Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How about adding an RST meter to the Flex 6600m display?

James Charlton
James Charlton Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
This RST meter would be primarily for contesters and would appear in a small window on the active slice.   If only background noise were present, it would display RST:000.  If any other signal were present, RST:599 would be displayed.  Of course, for non-cw modes, it would display only 59.

A simpler version would be one where you skip the RST:000 part and just display 599 all the time.

Some readers may claim that this would be inaccurate, but they would be wrong.  A check of contester logs indicates that virtually all contacts are 599 or 59.

So, go for it,Flex.  Be the first to offer an RST meter!

Regards,

Jaimie "Jim"  Charlton   AD0AB

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Given the API's available, it wouldn't take much coding to create one of these pretty quickly :-)
    While we're at it, why not have it automatically log the RST into HRD or N1MM+???

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cool Idea, then all the operator would have to do is turn the radio on add soap and push go to do contests and of course then just go watch a Baseball game and drink a **** when you came back to the radio you would have worked 500 or 600 stations.

HI HI
    73's

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is it April 1st already?
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Isn't that the way FT8 works now? 
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Oh, my bad.  I'm retired so, every month is pretty much the same. 

Still, seeing all the comments about degrading the Flex S meter to old boat anchor performance levels caused me to rise to an even greater height of silliness/sarcasm.

Regards, Jaimie "Jim" Charlton  AD0AB

• James Whiteway
    edited July 2018
    On a bit of a serious note, how is adding an analog meter, as an "option" (user selectable for those living in Burbank) silly? Don't want it? Don't select it ! Simple. It's no different than not using any of the other "options" in SSDR. It certainly won't degrade SSDR.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You have a point, one man's serious can be another man's silly.  Until I saw the various comments, I hadn't given the S meter a thought. 

In my mind, the S meter on analog radios I've used has always been useless in contests - which is what I often do.  Everybody gives 599 or 59 regardless of signal strength.  In fact, I've been in the IARU contest going on now and I've never received anything less than 599. 

Additionally, if someone wanted a higher S meter reading from a user of an analog radio all the user had to do was turn on a preamp.  Then, like magic, the S meter read higher ahd the far end was happy -  even though the signal didn't get any stronger. 

To your point, there is one case I know of where an S meter reading is useful and that is when the distant station is trying modifications and you are giving him comparative readings.  Even then, it is a poor method or measurement.  Since a change of one S unit in signal strength is supposed to represent a 6dB change which is the equivalent to a change of 4X. 

It's sort of like having a tape measure which only has marks every 4 feet.  Usable, but not very precise.

Personally, I think the dBm scale is far better than any S meter scale.  It is more precise and actually has some technical meaning.

As far as I'm concerned, Flex will make the call.  If they think adding an old-style S meter will increase market share, they'll do it.  In the mean time, I will consider it the electronic equivalent of putting a buggy whip socket on a Tesla.

Jim  AD0AB  
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Half Full Or Half Empty?

=======================

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    They already have that mode its called ft8, maybe the fcc could make a license class for ft8 and all it would test is your ability to turn on a computer and load software.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.