Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How can I test USB ports on 6600M?

julie
julie Member
I'm connecting a SteppIR SDA 100 controller (top data connector) directly to my new 6600M using the S-12 cable and an RT Systems (RT-3) USB to Serial converter.  Problem is the 6600M does not see the cable on the USB port.  Also tried another USB to Serial converter (cheapo eBay via China adapter) with no joy.

Is there a way I may test the USB connectors to make sure they are working and it's not a cable / USB to Serial converter problem?

Many, many thanks for any input or suggestions.

julie
ac0wn

Answers

• LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Julie Try this for info: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/ Good luck Ke2yc Larry
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    By the way. Welcome to Flex Have fun
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Flex USB Ports only have support for FTDI Chip set devices and cables.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I was wondering what would happen if you plugged a ICOM RC-28 remote encoder into a 6600M flex radio??? I know Flex has their own remote encoder,, but I have a RC-28 sitting on the shelf....

Robert WA6PHN
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited August 2019
    Larry ... thank you for the link and the kind words.  :)  I had already read that doc a couple times and done quite a bit of testing on the cable to ensure the correct pin-outs.

Bret ... both the USB to Serial adapters I've tried are FTDI devices, but of course there are about a million flavors of those.  :P

Robert ... sorry, but I have no idea on the RC-28 at this point.

So thank you all for the help, but the question remains "How do I test the USB port functionality?"

julie
    ac0wn
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Julie Send email I’m good on qrz. I’ll see if I can help further. Ke2yc Larry
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited March 2019
    This problem is resolved.  First off a thank you to all who commented and assisted ... especially to Larry, KE2YC who took the time to patiently explain to me over the land line that not all FTDI chips are equal.  :)

Larry also gave me a great deal of information to get me started with my new Flex radio ... so thank you again Larry!

Now for the fix:  One must use the "correct" FTDI Chip Set adapter as it apprears that not all FTDI chips work with the Flex radio.  I tried three USB to Serial adapters and only the Ugreen one was recognized by the 6600M.  So I put each one of the adapters on a rpi3 and used the "dmesg | grep usb" command to look at the chipset they were using.  I believe the key lines that "tell the tale" are these:

RT Systems adapter (does not work with Flex):
    [   60.492165] usb 1-1.4: Product: USB <-> Serial
    [   60.492172] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: FTDI
    [   61.565496] usb 1-1.4: Detected FT232BM

Cheapo china adapter (does not work with Flex):
    [   60.492165] usb 1-1.4: Product: USB <-> Serial
    [   60.492172] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: FTDI
    [   61.565496] usb 1-1.4: Detected FT232BM

Ugreen USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Adapter Cable (FTDI) (This one works)
    [    2.484371] usb 1-1.4: Product: FT232R USB UART
    [    2.484385] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: FTDI
    [    2.484405] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: A906U5TE
    [    4.314332] usb 1-1.4: Detected FT232RL

Here's the amazon link to the good one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUZY4JC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another day, another lesson learned.  :)

julie
    ac0wn

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    a lot of cheep cables that say there FTDI aren't a real FTDI chipset cable, I think the key is the "FTDI chipset with Full hardware Handshake" in the description some where. 

Here is a NULL MODEM that works for a lot of Devices that require a Null Modem cable. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XG6S7YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most of the time the cheep ones DON't work, the real FDTI chipset cabels cost about $16.00 and up.

For a standard RS-232 cable, I have only use the REAL FTDI Branded cables like Flex sells so not sure of a amazon cable part number.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    OH These China Adapters!! I got a new Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop computer for my ham gear...  Went a got a Lenovo USB-C to USB 3.1-SD card Hub.. Everything worked like a champ but the cable from the adapter is very short..

So I went on line , eBay, and got a USB-C 8" extension... So this is a simple Male to Female USB-C extension.. I mean how complicated can this be!!!! It said it was good for Power, Video, Data, etc.  When it arrived it did not work... My USB ports on the hub would not work, but the green LED on the Hub lit up!!! The seller felt it was a defective unit, so they sent me another one, same issue!!!!

So I went to Amazon and found an extension, but noticed a lot of negative reviews???

The reviews basically said the same thing that I was experiencing, would not work on a USB-C hub!!  I know a lot about needing High Speed, 18GB certified HDMI cables from my 4K HDR player to my AVR and from the AVR to the 4K HDR TV set. Without these high end cables, I could not get YouTube 4K HDR to work... But a regular HDMI cable would work fine from my 4K Player to the TV set... This had me scratching my head till I took ma deep dive into why YouTube was different then playing a 4K movie...

Once I had the correct cables, took 3 tries,,, My TV set went into HDR mode, all was good... I am presuming that these USB-C cables are missing some internal wires... BTW, thanks for the heads up on the FTDI Chip Set that works!!!

Always some sort of challenge when you pair up a 12AT7 or 6BA6 against 21,000 lines of code!!! LOL

Happy Easter folks,, wife is calling, dinner time

Robert
    WA6PHN
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Julie

I had the same problem.  I have literally a drawer full of usb - serial adapters and none of them worked.  I bought a Ugreen and it works perfectly.

Thank you

73 Gordon

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    The radios only work with Genuine FTDI chipsets, not the knock-offs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.