Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hi Everyone, I'm a new owner of a CPO 6500 and a Maestro A.

Gene Duprey
Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
Hi I'm a new owner of a CPO 6500 and Maestro A.  Coming up on 1 week, I ran remote over the weekend and on the last day I found the Maestro did not see the radio. Got home and found 6500 was locked up, and had to remove power to restart the 6500. I cannot seem to find anything in the SDR document on a setting up a remote Power On circuit. Any body set this up? Thanks, Gene K1GD

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Gene

Yes, power bumps can cause issues.

Did you review page 25 of the Flex 6400/6600 Hardware Reference Manual?  Section 7.10

7.10 REMOTE POWER ON INPUT

This RCA connector is provided for remote power-on functionality. When the Remote Power ON feature is enabled, shorting this input to ground will activate the radio - opening this connector will disable power on the radio. 

One thing about remote operating that I have learned is that if there is something that can cause a remote operating issue, it will happen.  :)

Mike

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Mike,

Yes I did, but it refers you to the SDR manual, and I could find no reference to it there.

Gene
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Gene

It is pretty simple.

You do need to use some external web switch to short the RCA to ground and that will turn on the radio. Personally, I use a Raspberry PI and free software from RemoteQTH Server.   https://remoteqth.com/remoteqth-server.php.  However, there are many ways to do this and others will likely make suggestions.   This is a somewhat plug and play remote solution https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/a-cost-effective-web-relay-control.

To enable the Remote RCA connector, look at the SmartSDR manual, section 33.3 on page 154.  

In the Radio Setup under "Radio" there is a software switch called Remote On:  Enable or Disable.  Details are described on page 154.

Closing the rear panel RCA connector (ground the center pin) will power up the radio. Opening the RCA contact will power down the radio.

Mike

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Mike, Appreciate the help.

Gene
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

An easier work around of remoting the radio on/off is to short the remote pins and remotely turn the A/C to the power supply on/off. You will find there are quite a few of WAN remoteable A/C devices around at a very reasonable price.

Jim, K6QE
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is exactly what I do.  I have the RCA jack permanently shorted with a plug and use a DLI Web Power Switch to remotely power the radio off/on.  In fact, since the DLI unit is programmable, I have it set to power the radio on every morning and off at night.  Some folks and Flex have advised against this type of power on/off procedure in the past, but I have been doing this daily for over 3 years and the radio has never suffered any ill effects.  The power off sequence is always done after SSDR has been closed on the PC and the radio is not active in any way.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Jim & Greg, ki will have to try that.

Gene, K1GD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.