Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hercules MIDI with 6300

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Here is the CMD with labels added

Oh did I say it works GREAT!

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    David,

The midi does not change focus at all.  It is totally independent of mouse.  You can tune 2 slices and type in logs at the same time if you have enough hands :)

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ok I had a chance to work about 50 DX in the contest.  I have to say I love this CMD Micro! Its working great.
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Hi William,

I just ordered one myself.  Thanks for getting us started, look forward to the code post after you take a hiatus and catch up on some sleep....

What do you use for labeling?

Duane

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is the first version of the code for the CMD Micro.  All buttons and Knobs work as labled in the APP window.  Its not the cleanest code, but it works :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hmwjx3j7irpi8z/CMDMicroFlex6k.zip?dl=0

William
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks! I have a Ptouch labeler
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Notes on the CMD Micro.

Start SmartSDR with a single slice only before starting the midi app.  Add an additional slice with the midi controller.  Cycle all the controls to sync them with SmartSDR.  At this point you can manipulate SmartSDR via the midi device or the mouse, however changing volume/rf gain/balance/AGCT with the mouse will cause the midi controls to be out of sync.  A simple cycle of the mid controls will resync them.

On the Micro the center A & B buttons provide three functions.

1.  They switch active slice.  This also switches active slice shown in the radio pane.
    2.  They switch TX between slice A/B
    3.  Select slice for buttons (ANT select, Filter select, Mode Select, DSP)

The micro has leds in all buttons, however only 6 can be changed via midi.

Vox - Turns blue when on
    a<>b - blue when swapped
    Step - blue 100hz
    +RX - Blue when new slice added
    PTT- Green when pressed

Filters are selected by mode.  Only popular standard widths can be cycled.  for custom widths, please use the mouse.

Three cwx memories are added for convenience, but all other CW functions such as delay/wpm/etc must be controlled in SmartSDR.

The Micro has limited buttons and controls, but I added what I feel are the most common.   Working splits is easy without ever touching the mouse.

If you are a casual OP that would like some knobs and a few buttons, the Micro is very nice.  And at $69 it is very attractive.  It's buttons are easily labeled, which is  BIG plus.

My Hercules may end up on ebay, so I can get another Behringer.  They just look and feel more radio like. 

William
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just looked at your code for the new controller.  Some nice work, there.
    I especially liked the way you used the + slice + to set the active slice and determine which slice your various commands will go to, like NR, NB, RX ant, etc... Slick.
    I think I will use it...(with your permission!)
    You made some good use of the boolean switches on several functions.

I didn't realize that setting the filters was so easy.  You did good work in selecting appropriate RX filter ranges for each mode.  
    When I upgrade mine, I will make use of that too, but I may just use a single button and cycle through them, like I did the three different RX antennas in my version.

Next I need to figure ut how to change bands from the controller. That will be nice.
    Well, it's off to Wiresharking again!

Again...nice work.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just don't click any mode other than "Data Monitor," if you do, it locks up and needs to be uninstalled and re-installed.  At least on my computer running Win Tech Preview 10 it did!

I think it wants to be registered before it will use any other functions, and the lock out function is buggy.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken,

Thanks for the comments!  I have been using the CMD Micro exclusively during the contest, and it's doing a great job.

How is your controller working for you.  As I'm sure you are participating in the contest.

I'm not competing in this contest, but I am participating.  I have just 150 contacts as I had to work last night and today.  But it has been a good test of the midi controller.  I have to say, knobs and SDR is a killer combo.  I'm having a blast playing with this.

William

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately, I am not able to do much in this contest.  I just got back about 5 pm from a Cub scount activity with my 7 year-old son.  We left yesterday and stayed overnight for their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) program - six 40 minute classes that helped them earn "beltloops" and patches for their progress in Cub Scouts.

I haven't gotten any new programming done, either, but I have been pondering some new Ideas.  Only a little time to play before I must get back to work...

After Easter, I will have more time for major updates...

Ken - NM9P

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    GM William,

yesterday I went to our "Rock Shop" and bought a CMD micro, because my
    FlexControl knob just does not do enough and I like your setup and program
    for the CMD. I have some questions/suggestions concerning your setup:

1. Starting your program, mode seems to default to USB, is it possible to
        leave mode at the last setting?
    2. Step size varies perfectly between 10 and 100Hz, but is not shown
        on the SSDR screen. 
    3. If AGC-T is st to "off" for digital modes, your CMD sliders are not
        working. The sliders work for all other settings, like "fast, med,slow"
    4. It would be great, if pressing "ATU" would start the tune button in SmartSDR,
        maybe as an alternative setting, for all those of us, who use an external
        Tuner.
    5. Starting the program you have to input the SmartSDR IP address. Is it
        possible to get this address automatically?

I'm no programmer,alas, so I don't know how to change these
    settings, but if you could find the time, you could maybe point
    me in the right direction :-)

73 and thank you for the program,

Alex DH2ID

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Alex,

Thanks for testing the software!  I appreciate the feedback, as I can't test everything.  Everyone operates differently.  See my responses below

1. Starting your program, mode seems to default to USB, is it possible to
        leave mode at the last setting? This is now fixed
    2. Step size varies perfectly between 10 and 100Hz, but is not shown
        on the SSDR screen.   This is now fixed
    3. If AGC-T is st to "off" for digital modes, your CMD sliders are not
        working. The sliders work for all other settings, like "fast, med,slow" This is now fixed
    4. It would be great, if pressing "ATU" would start the tune button in SmartSDR,
        maybe as an alternative setting, for all those of us, who use an external
        Tuner.  I created a new version for Ex Tuner

I am compiling them and will post a link in a few.

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Oh I forgot to answer this question:

5. Starting the program you have to input the SmartSDR IP address. Is it
        possible to get this address automatically?

Yes this is possible, but it requires a substantial amount of programming, which I don't really want to tackle.  FlexLib allows this easily, but I am not using Flexlib.  My program just uses the TCPIP API.  If you use a fixed IP (static reservation in your router)  It is simple to just modify the program to connect without asking.  So at this time, I do not foresee me attempting this.

What I may do is create a file that you can edit and just enter your IP, so you only have to do it once (or whenever you change it).  Let me think about this.  But I do not plan on adding IP discovery.  Its just too much work :)

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I made a modification to the CMD Micro application.  Now there is a text file located in the application.windows64data directory called ip.txtMake sure you edit the correct one :).  Just edit this file with notepad and add your IP address,. Now when you load the application, the IP will already be filled out.  You can of course change it if you wish, but you can now just hit enter.  This should make life easier.

The two versions are uploading as we speak (standard and external tuner)

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Here are the updated downloads:

Fixed issues

AGCT now works in OFF
    Mode does not default to USB
    Step now displayed in SmartSDR
    New Version for external tuner
    Set default IP via text file

Standard -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hmwjx3j7irpi8z/CMDMicroFlex6k.zip?dl=0

Ex Tuner - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk4cgrfotizi6ko/CMDMicroFlex6k_ExTune.zip?dl=0

William
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, thats absolutely smashing great! Thanks a lot!
    Everything works fine.
    I like the CMD micro because it integrates so well with my notebook
    and because my shack is quite small.
    73 from rainy Karlsruhe, Germany...
    Alex DH2ID
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    William,

While trying out your CMDMicroFlex6K, I found out hat when in LSB, changing the filter size with either the + or - button, flips the filter to the USB side of the carrier!

To return the Flex6K audio filter back to the normal LSB operation, I reloaded an 40 Meter SSB profile I had previously saved.  Have not tested any other method to restore LSB so far.

Enjoying the CMD Micro!

Thanks,

Javier
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Guys, what size of the buttons in mm on Micro? I wanna to prepare labels in advance while waiting for my one.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    GE Sergey, small buttons are 15x8 mm and the big ones 15x15mm.

I did'nt put labels on the buttons, though,  but beneath them.

That doesn't look very pretty, but this way the labels don't peel off
    easily. 

73, Alex DH2ID

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Got it Alex, thank you, my controller will joint me at Wednesday and I wanna be prepared :-)
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Sergey,

The rectangular ones, like +, -, 1, 2, etc, are 14.5 wide by 5.5 mm high.  

The square ones, like CUE, SYNC, etc, are 12.75 x 12.75 mm.

With those dimensions, you will cover just the black portion of the buttons.

Javier
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, I concur with Javier, who wrote:

...While trying out your CMDMicroFlex6K, I found out hat when in LSB, changing the filter size with either the + or - button, flips the filter to the USB side of the carrier...

I find exactly the same behaviour here.

73, Alex, DH2ID
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Javier and all,

I solved the filter issue.  The issue is the APP does not poll the radio for mode.  If you switch filters before actually cycling the mode dial, the app assumes your still in USB.

I have modified the program to actually read the mode from the radio, so this issue should be a problem now.  I will test some more then recompile the APP.  Should have a new download shortly.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    new files uploading now.  I'll post links in ~15 min.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Here are the new files with fixed filters.  Test them out and let me know!  I still need to clean these up.  But will do that after I get the testing results.

Standard -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hmwjx3j7irpi8z/CMDMicroFlex6k.zip?dl=0

Ex Tuner - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk4cgrfotizi6ko/CMDMicroFlex6k_ExTune.zip?dl=0

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    William, thank you for the new files.
    There is still some funny behaviour, but I think I have found what happens here:

1. Setting LSB, say on 40m, with SmartSDR, then pressing the filter button on
        the CMD -> still sets USB.
    2. Setting LSB with the CMD mode knob, then pressing filter button, leaves
        mode in LSB.
    3. Setting CW with SmartSDR, then pressing filter buttonon CMD -> sets
        CW-USB filter in SmartSDR.

I'll post some screen shots:

1. LSB set in SmartSDR:

2. LSB: Pressing filter on CMD:

3. LSB: Change mode from CMD:

=============================================================================
    4. CW on 40m, set in SmartSDR:

5. Changed to LSB in SmartSDR, pressed filter on CMD, changes to USB:

So it all comes down to this: 

If you change mode from CMD, then filters, all seems to be ok.
    Must be an interaction between SmartSDR settings and CMD
    settings!?

73, Alex DH2ID
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Alex, its just the Ex Tuner version.  I forgot a single line :(  This behavior is exactly what I fixed.  The other version works fine.

I fixed this Ex Tuner version and reuploading it now.  Sorry!

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    if your not using the ex tuner version, let me know and I will reupload that version too.  I tested both and they are working for me now

Edit I checked the download, the standard download is correct.  The Ex Tuner version was not the newest.  Its uploading now

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.