Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hook a mixer AUX out via balanced 1/4 TRS to flex 6300.

Over the last six months, I have switched to a 12 channel mixer (Yamaha MG12XU) to consolidate the out from 3 different radios ( flex6300,chinese **** mobile, and a BC436), an amazon echo, roku and the ham computer to a SINGLE set studio speakers with the radios also going to a second amp hooked to a pair of icom sp-3s.  

I have the bugs worked out and I can route audio to the correct volume/speaker and spacial location in the room. I also have the computer capable of recording/playing at 24bit/192K.

Now I am at the next step and hooked up a Heil 781 and it works great. I have managed to get the board hooked up to the chinese junk since I decided to sacrifice the junk microphone to the cause.

What is the best way to hook the board up to directly to the Flex 6300? I have a maestro based use case and do not want to run smartSDR on the windows computer.  I have seen the heil xlr->yasue/flex adapter but I want to go via one of the stage monitor 1/4" TRS outputs.  Basically the same as the XLR adapter, but with 1/4TRS and I can not find one anywhere. Worse comes to worse, I guess I could go with a TRS to XLR cable and then the heil adapter.

Ideas?

Answers

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I'm following you on this. I have my radio setup in my audio studio with a similar setup.  Curious how you resolve this though.  I thought the output connectors on the Flex radio until were 1/8" mono type. 
    Tom KB5RF 6400M
  • David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The high end flex radios ( which I do not have) have an XLR on the back.

I have a 6300, and want to use the 8 pin foster in the front, along with a footswitch.  

There is a Heil adapter that will let you hook an XLR ( not sure where they are getting phantom power)  in this manner. 

For input I am using the line-out 1/8 TRS and breaking it into two channels for the mixer.  This then allows me to leave the Maestro slices at (50% AF, slice A - 100% left, Slice B 100% right) and handle audio control from the mixer. 

This is then routed to its destination and able to be recorded if needed.

Before I did this, I have 5 sets of speakers, multiple headphones, etc and could never hear multiple sources at once.  Now everything feeds into a pair of KRK Rockit 6's, seinheiser headphones, and my old stereo hooked to a indoor SP-3 on one channel, and a outdoor speaker for the right channel.

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I've been using a Mackie Big Knob Studio Monitor Controller and Interface. However I'm starting to outgrow it now that I've an iMac and two PCs.  I'm consider a mixer given the additional flexibility for routing (as you stated).
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    For the FLEX-6300, use the front panel 8-pin Foster connector and wire it as a balanced audio connection (do not connect GND to MIC-) since the front connector is a pseudo balanced audio input.

Turn off the +20 dB mic preamp and the 5 V mic bias.

Do not use the audio input on the AUX connector as it is unbalanced.

When connecting outboard audio equipment to any radio, be mindful of ground loops.  You may need to use an isolator to break the electrical connection between them, like the W2IHY iBox.
  • pete2e0hvd
    pete2e0hvd Member, Unconfirmed
    i have a flex 6300 and trying to use my dbx 286 which is a trs output can i go direct to the 8 pin foster and if so does anybody know the correct wiring, i know the yaesu wiring and i tried this with no joy any help would be gratefully appreciated
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

On SmartSDR did you make sure you have the MIC setting the the Microphone set for "MIC"

The Flex 6300 does use the YAESU basic wiring, just make sure you have the MIC-- connected to MIC-- on the Mixer and the shield to the Mixer connected to the Radio's Chassis ground.

Found this on a FLEX community Search

• pete2e0hvd
    pete2e0hvd Member, Unconfirmed
    thanks for the info
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Though I've never had a 6300 I understand it doesn't have a rear panel mic input but have used 6700 (XLR input, 3.5mm stereo output), 6500 (XLR input, 3.5mm stereo output), and 5000A (3.5mm input/output), connected to various outboard gear, Behringer preamp, mixer, Yamaha, Mackie mixers. Currently using an old Vestax DJ mixer to take audio from various sources (radio A, radio B, computer A, computer B), to feed a pair of JBL Contral 2P power speakers. Using a UR6QW EQ v.6 (Yaesu version) inline between the PR-40 and Flex 6700.

Once the RFI issues were resolved, I found ground loops quite a problem when using various outboard gear so I use ground loop isolators (GLI) between the output of every radio/computer and the mixer input. Also found it necessary to use a GLI on the 3.5mm line input for the Flex 5000A and the Anan 8000 when I had those for a while.

If you don't want to get a W2IHY or UR6QW box, and you want to use a mixer to feed audio to the radio, it maybe a little more work wiring one end of a GLI into the 8-pin Foster connector but well worth it. You can get GLI's in various configurations, stereo 3.5mm in/out, RCA in/out etc. I've used the Pyle products but are showing currently unavailable on Amazon.

Note: 3.5mm or 1/8", tomato, tomahto

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.