question. My 6600 arrives in a couple days and will be doing this and HRD right off.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Ria!
    I will try the link you supplied in the morning.  I printed it out and that
    answers my questions about what SmartCAT is for.

REF:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ft8-setup-with-flex-6300

Cheers,

Neal
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018

I use The Flex 6xxx TCP connection on my 6600.

For CAT control first go into SmartSDR CAT and create a new virtual TCP CAT port for slice A. I used 5004. See picture below.

Then make sure CAT is started. In WSJT-X choose Flex 6xxx and for the IP enter 127.0.0.1:5004. Select CAT for PTT,  mode is Data/Pkt, and split operation is Fake It.

For DAX make sure DAX  is open and TX Stream and RX Stream A are enabled. I use a level of 43 for each. 

In WSJT-X under Audio tab set input to DAX Audio RX 1. Set output to DAX Audio TX. See pic below.

In SmartSDR click DAX on the RX A flag and choose DAX RX 1. On the right side panel make sure DAX is enabled for TX.

Last, use a good program to verify your PC time is accurate. I use Meinberg NTP Client. It is free and works well. https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm 

When installing don't forget to choose the time server pools. I use the US pools since I live in the US.

Have fun!

Dave wo2x

imageimage

• Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Got things working, Ria's information helped a lot.  I had a few things wrong.  Now to learn how to read what is in front of me...  :-0

In the frequency section of WSJT-X, frequency calibration...  How critical is it and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get that information!
  • sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I just downloaded the new WSJT ver 1.9.1 and the file appears to be unsafe.

Norton Security (latest 2018 version) immediately alerted me that the download file was unsafe and was removed.
    "swjtx-1.9.1-win32.exe is not safe adn has been removed"

I was downloading the WSJT file from the SourceForge.net site:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/latest/download?source=typ_redirect
    I then downloaded the file from a different mirror in PhoenixNap (Tempe, AZ) and again Norton flagged it as not safe.
    Anyone else experiencing this?  Norton Security is my most reliable security program I use.
  • kd5foy
    kd5foy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Temporarily stop Norton Security.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    That's normal. Just disable your AV before the install. Antivirus software sometimes calculates a checksum and any unknown file it doesn't already have a signature for will usually be tossed or quarantined. Some of the better ones will send the signature to their lab for validation. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Don't worry about that. You are running a Flex... so run Flex's calibration which uses WWV. OR if like me you are using a GPSDO it is always dead on so just leave the offsets at zero. The calibration is for lesser radios that don't have built in calibration to WWV or GPS.

On FT8 it doesn't even matter because the software decodes the whole window. It only matters for modes like WSPR. The dial frequency might be a bit off but does it matter?

Also you can use WSJT to measure frequencies, say for the ARRL FMT (frequency measuring test). It's fun to see how your radio does.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2019
    Hi Ria:

I tried the setup, and no luck with using rig type FlexRadio 6xxx in WSJT-X radio tab.
    [I can get CAT TEST to work if I use rig type KENWOOD TS-2000 and the COM 7 that
    Smart CAT created on my PC.   But I can't get rig type FlexRadio 6xxx to work like other
    people are.  I would like to understand what is different.

I am running SmartSDR ver 2.2.8.   In SmartCAT, when I open it, it actually came with two 
    predefined entries;

Serial: COM7,  Slice A  Auto Switch TX,  Process wsjt-x

and

TCP: Port 5002    Slice A   Auto Switch TX

I set my radio to a static IP address on my local Lan:  192.168.86.73

My Windows 10 64-bit desktop is DHCP, and connects to the radio fine.
    SmartSDR operates normally as far as I can tell.
    I am running WSJT-X ver 1.9.1
    I am starting it with shortcut target:  C:WSJTwsjtxinwsjtx.exe --rig-name=Flex6600
    to ensure that the Flex setup uses a different config file and folder from my Icom and
    Yaesu setups.

If Rig Type is set to FlexRadio 6xxx and I click TEST CAT, it turns red and I get an
    error pop-up that says:
    Rig Failure
    Hamlib Error:  IO error while opening connection to rig.  OK

It feels like I am real close.  With COM 7 and Kenwood TS-2000 settings, I can get
    WSJT-X receive and TX going with the TUNE button.  But I'd like to understand the
    FlexRadio 6xxx setting with TCP/IP number and port, and why that will not work.

Does anyone have suggestions on what else to check?
    Or is it time for a TeamViewer Session?
    And, can you do a TeamViewer session if my primary display is
    resolution 2560 x 1440 ?

Cheers,

Neal
    N6YFM
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Neal, I can help you via TeamViewer.

But before I do, I think I know what's wrong.

For the IP, don't use the radio IP. Instead, use 127.0.0.1. The TCP connection from WSJT-X is from WSJT-X to the SmartSDR CAT app on the PC, not directly to the radio.  No version of WSJT-X as far as I know of supports direct connection to the radio.

Also, if you use it with TS-2000 and a serial port, it will work fine. I think it may even work better because HamLib has a bug where it hangs and stops reading frequency after a while.

Let me know how it works out, and if you're still stuck - email me at n2rj@arrl.net and I'll have a go.

Ria

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited June 2018
    That was it!  Sorry for mis-reading that.  It makes perfect sense if I stop to think
    that SmartCAT is running on LocalHost, and the virtual COM7 mapped to TCP port 5002 is on LOCALHOST.   D U H :-)

Just tested, it works fine.   Now to test a real QSO...

Cheers,

Neal
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Have fun. 6 meters is on fire. :)

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The official downloads seem to come from the physics.princeton.edu website, so I would be suspicious of any downloads from SourceForge and would avoid disabling the antivirus protection if there is any doubt about the authenticity of the download. 

This is the official download: 

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-1.9.1-win32.exe

Matt NQ6N
  • sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Matt: I used the 'official' download link you provided.
    It worked 100% and Norton accepted it.  Thanks.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Worked EA8DBM off the West Coast of Africa Western Sahara to Los Angeles here on my Flex6600M with FT8 on yesterday's 6meter opening

WOW ! Great DX contact and confirmed in LOTW today

A number of West Coast Stations in Southern California worked Africa on FT8 

Check out PSK Reporter - Best 6 meter opening ever !!

Mike
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2018
    Most frustrating 6M opening ever!! LOL We can't hear any EU/Africa DX here in VE3 land.   Just the guys working them.

Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.