Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hex Beam Antenna

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just completed the installation of my hex beam antenna. I hooked it up to the 6500 and voila, great results. Thanks to the Flex team for a great radio, unbelievable performance.

Comments

• Steve Conklin
    Steve Conklin Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I love the combination of my hexbeam and the Flex 6K. I always monitor multiple bands to catch openings, and I can just click over and transmit on any of them.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Agreed Flex and a hex beam are a great combination.
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited October 2013
    Yes the Hex and Flex are great, I band hop left right and center depending on propagation and what's on the spots.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Out of curiosity, there are a number of variants (5 or 6 that I have seen so far) of the hexbeam. What seems to be the choice of users? I was also curious as to how one would compare a hex beam with a SteppIR 2 or 3 element beam.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I was literally typing a similar question when I saw Don's post come up. For starters, products include the Traffie Technologies HEX-BEAM-BH5i, DX Engineering HEXX-5TAP-2, and a KIO Technology BBHEX5BB (which has a 6-meter option). Their websites are www.hexbeam.com, www.dxengineering.com and www.k4kio.com. A product then called a Traffie Hex Beam II was reviewed in the March 1998 issue of QST as one of several portable antennas which were compared in a single review. According to the Traffie Technologies website some of their models, including the 40-meter hex beams, have been discontinued. So the question is, which manufacturer and model of hexagonal antennas are in use that work so well with a Flex-6000? The hex beams don't have a lot of gain and F/B is modest compared to small beams. Is it low noise that makes them so desirable? I am seriously considering a hex beam as an additional receive antenna so specific feedback will be appreciated. Thanks. Reg, KD5RB
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    There are 3 unmatched sources for everything hex-beam. First is the Yahoo group 'hex-beam'. This is a great group of helpful hams. The group has picture files of hex installation (including mine). Do a search of message threads and you find many helpful discussions. Second is a web site. G3TXQ has created the definitive web site with all kinds of technical data on hex beams. Wander through his site to understand the hex beam. Finally, K4KIO, one the most respected suppliers of hex beams, has a great site with all kinds of helpful info.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I built the G3TXQ variant of the beam. I am very satisfied with the performance. For example, on Sunday afternoon I made contact with a ham in Weisbaden Germany. I asked him for a signal report, he gave me a 30 over 9 at 450 watts. My other antenna is a G5RV which is excellent on 40 meters. I cannot comment on the SteppIR as I cannot afford one and have never had the opportunity to use a radio that was attached to a SteppIR.
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited June 2014
    I too have investigated the Hex Beam variants vs. other beams and Quads; it has some desirable features to be sure. I would strongly urge those interested in comparisons to either do some modeling at heights representing your situation, or find someone to do it for you. Model all of the basic possibilities with the same real ground and height. Compare Hex Beam, dipole, Yagi and Quad. Look at the elevation takeoff angle under *your* situation for the various options. Compare the F/B and beamwidths. Modeling gets you away from the subjective performance anecdotes and gives solid relative comparative data. Many good sources are available ( including the ARRL Antenna handbook) to help you make sure the models are delivering trustworthy results. It's really valuable and enjoyable. 73, Brad - N6SPM
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My hex beam has been up and running for 5 days. I've made 54 contacts, mostly DX and never tuned it once. Great design. The highest SWR that I have been subjected to is 1:1.2.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bob: That sounds like a great start with your new hex beam. Which manufacturer and model of hex beam did you install? Is there a measurable difference in the noise floor of the hex beam when compared to your other antennas? Thanks, Reg, KD5RB
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Reg, I built the G3TXQ version. The noise level is about the same as my G5RV but more sensitive and of course it's directional.
  • 5Z4EE
    5Z4EE Member
    edited October 2013
    I have been using the Traffie HX5-Bi Hex-Beam for eight years now in South Africa and now in Kenya. I have been using it with the Flex 5000. I now have the Flex 6500 also. The Traffie antennna works great and is very robust. See my review on eHam.net. 73 Sig 5Z4EE
  • Steve Conklin
    Steve Conklin Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Mine is a hybrid, built with parts from several vendors. It's a 6-band. I used the DX Engineering cast hub, wire and fiberglass kits from max-gain, and Leo Shoemaker's center post. Every antenna is a compromise, unless you have unlimited funds. In my case, I live on a heavily sloped wooded lot with house placement that pretty much excluded a tower. Building codes here allow one antenna "attached to the house", as long as the overall height does not exceed 10 feet above the roof peak. I was able to put the hexbeam atop a 4.5 foot rooftop minitower on our 2 story house, keep it under the height limit, and have it be about 40' AGL on the downhill side, about 25' on the high side. It fits entirely within the outline of my roof. And, it was a whole lot cheaper than putting up a tower.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The NA4RR Broadband Hexagonal Beam Antenna. Here is another good hexbeam to consider. I met Roger at the Orlando HamCation in 2013. His booth was next to mine and I got a chance to see his product up close. It is very well made and his price is very good. If you are looking for a hexbeam check it out. Roger is also a FLEX 6000 user and in the community here. http://www.hexagonalbeam.com/index.htm Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.