Hercules MIDI with 6300

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
All,

I wrote a program in "processing" that allows me to control my 6300 over CAT with the Hercules DJ Instinct.

Currently working;
VFOA Freq w/variable speed
VFOB Freq w/variable speed
XIT offset
RIT offset
PTT

Planned;
ACGT
Main Volume
vfoA volume
vfoB volume
Step size
mode
bandwidth
etc.

I am somewhat limited with CAT.  DDUTIL adds in additional CAT commands (DD6) that will do most of what else I want.  However I cant seem to get the DDUTIL commands to work.  So if anyone has experience using DDUTIL commands.  Please help me out!

Anyway here is a short video, sorry about the shaking! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oidCZVeAKbo&list=UUXPBbnOEFQ_MN6UM...

W4WHL
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is v1.5 for the CMD Micro.  Few small changes
  1. displays Flex model in app window
  2. displays Mode in app window.
  3. Updated parsing of received data from radio (UDP and TCP )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unv30jzn96j42dy/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_5.zip?dl=0

William
(Edited)
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
William,

Curious, was the garbled screen caused by any changes to SSDR? Just wondering about change stability as Flex issues revisions.

Duane

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
No it was an issue in my code that changes in the Flex code revealed.  The Flex sends a bit more information than the previous version.  This extra data was messing up my parse routine.  But it was a flaw in my code.

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes

William, my one is arrived :-), just small comments:

1. apps not supporting High Screen resolution, I am using iMac 5K with Parallels for Win

sorry too small for my eyes :-)

2. Strange behavior with Balance A-B: moving slider from the left end to the right end change positions of the slice in the headphones? as it planned?

3. No reaction in SSDR Volume A or Volume B sliders in case moving Vol A or Vol B sliders on CMD?

4. Selectable steps are 10Hz or 100Hz only 

this is report with ver 1_3

i guess my report helpful

(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Sergey,

The app size unfortunately set in stone.  Placement of objects is pixel for pixel x by y.  Making this scaleable would be more complicated than the entire program itself.  Once its loaded it is really useless anyway.

Also please download newest version.  V1_3 has the small prompts.  This is done away with on newer versions.  One less small thing you need to read.

The balance is working as designed.  I did it this way so when running 2 slices I can switch which ear which slice is in. 

The volume A/B sliders not updating is a bug in smartSDR which has been acknowledged by Flex.

Steps are designed with only 10 & 100.  I can add more if people want.  I just found that these were all I needed.  100 to go fast to the area and 10 to fine tune.  I found having to cycle through more than 2 step sizes slowed me down exponentially.  But a single button push from fast to slow was the most useful.

I'm open for suggestions for changes, and will change things if most users agree.  So make your suggestions and lets get feedback from others. 

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Got it William, generally size is not a issue, Apps alway in tray, however step really reasonable, may be set up an options 10Hz+100Hz or 1Hz-10Hz like with knob  RF Power - Volume Head Phones

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Sure that is a good suggestion, I can do that.  If you do really fine tuning and would like a 1hz-10hz option, I can add that to the var.txt file.

Maybe a second option would be to get rid of the CWX3 button and make it so you could toggle between steps of (10hz / 100hz) or (1hz /10 hz).

Opinions?

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
You know CW1-CW3 are serious
CW1- callsign
CW2 - 599 BK
CW3 - TU or ?
better to make selectable in the var.txt

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
ok I will do this for you later today or tonight

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is a new version that incorporates Sergeys's suggestion to swap RF dial to Headphone dial.  This is now selectable in the var.txt file in the /DATA directory.

From var.txt

external atu =false;
RF<>Headphone =false;

To swap ATU for Tune if you have external ATU.  Just edit this file as follows:

external atu =true;
RF<>Headphone =false;

To swap RF Power for Headphone vol, Just edit this file as follows:

external atu =false;
RF<>Headphone =true;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/300fxm08weza0ve/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_6.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Vol Headphones - OK with True, TKS !

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Your welcome

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is another point release.  This one adds the option for finer steps if you so desire.

In var.txt edit the following line to "true" if you would like step sizes of (1hz/10hz vs 10hz/100hz);

external atu =false;
RF<>Headphone =false;
steps1-10=true;

Just for your Sergey !!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tad0hdoe4h2czf0/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_7.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
William thank you!
Will test it during weekend from remote location!
Now works fine, will report.
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Wow, a new release between the time I loaded at the laptop and the desktop PC.

Love it!

If I might add to the user configurable list, a swap between AGC-T to Volume would be nice.

Thanks,

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I made some changes I hope all will like.  I decided to ditch the var.txt and just use toggles on the app window itself.  

Defaults are red;
Internal ATU
Top Right dial = RF
Step toggles 10/100hz

Click on each in the App window and they turn blue, which means;

External ATU
Top Right dial = Headphones
Step toggles 1/10hz

These toggles replace the true/false entries in the var.txt file.

What do yall think?

Ill post the code later tonight. 

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Javier,

What volume are you referring to?

William
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The Volume A <> AGC-T  / Volume B <> AGC-T.  I find myself adjusting the AGC instead of the Slice Volume because is closer to the edge of the CMD Micro.  

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ah I get it now, you just want to swap them.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is an update adding Javier's suggestion.  I added a Toggle to swap Volume A <> AGC-T  / Volume B <> AGC-T.

Toggles in this version;

Swaps ATU <> TUNE
Swaps RF <> Headphone
Swaps Step - 1/10hz<>10/100hz
Swaps slice Volume  <> AGC-T

Red are default values/ Blue means new value

Give it a try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygxfs7br956next/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_8.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 301 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
William,

Once again, thanks for this great software.

Regarding step sizes, what you have works fine on my Hercules and I leave this to your good judgement.  My CMD Micro arrives tomorrow and I'm excited to fire it up.

I will point out a couple of my observations.  I find that most HF SSB QSOs occur at 500Hz. steps with only a few landing in between.  As a result, I've set the step size in SmartSDR on SSB at 500 Hz. and I use my mouse wheel to move across the band and/or point click to a trace in the waterfall.  When I want to fine tune, I use the Hercules with your software set for 10Hz.  On CW, click tune & 10Hz. seems to work well for me.

SmartSDR 1.4 remembers steps size on a per mode basis which are user selectable.  One way to satisfy many users would be to have the CMD step button cycle between the current SmartSDR step size selection and the fine tuning selection you think best.

I've suggested to Flex that they designate one of the extra "thumb" buttons on a five button mouse to select a second, selectable step size for fine tuning .  The suggestion is under consideration and I'm hopeful they will agree to this.

Have you considered a button to step through the bands or, for more versatility,  the new SmartSDR memory settings?

Best regards William & great work.  Thanks,

Bob, W7KWS

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Duane,

I experimented with step sizes a lot.  On the mouse 500hz is fine, as the mouse has indents.  Jut on a jog wheel 500hz was way too touchy.

In the hercules I implemented a slowdown routine that reduced the sensitivity of the jog wheel.  With this sensitivity turned down, tuning 500hz steps was not an issue.

I used the CMD micro during the last SSb contest, and I found that I only used 10hz, as most QSO's were at odd increments.  And if I wanted to move fast to the other side of the band 100hz was sufficient.

I'm open to ideas and would like others opinions.  Its no work for me to add as many as people want.  Just don't want to make it more complicated when it doesn't need to be.

In my operating style I only want two speeds.  Slow and fast.  If I have to cycle through step rates constantly it slows down my QSO rate.  If I need to go faster I just grab the mouse.

Others what is your opinion?  I'm happy to update as the community wants.

William
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 301 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
William,

Given the differences you remind me of between a mouse wheel and the tuning knob on the MIDI controller, I understand where you are coming from.  Thanks!

I wasn't suggesting that the step button cycle through all of the SmartSDR settings but rather toggle between the "current" setting and a fine tuning setting.  This way the user can set the SmartSDR setting on a per mode basis to his/her liking.

I use 500Hz. on a TMate2 coupled to SmartSDR via N4PY's Pegasus software. The TMate2  has a smooth knob much like the MIDIs.  Pushing the TMate2's tuning knob down toggles between 500Hz. & 10Hz. on SSB & 100Hz, 10Hz. on CW.  I find these setting work pretty well.

Just as an idea thought for everyone, I've found the MIDI controllers knobs to be a bit too shallow & uncomfortable compared to the feel of most radio tuning knobs.  On the Hercules I've glued a Daka-Ware 2" knob to the face of the Hercules platter which really makes a difference in the feel and it looks pretty good to.  When I make the mod to the CMD, I'll try to post a picture.

Here's a link to the knobs I'm using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluted-Daka-Ware-Tuning-Knob-2-Dia-Skirt-No-Pointer-/360399360920?pt=LH_Defa...

Best to you, William,

Bob, W7KWS (not Duane LOL)
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Thanks Duane!  you're now 1 behind :)
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

LOL

It looks like Dropbox will need a new link for each updated file.

Here is a new link that includes V1_8 If it still pulls up the old file, please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0u0hlghipo0orj/CMDMicroFlex6K%20Version%20Release%20Notes.docx?dl=0

William,

Is this helpful?

Duane

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Yes it is, thanks!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

A minor update to v1.8.  In v1.9 you can now save your defaults for the new Toggles added in v1.8.  A save button was added in the lower right corner.  After you save, next time you start CMDMicroFlex6k the toggles will remain in the state you choose.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwu4aub7b3xu9vd/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9.zip?dl=0

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I had another idea today at lunch.  The jog wheels on the CMD Micro are touch sensitive.  The center section of the wheel is metal and the outside is plastic.

In the DJ world this would be used for Jog and nudge.  Spinning the wheel using your finger placed on the center metal section is JOG, and spinning the wheel touching the outside plastic section is Nudge.

One thing I have noticed is fine tuning without indents is very touchy. 

So I decided to use the DJ logic in the CMD Micro.  If you spin the wheel from the outside (aka nudge) it slows the sensitivity down 5 times, allowing easier fine adjustment.  Spin the wheel with your finger from the center metal portion and its normal speed.

This is actually very intuitive and does not require any thought or practice.

I'm uploading a video and will past link shortly.  Let me know if you like this idea!

William
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 301 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
William,

Very interesting.  When I get the CMD this afternoon I'll try it. 

You and I were posting at the same time so I didn't see your last until after I'd finished my last.  I'll reconsider the knob I glue to the CMD.  It may have to be a conductive knob.

Bob

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Bob,

I have not uploaded the code yet for this feature.  Wanting comments if people think its useful first.  Currently spinning is spinning, no difference inside or out.  But I think adding this nudge feature is pretty slick.

William
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Looks like an awesome idea to me!

I think i will return my Numark ORBIT and get one of those controllers.
I like what you are doing, and the Numark ORBIT is stiff, and the driver software is a bit kludgy.  I am not pleased at all. it is very difficult to get the drivers working right, etc.

I love my Hercules DJControl LE.  The CMD Micro will become my remoting unit.

BTW.  I have not looked at what you are doing for the options toggles.  But it seems like you may not be far from a complete "Right-click and choose your option" interface for each button and control.  If you could manage this, everyone could customize everything the way they want and save it.  It would simplify the "can you make this button do this instead of that?"

I am planning on doing that with my Herc if I can figure out the logic for a drop list...
But that will all need to wait until next week.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
William, short report:
just tested CMD Micro with v1_9 and SSDR 1.4.3 on my iMAC 27 5K with Parallels and Win10 Tech preview with last update - NO DOUBTS, great job !
Thank you!
Photo of David

David

• 300 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
I like the spin and nudge. Is it adjustable and would it replace the need for the step button making that button available for a different function?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken,

I have that already in the works.  A generic midi mapping software.  I already have mastered the load, save, dropdown, etc necessary to do this.

My idea is as follows.

A generic app screen with a bunch of features listed such as tuneA, agctA, volA, etc.  Each will have a dropdown allowing you to choose a controller pitch/note.  I will have a dropdown allowing you to select the midi device also.

The app will have a built in midi tester so you can easily find out what control is what pitch/note etc.

Once you map it all out, the app will allow you to save.

It will be a piece of work, but I think I can get it done.

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
William, I like the spin-and-nudge function and would like to try it. 73, Alex DH2ID

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Uploading it now.  Try it out and let me know!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Sergey,

Glad its working for you!

David,

it is not currently adjustable, and it does not replace the steps button.  nudge only slows down the wheel so its less touchy.  You would still need to change the step.

William
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
William, a 'dummy' question, pse.  My CMD is in the mail.  Do I just plug it in and let win7 pick it up?  do i install any software from Behringer?  or, just run your software after my 6500 is connected?

Outstanding work on your part, and generous of you to share it freely !  73

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Just plug it in and load my software.  No drivers required for the CMD Micro as windows finds it auto-magically.

William

Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
works very well with hp stream 7" see photo here

and video here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90698164@N02/17012664552/

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Nice!!!
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
William Silly question.  I installed ver 2_0d.  I get the display and it finds my flex 6500 but I get no response.  I have restarted CMD and smart SDR no change.  Any thoughts?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Steve,

The drivers are not being installed for the CMD Micro.  My first guess would be your security software. 

Check device manager for any issues.  A few people had similar issues, and it was virus scan software.

Use an external midi tester such as http://forum.djuced.com/files/p_download/137/miditest.exe to troubleshooting.

William
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Got the problem solved rebooted.  I guess the driver software did not get fully install the first time.  Looks like everything is working great.  Thanks for your hard work on this.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Works great William.

Thanks,

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is the video for the spin and nudge, since it seems to have got buried.

Download link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyri9gq28qjnm56/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9b.zip?dl=0
Photo of Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

• 127 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

William, I like this idea, I will have my cmdmicro tonight.  I am going to return the Hurcules.

Jeff N3VE

Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
my micro will be here tomorrow, Hercules will go back to amazon in a box tomorrow...

Thank you William!
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
William, nudge is great! (nudge-nudge you know, Monty Python like...)
An on top a new SmartSDR version, and a new ham radio deluxe version!
It's like birthday, xmas and easter together ;-)
Thanks, happy Easter! and 73,
Alex DH2ID

Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
william, that is just TOO COOL !!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Cool!  Glad everyone is liking it!
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

FYI,

After updating to Ver 1.4.3.55, working remote from my laptop, when changing the band from 40 to 80 Meters, I got the screen display below

I still had control via the CMD Micro.  After restarting the application, I was able to reproduce the error, again going from 40m to 80m.

I will try it on my desktop PC later on.

Javier 

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
interesting, I will certainly check it out.  I am still installing the new version.  It wont be tonight, but I will get to the bottom of it.  I suspect they changed something.  Either way I will fix it.

I also see the image under the RF<>HP button is messed up.  I will fix that also.

William

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

• 127 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

same error hear on my PC

Jeff N3VE

I just got the cmd micro tonight and the Hercules is packed up going back.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
ok something must have changed.  Something as simple as the order the information is received.

Does this effect operation of the CMD at all?

William

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

• 127 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE

• 127 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
No, it still works

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok.  I'm almost 100% sure I know what the issue is.  I will investigate and let everyone know.  And of course fix it :)
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
William,

The nudge feature looks awesome. I am still waiting for my CMD Micro. With all the great effort you are putting in, by the time it arrives, I'll probably be on version 2.x.x.x.......

Kudos!

Duane

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok guys, I need help.  I can not seem to reproduce the error yall are having.  Can you please give me the exact steps?  Please include any info such as how many slices open, frequencies, mode, etc. 

Thanks

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I can't seem to reproduce this error, but based on the screen shots I think I know what it is.  Please try this revision and let me know

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag3mhs7m0wsuiiv/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9c.zip?dl=0
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

William,

Let me know if I miss or misrepresent anything on the Version History

Duane

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Version 1.9c work, no problems or bugs. I like the version history!
73, Alex DH2ID
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All found a bug in 1.9c, a null pointer exception can be triggered under the right conditions.  Also I was reading in all available data from the radio and parsing it.  However I should have been parsing each line separately.  This may have also been the issue seen with the garbage on the screen in v1.9b.  So please give this new version a try, and report any bugs found.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8yvr8rkbhaqlq6/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9d.zip?dl=0

Regards,

William
W4WHL
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
On a side note.  I'm not sure if something changed in radio firmware, but I can now manipulate pan-adapter bandwidth via external program.  Who would like panadapter zoom +/- option that can be swapped with the NR/NB buttons.

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
That would be very interesting, William. I don't use panadapter zoom
often, but somertimes it would be nice to look at the bigger picture,
or waterfall in this case ;-)
I just downloaded 1.9d and will report if there are problems.
73, Alex DH2ID

My favorite bananas:

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
It may be extremely useful for the digi/cw folks.  I'll wait opinions before I commit to coding.  Its not a hard task, but don't want to waste my time unless people really want it.
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 647 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
William we want all plus 10%
Get my CMD Saturday or Tuesday and Hercules goes back to Amazon :-)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I need more buttons  LOL
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Pressing a button long/short wouldn't be an option, I guess.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Not really, it could be done, but it would be hard
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
William, I wonder about using a slider to do the zoom?  You could program a couple of reasonable limits of pan width and correlate them to the control value.  Or is the access you have one that is a simple +/- like the buttons on the SSDR interface?

BTW:  I have thought about using a timing loop to create a short/long press control button on my Hercules, but haven't had time to get to it. Almost anything is possible, if you want to spend the time to program it!
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Ken, your idea is much better than mine! An option to use the balance (or any other) slider should be possible.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

I considered this, but you need to start from current bandwidth.  Using a slider would cause the screen to jump.  It's best to query the radio for current bandwidth and just add or subtract to that value.

My current test code I just uploaded works real good, and I think y'all will like it.

What would be best to use is a encoder dial.  But there is only one available on the micro.  And I think swapping out the mode button is not a good idea.  Most people will set NB/NR and leave it.  But they may change mode and bandwidth often.

If I had one more button I would do a shift function.  Maybe in a future release I will remove CWX3 and make it a shift button.  With shift pressed CWX 1-2 becomes 3-4, and NB/NB becomes bandwidth.  This is a bigger change and may add it at some point.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I finished coding the swap for NB/NR <> Pan Bandwidth.  I'm getting too quick at this.

Uploading now!  Will post link shortly

William
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I'll try this! Another idea: Setting up one of the buttons (one seldom used, VOX?)
as a swap or function button would make it possible to give all buttons two
functions.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
great minds think alike.  I just mentioned doing this in another reply

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Yeah, great mind...thanks, will tell my wife!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Photo of IK6DLK Fabrizio

IK6DLK Fabrizio

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
william I installed only version 1.9E, the program runs, but does not find the flex6500. With older version of your program, not numbered, by entering the IP Flex 6500 CMDMicro runs good. A suggestion?
win 8.1
Tnx Fabrizio IK6DLK
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 99 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
It seems I'm having a similar problem with my 6500. I've downloaded V1.9e and get no ip connection to the radio.
The CMD window appears on my desktop and there's some interaction between the desktop and the controller but not with the radio.

This is the 1st attempt to get this working with my 6500. I did have an LE with my old F5K but that was a different setup.

Also it appears after I installed the software and the controller found its driver my desktop icons got scrambled and enlarged during a reboot. ???

I'm running i7, win7 64bit, 16gb ram and dual video cards.
Photo of Bernie

Bernie

• 30 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
V1.9e is working OK here.  Also running i7, win 7 64 bit, but only 1 video card.

Bernie, W4BGH

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Fabrizio,

You are the first to report this issue with discovery.  I'm not sure what it could be without being there.  However I made you a custom version of the newest version that uses manual IP.  This should allow you to use the latest features.  Please try the original software on different workstations and check the obvious things such firewall settings etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gap6unikww23mk1/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9e-manual.zip?dl=0

Joe,

The software does not modify anything in windows.  It actually does not install at all.  Its just a standalone portable app.  Any changes to your windows Icons must purely be coincidental.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
The discovery issue could be slow network response.  The APP listens for 3 seconds before deciding giving up.  With my nework and radio I receive 4 UDP messages within  that time.  Maybe this is just not long enough for slower networks.  I will post a new version tomorrow with a longer timeout.  Until then please use the manual version I just posted.  I am away from my main workstation with all my data.

William
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 99 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks William, I'll try it tonight when I get home.
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 99 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

I loaded the "Manual" version last night and took a small step forward.

After entering the IP i can now see the frequency readout on the CMD screen for VFO A and if I add a B VFO/Slice that appears also. If I change freq using my Flex Kno or Mouse the Freq on the CMD screen follows along.

However, I get no response from the CMD device controls. NaDa!

I did uninstall the previous version of 1.9e automated IP version bdefore installing the Manual version.

Joe

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Joe,

The program can not contact the CMD Micro.  Please use this midi test software to see if the CMD Micro is even working.

If this software does not show CMD Micro as an option in the dropdown, the Micro is not working.  This is most likely a driver problem on your PC.

Also check device manager and see if the CMD Micro is there.

http://forum.djuced.com/files/p_download/137/miditest.exe

William
Photo of Joe - KC2TN

Joe - KC2TN

• 99 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

OK, Finally home from all the Easter activities today.

You hit the naill on the head William. The CMD Micro driver did not load due to my Malwarebytes blocking it. Don't know why I didn't get a warning, i ususally do, but not this  time. In any case, I loaded the 1.9f version and ALL seems to be working now.

I havn't had time to review what's been done in the past few days, I noticed the VOL A slider works but does not move the slider on the FRS screen.

Also, Is there a way to turn OFF or Power Down the CMD Micro? At least without having to pull the plug!

Thanks for a GREAT product and the help!!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Joe,

The vol slider not updating in SmartSDR is a known bug in SmartSDR, not an issue with the Midi controller.

No there is no power off for the CMD Micro. 

William
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Man, I have done myself a major disservice by not reading this thread before!  You have made some pretty incredible progress with these external controllers!  I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but had to comment and give you some kudos.

So...have you thought about using this controller?  Same company, so may not be hard to interface with?  Might be good for folks who only use one vfo primarily?  Not even sure if it'd be compatible with what you are doing.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Yes I could adapt to that one very easy (well easy, not short).  I almost bought this one to be honest.  And I may still,  You could still use 2 VFO's (even 4) as this one has a deck switch that could be used to switch VFO's.

Its a tad more expensive, but I'm sure the Jog wheel is nicer, as its a 4" vs the 2" of the micro. 

Damn amazon prime!

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Not enough sliders, methinks. I like the second wheel for split ops. Changing VFOs with a switch could be a PITA in the DX working heat :-)
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Dammit I ordered ones.  My CMD Micro is for my remote laptop.  I think I will use this one for my main station.  All those dials...pretty

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
who needs sliders with all those dials :)  I kinda agree with the second jog wheel, but I managed on a single tune wheel on my 756pro2 just fine. 

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other.  Just another option.  For my operating style, one knob is fine.

Plus its just fun to play with new toys. 
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I agree - grudgingly. More knobs, less sliders.The smaller CMD PL1 would be easier to place on my small shack table....
If you adapt your program, I'll order one.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Haha Willam, well, sorry about that...didn't mean to prod you into buying one, although you didn't need much prodding!  :D  All the knobs I think will make adjustments really easy especially for IF-shift and filter bandwidth settings, both really nice to have quick at hand during a contest.

Of course, now I have to order one, haha!  

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
CMD PL1 is not smaller, its actually pretty big.  The jog wheel is 4" diameter
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Hm, well, if more buttons/sliders are needed....
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
OKaaayyy... but a new toy is nice...

About toys: when I bought my boat, Skua, a 37ft 16 ton steel ketch, I always
quoted my favorite quip "the difference between men and boys is the price of
their toys". The second one was: "sailing is tearing up 100 dollar bills under a cold
shower"
Now that I am a full time ham operator, almost all toys are allowed, as
"ham radio is not expensive at all" har har
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Micheal good point the CMD series is modular, just keep adding as needed :)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Michael, if you have looked at the source code, it is simply a matter of changing numbers to determine which button or control activates which function. Once William sorted out how to read and write to the rig, and found the midi tools for the Processing language in order to read the controls on the MIDI devices, it is all "plug & chug" as we used to say in my math & physics classes. Any MIDI device can be used, one you k ow how it is mapped! Awesome!

William, the deck button looks like it cycles through four different decks. I would assume that that means the main dial could be programmed for A, B, RIT and XIT.

It might even allow you to map custom key assignment codes for each deck, which would simplify the software.

I might look at the documentation and see when I get a chance.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Found a video of the controller at some expo that was being demoed by a Behringer guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RApEoUobY

Apparently, there is what looks to be like a VU meter to the left of the main sider, and all of those knobs at the top are also pushbuttons, pretty cool.  The video does give a good impression on the size of the unit, it does seem a bit big, but I'm ok with that as you need room around all the knobs, looks like they will be easy to use.

Pretty exciting stuff here!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Ha! Alex, when I start thinking about how much my rig and tower projects are costing, I think of how much some people spend on their fishing boats, and the trucks they need to pull them!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken the deck button cycles channel, so pressing switches the output channel.  So you could certainly map different functions for each deck
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
I just ordered one on Amazon, $79.99 shipped. Not bad. I am returning the Numark ORBIT, which was a dissapointment.
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
haha, see what Michael did.  We sure he does not work for Behringer LOL
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
"We sure he does not work for Behringer "   LOL 
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Hahaha!  No I don't but and employee discount would be nice as that PL-1 is £72.54 here in the UK.  Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of shopping to find a good deal.  I see a few on eBay so I'll try my luck.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I think we need to start a separate thread for all these different controllers

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 648 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
William, make a Yahoo group. It's help helpful to upload and download file and pictures too. Only a idea.
If you need help i will assist you.
Photo of David

David

• 300 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Have you considered GitHub, Google Code, or Source Forge since you are sharing coding they might help on revision code control. Keeping the discussion here is good since it is focused to the Flex community.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All good ideas!!

Here is my initial thought for the PL1

(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Not sure what to do about balance,  I could of course make some of the dials dual function, but don't want to over complicate things. 

Since I'm taking on the task, I want it my way :) But interested in what others think that may be interested in this device.

Willam
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Layout looks pretty good, but not sure how much use PAN-/PAN+ would get in my shack, assuming it's for adding/removing panadapters?  I would ask for one dual-function dial, for the filter.  Normal position is for RX filter, pushed in adjusts TX filter.  Or, you could use one knob each for RX and TX, normal position adjusts low, pushed in adjusts high.  Reason is that from time to time here I run into some folks that are at 4K wide or so, and if the band is clear, I widen out and chat back with them.  Current UI with SSDR, makes this a bit slow, but knobulating (technical term!) it would make it work pretty slick.  I would love to see the ANF in there somewhere, always handy to be able to hit that button in a hurry when someone decides to tune up on frequency with 4Kw.  Being able to switch speech compression levels would be nice too.  I'm not a CW op, so I know where I'd want those, haha.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Micheal good Idea, the filter high an low could be dual functions with a shift key.

The pan buttons are to zoom the panfall in and out, not to add slices.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Ah, ok, yep, I would use the pan +- a fair bit then, ok.

From the video I saw, all of the 8 knobs at the top function as pushbuttons, so no shift key needed, just push the knob to change the function.  :)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Michael, are the 8 knobs pits or rotary encoders?  it might make a difference as I customize my programming.

BTW, I plan to use a separate balance for A & B because I often like to have the DX in both speakers and the "mob" in the right ear.  But when I want to monitor two different frequencies for other purposes, I like to pan each slice to a different speaker, or sometimes an 80/20 split.
Another great thing about this MIDI interface...it is so easy to reconfigure!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
William, that is a good looking setup so far.  Are you using an on/off toggle for RIT with a long-press  for clear?  that is why I am going to try to implement, with a count-up loop that if exceeded makes RIT/XIT clear.

If those are 8 little rotary encoders, then it would be simple to make RIT/XIT/AGC-T, slice volume, etc. switch between A/B with a simple press.  Filter hi/lo would also be dual function on the same knob.

You could use the "VFO Select" to select A/B/RTIT/XIT tuning, though that might become oppressive to cycle through four options each time you need it.

Do you know if that knob is "dual speed" like the other one you have?
This could become more potential versatility than even my Herc.  And it looks to be about half the size!

Once I get through this weekend, I plan to get back to programming.  But now I need to make two versions at the same time.  I am planning to perfect a version for the DJControl LE and link that to the PowerSDR-UI board, because there are a number of people hanging around that board who are making the shift from PowerSDR to SmartSDR.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Ken, I've no idea if they are rotary encoders or with detents.  I just saw the device, watched the video and brainstormed some potential use cases.  :)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I just looked they are all endless rotary encoders
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Wonderful!  That just increased their value! 8 rotary encoders!
You can encode them in the same way that you do the mode shift button, but with a high end and low end stop.  Other commands you can do like the rotary encoders for RIT/XIT.

I am going to enjoy this one when it arrives!  It may even become my main MIDI control.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
What about this?  Each dial has an alternate function when "press turned".  Also a shift button for alternate switch functions.  This is of course on the assumption the dials are encoders.

The LED's in the encoders/ slider will show same value as SmartSDR.  But this means I have to parse a ton more data. 

Also think I will make the step button switch between 1/10/50 then add a step x10 button for fast movement.  So when on 10hz step the x10 button will switch it to 100, and 50 to 500, etc etc.

This will be my most extensive project to date, but I think it will be AWSOME when its done.

Thoughts?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Have two TX selects oops, but yall get the idea
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Looks and sound good. I like the shift button.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
By "press tuned" do you mean like a function toggle button, or press-and-hold-down while tuning?  I like the first, but do not like the last.  I always seem to let go too soon with a press-and-hold tuning button.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I was thinking that the pushbutton function of the 8 knobs would work as an individual shift button for that particular knob.  The shift button is still a good idea, but if each knob can be shifted individually by just pressing the knob you already have a hold of, that would be much better than releasing the knob, hitting shift, finding the knob again.  I'm just thinking workflow during contesting, and not having to hunt the shift button for the knobs would certainly speed things up.  To be clear, i'm envisioning pressing the knob as a momentary action, not one to be held while making the adjustment.

Also for the RIT/XIT on/off and shifted clear function, maybe holding the button for 1 second would clear rather than hitting shift?  Contest types may want a 500msec instead, but then I suppose you could expose that variable as a user configured value.

From an old sound engineer standpoint, it makes sense to me to put the master volume on the big fader, and move VFO volume to go live with HP volume.  Probably just personal preference though.

Not sure what "bandwidth" refers to under "mic level" is that the panadapter zoom?  If so, that's a GREAT idea.

I'm with you William, this is going to be AWESOME.
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken its a toggle not a press an hold, at least that is how I'm coding it.  I guess you can code it any way you like.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Sounds good. Boolean logic for a status toggle, IF/ELSE for variable function. Should be easy going!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

For the CMD PL1 I will need much more data from the radio.  Currently the CMD micro only queries Freq, slice, mode.  So I started a new parse routine to use with the PL1.  Currently the parsing is working good for Freq,slice,mode,pan,agc,slice vol,balance,tx low,tx high, rx low, rx high, bandwidth for slice A and B.  I still need to add in Main volume and a few others.

So that was the biggest hurdle.  If anyone cares to look at how I did this;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw9fu6s993hxxd8/Flex_Parse.pde?dl=0

William
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Thanks I was looking for a bit of code I changed a few revisions back, but couldn't find it.  your doc helped me locate it.  I'm very unorganized, more OCD

william

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I'm looking to limit the available modes on the CMD for speed.  Which modes do you really need on a controller.  I think digi modes should just be done on the pc where they belong.

My thoughts are USB,LSB,AM,CW and that's it.  Opinions?
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
DIGU, NFM modes needed here...

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
ok

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Maybe a list of available modes can be made in a user editable file.  This way people can choose the modes they use.

For me I am 99% phone, but others may be 99% Digi or CW.

William
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I'm thinking that are any modes needed at all on the CMD?  My use case is putting frequently accessed settings within easy reach.  I don't change modes very often in a session, so taking up a spot on the CMD is of limited value to me.  However, I think the USB, LSB, AM and CW would cover it, but I would substitute SAM for AM.
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

I think editable list would be a better option.  In my case, I would set it to DIGL, USB, SSB, CW.  

Javier
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Javier, I concur with an editable, or dropdown list.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

I have the CMD PL-1 partially working.  Wow this guy has my head spinning.  Its taken me a good amount of time to figure this guy out.   The Deck button switches channels, and this is actually sorta a pain. 

So far I have the VFO working with steps 1/10/50hz and the x10 button .  Also I have waterfall bandwidth, main vol, headphone vol, vfo vol working.

This controller is surely more of a challenge, but I will get all the functions working with time.  I just wish I could control the deck selection via software, so it would just cycle 1-2 only.

I have a video uploading that shows the above functions working that I will post in a bit.

William