Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High CPU/Memory Utilization with new 6700

Harry W0LS
Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
I am setting up a new 6700 with a new computer just purchased. Computer CPU is an i7-6700, plenty fast. After bringing up SmartSDR I noticed that the CPU utilization continually climbs. It starts out at 1-2% with memory usage at 60-70mb. The CPU/memory utilization continues to grow until the machine finally locks up. CPU use for SmartSDR gets up to the 90% range with memory usage up at 200mb. This is with just one slice running. It takes about 15-20 minutes to reach this condition. Anybody have an idea as to whats going  on. I am using the 1.9.13 release.

Thanks,
Harry
W0LS

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sounds like a "memory leak" in an audio or (more likely) video driver in your computer. A memory leak is when a piece of software requests memory from the operating system for a task but does not release it when the task is done. Make sure you are using the latest version of all the software drivers for your hardware. I haven't had a problem with SmartSDR 1.9.13 even when left running for days. Good Luck, Bob
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I, also have noticed that the memory utilization is much higher on the 80 meter band than it is on the 40 meter band. Thought it was my computer, so changed...same thing.

Jim, K6QE

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Harry
    What are you using to determine the CPU, and Memory in use figures?

The Task Manager Performance Tab values and meters only provide totals, they don't let you zero in on the actual problem.

On the status bar, of the Task Managers Performance tab, there is an option to open the Resource Monitor. Click that and you'll be able to determine which process is using the greatest amount of both CPU and Memory. It may very well be SmartSDR, DAX, and SmartCAT, that are causing the issue. It may be some other process. 

By checking off the checkboxes beside the processes you can sort them to the top of the list where you can watch for Memory/CPU usage changes over time, while SmartSDR is running.

It might also point to some other process as being the culprit.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have installed lots of other apps on this computer, Win 10, and have not experienced any problems. I have PowerSDR installed driving a Flex5000 and it works fine. If there were an audio/video driver problem wouldn't it have affected other processes as well?
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have been using the resource monitor so I can see individual process resource utilization. Thats how I zeroed in on SmartSDR.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2018
    As the waterfall history data accumulates, memory usage will increase as the history is stored in RAM for fast recall. If CPU utilization is climbing, update the video driver, as the display rendering is the most resource intensive process in SmartSDR.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Harry

Ok then, you're already doing that. I haven't seen any problems related to v1.9.13 resource usage, it's been pretty stable for me, but others have reported problems with it. 

Be sure and submit a Help Desk trouble ticket.

Do the same problems occur with the latest Beta?

You also mentioned this was a new PC, do you still have the old PC available for comparisons?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tim...well I downloaded the latest video driver and started SmarSDR again and monitored. CPU utilization held at between 2 - 3% for a half hour. I thought all was well. But then all of a sudden it jumped up to 31% and stayed at that leve for maybe 15 minutes. Then it jumped to 93% and I shut SmartSDR down. So it stayed very low for quite awhile but then made abrupt jumps to the higher levels. Don't know what to do next....
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    I think it is time to Open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can investigate.  We'll need to know the make and model of your PC.
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I will open a helpdesk ticket tomorrow. I bought the PC from Neal and it appears to work with everything else just fine. I am running PowerSDR, DDutil, Log4OM and a number of other apps and they all seem happy. Total CPU about 14% and it stays in that area.

Thanks....
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This problem appears to be solved now. It was related to the Flex Control. I had noticed that the FC was enabled when I started the radio so I disabled it. After I did that the CPU utilization stayed low as it should. So I unistalled/reinstalled the FC but that did not help. I noticed that the FC was plugged into a USB hub. So just to do something different I removed it from the hub and plugged it directly into the PC and that did the trick. It still took some unintstalls/installs, reboots but finally it started working as it should smartsdr process ran as it should. During this troubleshooting period I had plenty of help from Neal who built the computer and from Flex through Dudley...thanks to those guys and the people that responded here on the community.....
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay, in Task Manager going into processes will actually show you a breakdown of everything using memory very nicely. From there if people choose they can also use the Resource Monitor located in the Performance tab of Task manager for a better display of memory usage.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017

Jay,

I'm unable to get to http://www.sdrgadgets.com/

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'll take a look at the logs for SDRgadgets. It's accessible for me right now. I'll recheck the setup.  
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Eric

Possibly only me! Looking into fixing it. Expect Success! Soon, hopefully! image image image

Thanks for the heads up warning! image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Eric

Can you recheck it when you have the time? I think I fixed a path configuration variable error, that came along "free" with the last PHP5 upgrade? It should be working again now.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017

Jay,

I tried from a computer at work, from my home computer and from a computer in Palm Springs, CA all within a few minutes of each other. No joy from any of them, connection timed out.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Erik

Then one of us has a problem, I'm watching SDRgadgets serving webpages in realtime. It's working for many folks. I'm connected to it from inside my LAN, I can't really test it myself, as the only way I have of hitting it is by using it's LAN IP. I don't currently have any access to a webrowser outside of my LAN.  I need more feedback, I can't see any problems with it now.

The Flexradio Community isn't the best place to be troubleshooting 3rd party connectivity problems though. My email is good on QRZ, and I'm also logged into both, ...

https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=Flexradio

and

https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=SDRgadgets

Please direct replies via direct email or in one of the IRC channels. 

I don't want to wear out my welcome here.

Thanks 73!  

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.