Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hercules MIDI with 6300

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ok after reinstalling.  Start SmartSDR then start FlexMidi.  Tune around in SmartSDR with the mouse.  Verify the frequency is changing correctly in the FlexMidi App window.  If the frequencies are not updating correctly let me know.  If they do update correctly, you should be able to use the controller.

Keep me posted.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    One other note, every time before using the Hercules, it is a good idea to verify they are synced by starting both VFO's and tuning them around with the mouse.  Then verify the FlexMidi App is properly synced.  Once they are synced everything should work properly.  You only need to do this if you close the FlexMidi App.  Closing SmartSDR makes no difference.

William
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William,

I have found that occasionally, upon initial start-up of the program, that "VFO-B" does not get read by the software and turning the tuning knob makes it start tuning with whatever frequency happens to be in the cue...usually 0.000 Mhz.  It then sends the Slice to that frequency.  (I have occasionally found this on Slice-A after the slice has been closed and opened on a different band.

But if some other action happens on the controller, or on the rig with a mouse, that the program reads the Slice-B frequency and things work fine.  Often I will simply hit the button to change TX to B then back to A and things work fine.  I am not sure what a software solution to this might be.  Perhaps it is doing the initial frequency read before the program is fully connected to the rig and is missing it?

I have a similar delay the first time I turn RIT or XIT ON.  It misses the first button press, then everything works fine after that.  Occasionally this is true on the mode switching as well.  Ahh, the mysteries of software development.

I remember many years ago when programming that it was sometimes necessary to "toss a null" at a serial port to "clear the lines" or initialize it before using it.  I don't know if any of that is valid any more.

Ken - NM9P
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No changes. Same as b4.
    If i start FlexMidi he takes the QRG from SmartSDR correct. If i turn VFO button SmartSdr jump to 3.000.000 but FlexMidi using the old freq and counts up or down only at FlexMidi display. Flex it self is fixed. 
    Balance A-B also work wrong. At right side VFO A is at highest level; at left side quiet (if i only using 1 VFO)
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VFO speed is also wrong. Full CCW is fast, full CW is slow.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Can I ask which version of FlexMidi you are running 32bit or 64bit?  Also what version of SmartSDR. 
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Chris, just found an error in the code in the latest version.  This may have been what caused your issues.  Give me a few to test it and I'll post an update.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The balance works correct for me, middle both speakers on, slide it right only the right speaker, slide it left only the right.  The balance for VFOB is backwards on purpose.  This is done so you can listen to each vfo out a separate speaker

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    "VFO speed is also wrong. Full CCW is fast, full CW is slow."  This is the way its supposed to work.  Maybe I should of called it "Delay".  Its meant to slow down the VFO's for fine tuning. You can change it is you like.   The source is included.

As for the code I'm uploading a fix for the error I found.  This only affected VFOB.  Please give it a try and let me know.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Uninstall the previous version and just install this one manually.  Just unzip the files and run the app under the application.windows32 or
    application.windows64.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re9tlop8r7y7wje/FlexMidiTCP.zip?dl=0

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, here W7 64
    Will download try now lastest version, QRX
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    NO changes,

SS=SmartSDR   FM=FlexMidi

start ss, vfo shows 3.505.00
    start fm, fm vfo 3.505.000
    change freq at ss to 3.515.000
    fm shows also the new freq 3.515.000

now i using vfo button from fm
    ss jump to 3.000.000
    fm shows 3.515.000

i dial ff vfo down to 3.000.000
    ss shows always 3.000.000

i dial ff under 3.000.000
    ss jump to 2.000.000

Install  manually, first at disk D: and then also at C:  - no difference
    also no difference between W32 and W64
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Chris, I tried the exact step you did, but everything worked as expected for me.  What version of smartSDR are you running??

Are you running a English or German language for windows?

Something is causing the app to not send the correct frequency to smartSDR.  This is whats causing the VFO to jump. 

FlexMidi is receiving the correct frequency from smartSDR, as it is displaying it correctly in the APP.  When you turn the VFO dial it should increment the frequency and send it back to the radio.  This is where it breaks.  It obviously is sending garbage, because your frequency jumps by 1mhz not 10hz like it is supposed to.

Something in your system is breaking the math, But I need to figure out what is different in your setup that may be causing this.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    run SS1.4

but it's a good point ( it was also still idea here b4 ) i using the german version of win and between USA an DL there is a difference in using DOT and COMMA
    It a nice place for doing "errors"  - i remember the old CT contest software day's
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Chris in FlexMidi.  Does the Frequency show a dot or a comma?  I think we are getting somewhere.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FM  3,515000    COMMA
    SS    3.515.000    DOT (2 times)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ah Ha, FM should be displaying a dot.  So I need to rethink how to account for this.  Give me some time to think about this.  I'm sure this is whats causing the issue. 

Let me try a few things and get back to you.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have a file uploading for you to try.  Lets cross fingers!

I'll post the link shortly

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Chris,  Extract and run this version.  I suspect your computer is using commas instead of periods in the calculations.  Then its sending the number with the comma back to the 6000.  The 6000 does not know what to do with this.  In this version I convert the frequency to text, than replace the comma back to a period before sending to the 6000.  Let me know!

If this version does not fix it, I have another idea also.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77j3vvsh5h7dgt5/application.windows64.zip?dl=0
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Now it works!
    Will test all other buttons/function.
    Will give you feedback

73 Chris
    DL5NAM
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Woo Hoo!!!  Let me know what else you find.  Glad I could help!

I will incorporate this modification in all future releases. 

William
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited March 2015
    Got the Midi controller today from Amazon... Very cool I must say. William you are a good man! I will continue to play, thanks
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Glad its working foe you!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I made a few updates.  First I incorporated a fix for countries that use a commas instead of decimal.  Also added a few more LED functions for PTT & STEP.  Renamed VFO speed to "VFO delay" and reduced sensitivity.  Updated the main graphic to represent current layout.

Regards,

William
    W4WHL

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I made one more update.  Added VFO swap.  Now you can swap A<>B which is useful for syncing logging software.

• Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    William,

Just got my Hercules DJ from B&H (www.BandH.com) for $119, installed the basic drivers and your latest version of your program.  Up and running with my Flex 6300 in about 5 Minutes!

Thanks for your great program!.  Now, to really work through your code and learn something new. Perhaps use a Raspberry PI to provide the network interface...

73 Javier

KC2QII
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Good deal!  That's why I wrote it.  I never intended to write a program for distribution.  It just took off.  Glad its working for you!

William
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    William,

I also loaded into my laptop as well, and it is running through my wireless without any problems.

Great Job!

Javier
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey, guys, I am doing some cleaning up and semi-final additions on my version for the DJControl MP3 LE. I have figured out how to: use a single button to toggle functions, Access the lights on the keys. Simplify some of the tuning and RIT/XIT codes, And other functions. I am a couple of days late, but I hope to post a link to my version tonight. If I get stalled, I won't be able to do anything for a while.... I have a wedding on Thursday, and next week is Holy Week, my busiest week of the year! So far, things are going well, if I don't program in my sleep... Then things get messed up quickly! Ken - NM9P
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    looking forward to seeing your version, Maybe some of your ideas are better than mine, so I can steal them ( I mean borrow).  Ken you may want to look at my latest and see how I solved the comma issue in case someone Germany wants to try your code.

WIlliam

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.