Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High CPU usage since installing SmartSDR/CAT.

Andrew VK5CV
Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
G'day, In my Core2 Duo, 2.1GHz, Win7 ultimate x86, 3g Ram, Hybrid HDD system PSDR ran at under 30%CPU load. This was in fact largely panadapter graphic activity. Since installing SmartSDR CPU runs 40% for SmartSDR and 50% for NT kernal and system. Flex 6500. Not a lot of CPU headroom for anything else. NT kernal and system is active at this level with no applications running. I have seen mentions of this on Google for years (even with Vista) but no solutions for me yet. Any pointers are welcome. All drivers are uptodate as far as I can determine. Andrew de VK5ZUC

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Andrew, Two suggestions... one check to make sure you have a reasonable graphics card in your system and that SmartSDR detects and is using the GPU. If you go to the setting menu on SmartSDR, it will tell you whether GPU acceleration is being used. Second, use the display button on the left of SmartSDR and reduce the frame rate. The default is 30 fps and from memory, PowerSDR was 15. Try reducing the frame count and you should see the CPU usage go down. SmartSDR really benefits from a GPU - even inexpensive graphics cards now have high power GPUs. Stu K6TU
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Stu, This seems to be independant of SmartSDR running. The high CPU usage is present all the time even with no apps running. Unfortunately my graphics card is limited and not upgradable in a small form factor box. However it copes with reduced frame rates and a smaller window. It is running direct X 11 and full hardware acceleration. New video drivers that came with a Dell 27inch screen helped a lot too. I suspect the Realtek 1G ethernet device but am stuck with it for now. Again limited upgrade path. An older driver may be better. After paying for the 6500 I want to avoid shelling out for a new PC. Andrew
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try shutting down the CAT program, it seems to have CPU usage issues over a short time, you only need the CAT program running if your running any Loggers or other programs that use the CAT interface Bret Mills WX7Y
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Bret, Closing CAT doesn't seem to help. Will try to stop it starting. Andrew
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Guys, Tried all sorts of things. Finally Process Explorer tracked it down to a long expired and unused trial sound card program driver that was 2 years old! Why it was cranky just now who knows. Fine after it was uninstalled. PS: In the shower this AM I realised that when I set up the sound card with CAT for digital modes I may have selected that device even if only for an instant. Andrew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.