Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hi I just received my Maestro today and when I installed the batter there is no usb plug for chargin

Options
13»

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Low Battery Indication:

HOWEVER.. you sometimes get this indication when you hot swap to a battery as the Maestro reacts to a change in condition.  So it is usually best to confirm the battery charge level with the charge indicator found on most of these batteries.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

Being the total lack of consistency among reasonably priced batteries of the same make and model, I seriously doubt that there is an inexpensive way to add back the charging cable without causing other battery issues the battery inconsistencies caused during Alpha Testing.

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Highly unlikely it will be added back ever. There are product liability reasons as well. We cannot control the design of the third party products.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank you Gerald for taking the time to explain the reasons for the change. I suspect almost all Maestro owners would support your decision. I certainly do. 73 de Winston VK7WH
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Gerald,

I'm scratching my head over your comment about not being able to "control the design of the third party products". What makes the difference between a standard LED you purchase and the battery?

I suspect you get what you get with the battery with no controlling requirements/specification and the LED has a datasheet that gives you a warm feeling.

You might try putting out a "requirements" document to the industry and cost target.to control the third party. It might make it unaffordable or get the manufactures to bear some of the cost burden. Probably too late for that.

Also, believe me, you all have designed, tested and manufactured a great controller. That is the most amazing aspect of the Maestro. Although not bleeding edge, you have made it affordable within the budgets of hams and that's what I stand in awe of.

Jim

ka7gzr

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jim

Since the battery is enclosed in the maestro, any severe heating problems due to a batch of batteries that charge way too hot, could ultimately damage the Maestro or worse (just as an example). Its possible an LED could also overheat but the likelihood that it could do so at an extreme to damage your Maestro is pretty small.

The implications are just much different with the battery than the LED.
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A component with a datasheet is a far different thing than a battery system that comes in a million flavors of varying quality control. The whole point of the USB supply was to save cost and very unlikely that a company would custom tailor a product when the majority of the market doesn't care. A purpose built pack is another option but in smaller quantities you are talking 75 bucks or so for quality components.
  • Randy Pence
    Randy Pence Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "no usb plug for charging"

Very disappointing
    n4jzy
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gerald explained pretty clearly why it had to be done.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since the question in this topic has been answered by the most authoritative source in FlexRadio, I am inclined to close it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.