Hercules MIDI with 6300

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
All,

I wrote a program in "processing" that allows me to control my 6300 over CAT with the Hercules DJ Instinct.

Currently working;
VFOA Freq w/variable speed
VFOB Freq w/variable speed
XIT offset
RIT offset
PTT

Planned;
ACGT
Main Volume
vfoA volume
vfoB volume
Step size
mode
bandwidth
etc.

I am somewhat limited with CAT.  DDUTIL adds in additional CAT commands (DD6) that will do most of what else I want.  However I cant seem to get the DDUTIL commands to work.  So if anyone has experience using DDUTIL commands.  Please help me out!

Anyway here is a short video, sorry about the shaking! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oidCZVeAKbo&list=UUXPBbnOEFQ_MN6UM...

W4WHL
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok my second attempt.  I like this this layout better.

William
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Very nice layout. I like it.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 327 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
It seems like a good choice as the Hercules is hard to mount vertically like a radio front panel.  This looks like it would be good for that and for a laptop.

Any thought for adding band buttons up and down?

Thanks for the software....

Bob, W7KWS

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
On a side note.  I'm not sure if something changed in radio firmware, but I can now manipulate pan-adapter bandwidth via external program.  Who would like panadapter zoom +/- option that can be swapped with the NR/NB buttons.

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 980 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Pressing a button long/short wouldn't be an option, I guess.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Not really, it could be done, but it would be hard
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
William, I wonder about using a slider to do the zoom?  You could program a couple of reasonable limits of pan width and correlate them to the control value.  Or is the access you have one that is a simple +/- like the buttons on the SSDR interface?

BTW:  I have thought about using a timing loop to create a short/long press control button on my Hercules, but haven't had time to get to it. Almost anything is possible, if you want to spend the time to program it!
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 980 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Ken, your idea is much better than mine! An option to use the balance (or any other) slider should be possible.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

I considered this, but you need to start from current bandwidth.  Using a slider would cause the screen to jump.  It's best to query the radio for current bandwidth and just add or subtract to that value.

My current test code I just uploaded works real good, and I think y'all will like it.

What would be best to use is a encoder dial.  But there is only one available on the micro.  And I think swapping out the mode button is not a good idea.  Most people will set NB/NR and leave it.  But they may change mode and bandwidth often.

If I had one more button I would do a shift function.  Maybe in a future release I will remove CWX3 and make it a shift button.  With shift pressed CWX 1-2 becomes 3-4, and NB/NB becomes bandwidth.  This is a bigger change and may add it at some point.

William