High SWRs on ant 1 and 2 through internal SWR meter but no power out on stand alone watt meter

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
My 6300 is apparently not putting out any power (as checked through a Siltronix FS-301).  The internal swr meter is off the scale as well.  I have a Kenwood TS130SE that shows 85 watts out with 1:1 swr through the same meter to the same antenna (TransWorld 1020).  Am I missing something or has my 6300 gone south?
Photo of Russ Locke

Russ Locke

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 786 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Check your antenna selection in Smart SDR. Sounds like you are transmitting into nothing. Also antenna tuner possibly.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 236 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Siltronix -- the CB people?
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 454 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Steve,

Let’s check several things. I apologize if they seem trivial but it’s important to eliminate possible cause of no RF power,

1. TX Antenna (the red selection) is on a proper antenna
2. In radio settings you do not have TX Inhibit selected
3. The RF power level is set maximum
4. Set mode to CW. Try tune and MOX

If none of these settings fix the issue then perform a hardware reset. https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-...

If it still doesn’t work then open a help desk ticket. Please let me know the outcome.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of Russ Locke

Russ Locke

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK, This is weird.....I checked (double checked in most cases) all and everything was OK.  set mode to CW and swr was 1:1.2!  I changed nothing, it just started to work! 
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 454 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I’m glad it’s working.
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
This sounds like something I encounter from time to time, but have never been able to replicate consistently.  I switch antennas, and it's like I have no antenna connected.  I switch bands, slices, and antennas once or twice, and then, everything is back to normal.   I feel like a relay is hanging,  but I honestly don't have a clue.    It is however fairly regular.

Glad you don't have to part with the rig.

Bob, WK2Y
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 113 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Check the cable. It sounds like a connector intermittent.
Bob

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I had that thought.  I've wiggled cables, swapped cables, cleaned connectors, and cursed at cables, but it just doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.  My next step is to hire a shaman.

More seriously, I think at some frequency and power level, I am getting RF in the shack.  I just need to spend some more time doing the detective work and probably up my RF grounding. 

Bob, WK2Y
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 454 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Bob,

Respectfully, you can't get enough RF grounding to be effective in your shack. If you have RF in your shack then it is likely common mode current on your coax. I highly recommend this current balun which will usually solve the issue. https://www.balundesigns.com/model-1115di-dual-core-isolation-balun-1-5-54-mhz-5kw/

I have many products from this company but do not have a commercial interest. 

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I have baluns on both antennas, but boy is that a nice one. Lots of good info on that site too.

I think the real issue is the Hexbeam is located directly above the shack.  I'm probably in it's RF field.  Not a good thing. You are probably right that no matter what I do in the shack it's not going to help.   I need to move the antenna to the center of the house and get it higher.  Just need to get a round tuit, if you know what I mean. (They are so hard to find.)    When I first put the antenna up, I thought I was doing myself a favor by having it close and minimizing the coax length. Now I know, I didn't need to worry about the losses. 

Spring is here. Perfect time. Now I just need to get to it before the roof gets too hot here in Atlanta.

Thanks for the link.

Bob, WK2Y