History Has Been Made: First 6700 to 6700 EME QSO

• Praise
  • Updated 5 years ago
The first ever Flex 6700 to Flex 6700 EME (earth-moon-earth) QSO was completed today (June 12, 2014 at 0050Z) between W0VB and W5UN on 144.129 mHZ using  JT65B digital mode. No transverters were used. Both stations were equipped with the new DEMI LDPA's (low drive power amplifiers) which were developed explicitly for use with the low output power from the Flex 6700's on 2 meters. The LDPA's  subsequent drove high power amps: 1kw output to a single  8wl M2 yagi aimed at the rising moon at W0VB, and 1.5kw to the W5UN "Mighty Big Antenna". (see photo on QRZ.COM). The QSO was made under less than ideal EME conditions.

Terry called me on the land line afterwards and we both raised our symbolic champagne glasses in a toast to celebrate this historic event.

Dave, W5UN
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
Way Cool!
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 886 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Congrats Guys!  

In case others might be curious as to what Dave referred to as the DEMI LDPA specifically made for the Flex 6700/6500 radios......

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/PDF/LDPA_PD.PDF

Photo of Greta Jones

Greta Jones

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nice!

Photo of Terry, W0VB

Terry, W0VB

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Nice job Dave..... signals came through very nicely after the Faraday rotation cooperated. I was not using any external mast mounted preamp - just the preamp that's included in the DEMI LDPA amp and the 6700 itself. Pretty much barefoot on the receive side.

I will have to look on the horizon for some more EME contacts. This 6700 keeps astounding me every time I turn it on.

Thanks again for being on the other end of the QSO.
Photo of Ted, NX6C

Ted, NX6C

• 85 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Congratulations! 
Ted
NX6C
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1057 Posts
  • 1097 Reply Likes
Awesome!  Would love to see any screen shots you have ;-)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Really awesome!  Well done!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Congratulations, Terry and Dave!