Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

History Has Been Made: First 6700 to 6700 EME QSO

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
The first ever Flex 6700 to Flex 6700 EME (earth-moon-earth) QSO was completed today (June 12, 2014 at 0050Z) between W0VB and W5UN on 144.129 mHZ using  JT65B digital mode. No transverters were used. Both stations were equipped with the new DEMI LDPA's (low drive power amplifiers) which were developed explicitly for use with the low output power from the Flex 6700's on 2 meters. The LDPA's  subsequent drove high power amps: 1kw output to a single  8wl M2 yagi aimed at the rising moon at W0VB, and 1.5kw to the W5UN "Mighty Big Antenna". (see photo on QRZ.COM). The QSO was made under less than ideal EME conditions.

Terry called me on the land line afterwards and we both raised our symbolic champagne glasses in a toast to celebrate this historic event.

Dave, W5UN

Comments

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Way Cool!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Congrats Guys!  

In case others might be curious as to what Dave referred to as the DEMI LDPA specifically made for the Flex 6700/6500 radios......

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/PDF/LDPA_PD.PDF

• Terry, W0VB
    Terry, W0VB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Nice job Dave..... signals came through very nicely after the Faraday rotation cooperated. I was not using any external mast mounted preamp - just the preamp that's included in the DEMI LDPA amp and the 6700 itself. Pretty much barefoot on the receive side.

I will have to look on the horizon for some more EME contacts. This 6700 keeps astounding me every time I turn it on.

Thanks again for being on the other end of the QSO.
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Congratulations! 
    Ted
    NX6C
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Awesome!  Would love to see any screen shots you have ;-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Really awesome!  Well done!
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Congratulations, Terry and Dave!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.