Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

high-temp fan noise

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
After a longish digital session, the high-temperature fans came on on my 6500 and really startled me.  I am aware that this is how they're supposed to work - https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how_do_the_fans_operate_in_the_flex_6000.  My complaint is that the fast fans are really loud in my quiet shack.

I would like a warning, please. A PA temperature read-out and/or a warning that the fans are about to go into high gear would be appreciated.  Even better would be a tapered increase in fan speed, proportional to temperature.  That would be more civilized than "slow" vs "emergency high" that we have now.  Thanks for a great radio despite this minor issue!

Further thought -  It would be a smart use of the 6500/6700 panel display to show environmental data, including supply voltage, PA temperature, etc.  I get tired of watching my call sign all day.

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My display says ...

Enjoy

Sometimes, I need a reminder.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DDUTIL has a Temp and voltmeter built in on it's main screen.

WX7Y

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    .... Flex 6xxx send the temp and voltage value to DDutil? I dont believe :-)
    And what happend if i dont use ddutil? I have never used.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Flex 6xxx fan's are whistle buoy
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Then you simply don't see what the Temperature and Voltage is at the Radio, Sorry your missing out on ALL the GREAT features that DDUTIL offers and bringing these things out for the user to see at a glance, I've used it since 2008 on my Flex 5000 and now on the 6700.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK, i have to give a try. 73 Chris
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mine says redrum
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Startled?  This is a joke, right?  It couldn't be a complaint...de W3DCB
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    ANC headphones, get a set, be happy.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I like my loud fan. Reminds me that I need to reduce TX power or keydown length or both.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just to add some serious ideas: I have always wondered that PowerSDR and SmartSDR don't show temperature and voltage on their main screen, although both are measured and can be read by external programs (SmartSDR) or opened in an additional window (PowerSDR). Showing temperature and voltage should be made optional.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I would think before the SSDR is finished it will be added.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm using a Laptop cooler that my Flex 6300 sit's on, It's the perfect size has three fans running 24/7 and you cant hear them, Very quite...Keeps things very cool,
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've noticed that the fans come on more quickly in the latest release than they did before.  My resting ambient temp according to DDUTIL is 31.8C.  The fans now come on at 40C.  I'd never noticed them kicking in except after a much longer digital transmission before.  Now, even an extended CW calling series will activate them.  I even opened the case to make sure there wasn't a dust buildup, but everything was clean inside.  Tim...was the activation parameter changed in this release?
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Software is never finished; they just stop updating it.  The trick is to get your desired enhancement moved up to higher priority. (before the developers move on to the next great thing.)  Is there a public list somewhere of possible improvements, where people can indicate their preferences?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You just posted to it.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Martin, I did not mean to say finished as in stopping. You did not understand me. The software updates with all the basic features planed will be done by V2.0 After that features will be purchased if they interest you.
    Because of the way some have acted in regards to the road map they had, Flex is not so fast on saying much any more about up coming plans. People racked them for being late on two releases. One was one week late and the other was a couple months. So now, we just wait and see, when they release they release.

Flex reads all the post here and they know what people want, but they are on a plan and sticking to it as it seems, I never have been much of a believer of getting them to move things up the order to please some, they have a plan.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I haven't noticed any change in when the fan kicks into high speed since loading SSDR 1.4.16.  I like to work JT-65 and JT-9 using WSJT-X.  I've had many occasions where I've worked stations one after another without a break for over an hour at a time.  That's a full hour of 1 min. TX, then 1 minute RX and the high speed fan does not come on at all.   I'm also using DDutil to monitor my 6300 temp.   My radio sits around 27.6C (81.6 F) ambient and will rise to around 135-140 F during long digital sessions like I mentioned above but I'm using an external fan to **** air across the outside of the rig.  It's made a huge difference.  The external fan is also very quiet compared to the internal one.   During a recent excursion with the XYL I ran across this fan for only $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond.   Prior to adding this external fan I could only go about 15-20 minutes before the internal temp was high enough to kick in the noisy internal fan. 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What are we saying then, are we adding extra cooling to our rigs because the cooling inside is not doing the job? or are we doing it even though everything is working as designed? And the temp is within specs.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bill I think the internal cooling is working fine and is adequate.  I just feel I'm pushing the limits when I see the temp rise on DDUTIL during my long digital sessions and adding some external cooling may prolong my rigs PA's.  I'm protecting my investment.   I've owned a few other modern rigs and they too have fans that come on during these same type sessions.  

Cal / N3CAL
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I like Corey's idea of using a laptop cooler under it.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is there any reason to think that the internal fans aren't able to adequately cool the radio? AFAIK they can do the job. My suggestion is just that Flex could use a proportional controller (like many CPU coolers). The max / idle "**** ****" fan control is annoying when high speed is triggered.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited September 2015
    Bill, My reason of adding the 20.00 Laptop cooler wasn't because my 6300 was over heating. It was done as a precaution, Same as being used under my Laptop's in the Shack.  
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I wonder what the Flex folks think about using a laptop cooler? Will it make a difference? Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It certainly can't hurt.  The chassis is part of the total thermal mass of the radio and if more air is moving around it, that should aid in the thermal dissipation. If the cooler is USB powered, I would be hesitant on plugging it into the radio's USB port since you do not know how well the power input line is filtered. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    "Tim...was the activation parameter changed in this release?"

There are no changes listed in our development logs to indicate any modifications  to the fan operation logic.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ...for me: since the hardware mod at FR (for me) the fan noise is much louder; maybe the lowest (minimum) speed is the problem or(!) before mod the fan was power on at different temp point. Fact is: fan it's to noisy for a modern high end device.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And that is a FACT? Is this in your opinion or is there a noise level acceptance guide somewhere for modern high end devices?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, a fact! What else?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.