Here we go again...

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
This happened awhile back, then for no apparent reason the problem disappeared.  Now it's back.  For months SSDR works fine, then today I fire things up.  Screen pops up normally and I have tuning and audio, just no spectrum or waterfall display.  A bit of troubleshooting and I find that if I turn my anti-virus s/w off, the display and waterfall reappear and SSDR runs normally, although running without A/V SW bugs me, so I decide to write an exception in the A/V SW for the Flex software.  This normally works with other programs, but not this time.  Anyone have this issue with SSDR and Vipre Anti-Virus SW?
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 777 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
This is almost certainly the internal VIPRE firewall causing this, there is a document on their website that describes how to diagnose and fix this problem: https://support.vipreantivirus.com/support/solutions/articles/1000122894-firewall-blocks-or-prevents...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
Waterfall data is transmitted on a different IP protocol (UDP) than the radio control data (TCP).  I agree 100% with Kevin and Phil that a change to your PC's firewall or Internet security suite is the reason for this behavior.
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 93 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I have the same problem using Vipre, and the solution is as stated above.  Add a rule to the Vipre firewall allowing the program to ALWAYS access the firewall.  

NOTE: every time you update, you'll have to add a new exception as the firewall recognizes each individual version of CAT/DAX/SSDR as separate and unique programs (which they are).