High-speed wifi a benefit?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I am awaiting delivery of a Flex 6600M, my first SDR.  I intend to use it locally with the front panel and with SmartLink using my iPad Pro 10.5.  Spectrum is now offering to increase my download speed from 100 mb/sec (actually 60 as measured by Ookla) to 400 mb/sec for $25/month.  Would this upgrade improve my station's performance at all?  Thanks.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Steiner, K7QDX

Mike Steiner, K7QDX

• 40 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I believe if you are using it local (local network internally to your house) with the iPad than having high speed internet wouldn't make a difference. But if you are going to remote in from a difference network (location) than high speed would help.
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 401 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
I thought the flex only needed a 200Kbit per second connection?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
If you're running full rate panadapter you need more, like a few MBps. 
Photo of Mike Steiner, K7QDX

Mike Steiner, K7QDX

• 40 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Would you trust dial-up? Not saying due to bandwidth, but connection.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
Official Response
More download isn't really of much benefit. However if it comes with a corresponding increase in UPLOAD speed, then by all means go for it and you will benefit if you run remote. My home connection is 100/10 and I can run 2-3 panadapters comfortably. I really haven't tried more remotely but I suppose it will work.

Otherwise if you do not plan to run remote (SmartLink or VPN) I would not bother. 

If you can get a good 802.11ac access point or router with 5GHz capability that would help while you are home.  This is especially important if you live in a densely populated area or even have neighbors less than a few hundred feet away because the 2.4GHz band gets crowded and 5GHz supports faster data rates with channel bonding anyway.
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 401 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
I thought the Maestro can work remotely if only 200KB/sec internet speeds?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

Yes it will work on that slow a network but you have to slow down the display and limit the visible bandwidth to the point where you are almost using a legacy blind radio.

You need to higher upload speeds if you want fast panadapers and waterfalls.

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

I have Spectrum 350Mb/s x 30Mb/s in the USA for $89/month and Orange 200Mb/s x 200Mb/s in France for €19 (USD$24)... (ISP get away with over-changing us in the USA)

I run remote much of the time.   Except for Contests I never use the Maestro as I find knobs slow me down too much when chasing DX or working digital.

I agree with Ria.. For Remote Operations - Upload Speed from your base of operations is critical.  So if you can get faster upload go for it.

However... You may also find that Latency is also much lower if you have a higher Internet speed.  This can make a huge difference in Digital Modes and CW.  So again something positive to consider if you get faster Internet