Hercules MIDI with 6300

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
All,

I wrote a program in "processing" that allows me to control my 6300 over CAT with the Hercules DJ Instinct.

Currently working;
VFOA Freq w/variable speed
VFOB Freq w/variable speed
XIT offset
RIT offset
PTT

Planned;
ACGT
Main Volume
vfoA volume
vfoB volume
Step size
mode
bandwidth
etc.

I am somewhat limited with CAT.  DDUTIL adds in additional CAT commands (DD6) that will do most of what else I want.  However I cant seem to get the DDUTIL commands to work.  So if anyone has experience using DDUTIL commands.  Please help me out!

Anyway here is a short video, sorry about the shaking! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oidCZVeAKbo&list=UUXPBbnOEFQ_MN6UM...

W4WHL
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I made a few updates.  First I incorporated a fix for countries that use a commas instead of decimal.  Also added a few more LED functions for PTT & STEP.  Renamed VFO speed to "VFO delay" and reduced sensitivity.  Updated the main graphic to represent current layout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re9tlop8r7y7wje/FlexMidiTCP.zip?dl=0

Regards,

William
W4WHL

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I made one more update.  Added VFO swap.  Now you can swap A<>B which is useful for syncing logging software.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re9tlop8r7y7wje/FlexMidiTCP.zip?dl=0

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken,

I liked the way you did the toggles.  I may change mine to do similar.  Neat Idea to use Boolean.

I'm thinking of buying a small cheap DJ controller like this

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Wireless-Handheld-Controller-Accelerometer/dp/B00BF82I9W/ref=sr_1_61?s=...

for remote laptop use.  Would anybody be interested in a smaller simple controller for remote use?

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Deck-Based-Touch-Sensitive-Platter-Switching/dp/B005QPDALK/ref=sr_1_...

And this one may be perfect for laptop use

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CMD-Micro-Controller-Deck/dp/B00DW5NB4W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

William
(Edited)
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am interested...The surface pro 3 is an awesome remote device, small MIDI controller... Good combo

Now just need to get the VPN back up and running

Thanks again
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
In the documentation available for all of these, there is usually a layout of the device with references to the MIDI Notes associated to the various buttons and controls.  There is available a cross-reference on the internet that gives the channel number (1-127) for each one of these controls.  (I didn't discover this until I had done mine the hard way!)  All that seems to me that would be needed would be to edit all the channel numbers in your program or mine and you are done!

BTW.  For mine, I simply installed the DJControl driver that I downloaded from the Hercules website.  I didn't install any of their other MIDI software, MIDI Mapping, etc.
If a person installed their MIDI mapping software, you could possibly write your program with generic terms, or better yet, the MIDI Notes or control numbers, to refer to the channel numbers in the software's functions, and then write a series of MIDI Maps for the various DJ Controllers.  I am sure that many different brands and models could be adapted this way, or with the "brute force" method of editing the actual program.

I may pick up one of the inexpensive smaller ones for my laptop... or perhaps a Bluetooth one could be used with my iPad Air?

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
BTW William...
Using Boolean on the toggles seemed like the "logical" thing to do!  (;P)
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 435 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
If you guys keep going you will build a MIDI subsystem for controlling the rig.  Envision a recording studio mixer as a contest controller with multi computers and 6ks on the end.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I ordered this little guy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW5NB4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKI...

It should do all I need for remote ops.  Would be interested in what functions would be best to include for this one.

Here is a quick idea

William
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Amazon Prime is dangerous... it will be here tomorrow :)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
Very nice.  I hadn't seen that one.  I like the way it is arranged, and it looks very solid.  But $199 is a little steep when I already have the Herc!  When the  Herc breaks, i'll be looking at one.

I DID just order this one...it looks like fun...especially when I am running portable on the laptop.  

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Wireless-Handheld-Controller-Accelerometer/dp/B00BF82I9W/ref=sr_1_60?s=...

And it's within my "mad money" budget.

Ken - NM9P

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Yea I'm not ordering one.  Just if I had to do it over.  I bought the Instinct not knowing if I could even get it to work.  So didn't want to spend a ton.  The Instinct is just fine for my needs.  I just need to weight the Jog wheels.

But bought the Behringer micro for my remote setup.  I don't like moving my shack equipment. 

At some point we should combine all of these in one location.  Maybe we could build a webpage that list downloads of the available controllers and help pages to brew your own.
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
The controller Ken picked up was $111 off the regular price. Amazing and the unit has 2.4 gb wireless capability . If only it came in black, lol.

Duane
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
I just found this layout chart on the new one I will be receiving. It should be simple to remap my program for this one...

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok my second attempt.  I like this this layout better.

William
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4148 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
Very nice layout. I like it.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 306 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
It seems like a good choice as the Hercules is hard to mount vertically like a radio front panel.  This looks like it would be good for that and for a laptop.

Any thought for adding band buttons up and down?

Thanks for the software....

Bob, W7KWS

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
This is the piece of info I needed to decifer the buttons on midi maps.  I had no idea what C#1 was..LOL.  But it means C Sharp Octave 1 or pitch 25.  This chart makes it easy.   Every midi device should have a map that is downloadable from the website.

(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4148 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
Yes. I just figured that out last night! I wish I had learned this before I started.... It would have saved me a bunch of time. There is a post somewhere on the Hercules site that had all of the notes layout on my unit, but I didn't think of looking them up on a chart like this. I had to solve it like a Sudoku puzzle! Ha!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
hehe
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Just ordered a small brother  - Behringer CMD Micro DJ Controller with 2 Deck
at Wednesday will play with new toy :-)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
CMD Micro is alive.  Al functions mapped.  Still needs lots of testing before I post it.  Have to also get the LED's mapped.  But here is a sneak peak.

Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
You are just cranking these out...How do you like the hardware? Better than the hercules?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Its better built I think.  Its actual aluminum.  Buttons are a bit stiff, but I read the soften up with use.  Still tweaking the Jog wheels (so I will state opinion when I get them dialed in).  But its a quality built unit.

I will give a detailed review once I get it working the way I like.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4148 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
William,
I just found this excellent MIDI monitor recommended on the Hercules Technical Support site.

http://obds.free.fr/midimon/

It is really fast and gives lots of good information on each control activation.
I just started playing with it.

Ken - NM9P

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Thanks ken, I downloaded it, and it is great.  Thanks!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4148 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
Just don't click any mode other than "Data Monitor," if you do, it locks up and needs to be uninstalled and re-installed.  At least on my computer running Win Tech Preview 10 it did!

I think it wants to be registered before it will use any other functions, and the lock out function is buggy.
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok I have the CMD Micro working 100% with all functions.  I have to say the Behringer is FAR superior.  It just feels professional.  Jog wheels are heavier, and metal case.  I love it!!  It was a bit of work, as it does some things different.  But I figured it all out.  Just need to clean up the code, and I will post it.  But wont be today, I'm beat!

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is the CMD with labels added

Oh did I say it works GREAT!

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ok I had a chance to work about 50 DX in the contest.  I have to say I love this CMD Micro! Its working great.
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Hi William,

I just ordered one myself.  Thanks for getting us started, look forward to the code post after you take a hiatus and catch up on some sleep....

What do you use for labeling?

Duane

Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Thanks! I have a Ptouch labeler

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is the first version of the code for the CMD Micro.  All buttons and Knobs work as labled in the APP window.  Its not the cleanest code, but it works :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hmwjx3j7irpi8z/CMDMicroFlex6k.zip?dl=0

William
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken,

Thanks for the comments!  I have been using the CMD Micro exclusively during the contest, and it's doing a great job.

How is your controller working for you.  As I'm sure you are participating in the contest.

I'm not competing in this contest, but I am participating.  I have just 150 contacts as I had to work last night and today.  But it has been a good test of the midi controller.  I have to say, knobs and SDR is a killer combo.  I'm having a blast playing with this.

William
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, I am not able to do much in this contest.  I just got back about 5 pm from a Cub scount activity with my 7 year-old son.  We left yesterday and stayed overnight for their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) program - six 40 minute classes that helped them earn "beltloops" and patches for their progress in Cub Scouts.

I haven't gotten any new programming done, either, but I have been pondering some new Ideas.  Only a little time to play before I must get back to work...

After Easter, I will have more time for major updates...

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
GM William,

yesterday I went to our "Rock Shop" and bought a CMD micro, because my
FlexControl knob just does not do enough and I like your setup and program
for the CMD. I have some questions/suggestions concerning your setup:

1. Starting your program, mode seems to default to USB, is it possible to
    leave mode at the last setting?
2. Step size varies perfectly between 10 and 100Hz, but is not shown
    on the SSDR screen. 
3. If AGC-T is st to "off" for digital modes, your CMD sliders are not
    working. The sliders work for all other settings, like "fast, med,slow"
4. It would be great, if pressing "ATU" would start the tune button in SmartSDR,
    maybe as an alternative setting, for all those of us, who use an external
    Tuner.
5. Starting the program you have to input the SmartSDR IP address. Is it
    possible to get this address automatically?

I'm no programmer,alas, so I don't know how to change these
settings, but if you could find the time, you could maybe point
me in the right direction :-)

73 and thank you for the program,

Alex DH2ID

(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Alex,

Thanks for testing the software!  I appreciate the feedback, as I can't test everything.  Everyone operates differently.  See my responses below

1. Starting your program, mode seems to default to USB, is it possible to
    leave mode at the last setting? This is now fixed
2. Step size varies perfectly between 10 and 100Hz, but is not shown
    on the SSDR screen.   This is now fixed
3. If AGC-T is st to "off" for digital modes, your CMD sliders are not
    working. The sliders work for all other settings, like "fast, med,slow" This is now fixed
4. It would be great, if pressing "ATU" would start the tune button in SmartSDR,
    maybe as an alternative setting, for all those of us, who use an external
    Tuner.  I created a new version for Ex Tuner

I am compiling them and will post a link in a few.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Oh I forgot to answer this question:

5. Starting the program you have to input the SmartSDR IP address. Is it
    possible to get this address automatically?

Yes this is possible, but it requires a substantial amount of programming, which I don't really want to tackle.  FlexLib allows this easily, but I am not using Flexlib.  My program just uses the TCPIP API.  If you use a fixed IP (static reservation in your router)  It is simple to just modify the program to connect without asking.  So at this time, I do not foresee me attempting this.

What I may do is create a file that you can edit and just enter your IP, so you only have to do it once (or whenever you change it).  Let me think about this.  But I do not plan on adding IP discovery.  Its just too much work :)

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I made a modification to the CMD Micro application.  Now there is a text file located in the application.windows64\data directory called ip.txtMake sure you edit the correct one :).  Just edit this file with notepad and add your IP address,. Now when you load the application, the IP will already be filled out.  You can of course change it if you wish, but you can now just hit enter.  This should make life easier.

The two versions are uploading as we speak (standard and external tuner)

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here are the updated downloads:

Fixed issues

AGCT now works in OFF
Mode does not default to USB
Step now displayed in SmartSDR
New Version for external tuner
Set default IP via text file

Standard -  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hmwjx3j7irpi8z/CMDMicroFlex6k.zip?dl=0

Ex Tuner - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk4cgrfotizi6ko/CMDMicroFlex6k_ExTune.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Hi Guys, what size of the buttons in mm on Micro? I wanna to prepare labels in advance while waiting for my one.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 969 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
GE Sergey, small buttons are 15x8 mm and the big ones 15x15mm.

I did'nt put labels on the buttons, though,  but beneath them.

That doesn't look very pretty, but this way the labels don't peel off
easily. 

73, Alex DH2ID

(Edited)
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Got it Alex, thank you, my controller will joint me at Wednesday and I wanna be prepared :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Sergey,

The rectangular ones, like +, -, 1, 2, etc, are 14.5 wide by 5.5 mm high.  

The square ones, like CUE, SYNC, etc, are 12.75 x 12.75 mm.

With those dimensions, you will cover just the black portion of the buttons.

Javier
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 969 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
William, I concur with Javier, who wrote:

...While trying out your CMDMicroFlex6K, I found out hat when in LSB, changing the filter size with either the + or - button, flips the filter to the USB side of the carrier...

I find exactly the same behaviour here.

73, Alex, DH2ID

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Javier and all,

I solved the filter issue.  The issue is the APP does not poll the radio for mode.  If you switch filters before actually cycling the mode dial, the app assumes your still in USB.

I have modified the program to actually read the mode from the radio, so this issue should be a problem now.  I will test some more then recompile the APP.  Should have a new download shortly.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
new files uploading now.  I'll post links in ~15 min.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here are the new files with fixed filters.  Test them out and let me know!  I still need to clean these up.  But will do that after I get the testing results.

Ex Tuner - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk4cgrfotizi6ko/CMDMicroFlex6k_ExTune.zip?dl=0
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
William, thank you for the new files.
There is still some funny behaviour, but I think I have found what happens here:

1. Setting LSB, say on 40m, with SmartSDR, then pressing the filter button on
    the CMD -> still sets USB.
2. Setting LSB with the CMD mode knob, then pressing filter button, leaves
    mode in LSB.
3. Setting CW with SmartSDR, then pressing filter buttonon CMD -> sets
    CW-USB filter in SmartSDR.

I'll post some screen shots:

1. LSB set in SmartSDR:

2. LSB: Pressing filter on CMD:

3. LSB: Change mode from CMD:

=============================================================================
4. CW on 40m, set in SmartSDR:

5. Changed to LSB in SmartSDR, pressed filter on CMD, changes to USB:

So it all comes down to this: 

If you change mode from CMD, then filters, all seems to be ok.
Must be an interaction between SmartSDR settings and CMD
settings!?

73, Alex DH2ID

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Alex, its just the Ex Tuner version.  I forgot a single line :(  This behavior is exactly what I fixed.  The other version works fine.

I fixed this Ex Tuner version and reuploading it now.  Sorry!

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
if your not using the ex tuner version, let me know and I will reupload that version too.  I tested both and they are working for me now

Edit I checked the download, the standard download is correct.  The Ex Tuner version was not the newest.  Its uploading now
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Both versions should be correct now.  Sorry for the mess ups!  And thanks for your patience!

CMD Micro

Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
No worries,

Will let you know if I run into anything else.

Again, thanks for all your efforts,

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
There are a few known bugs with adding a slice,  Freq A jumps 5k and Freq B moves to last position when you spin the dial.  This only happens when you first add slice B.  I have a fix for this and several other small fixes.  I just need to delete some of the incoming data from the radio before its parsed.  But I will wait for more bug reports befor uploading a new release.  I think its fairly usable now.  Please keep the bug reports flowing so I can get this dialed in.  Thanks again!

William
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
fantastic job, William..
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Thank you, William! I have found no new bugs, and the LSB->USB one is
fixed. 
As you said before, everyone has his own operating method. I like to
change profiles often, as I work more than 90% digital modes like JT,
which need a lot of special settings. Your program now stays connected
even while changing profiles, whereas before you had to reconnect.
Great!
73, Alex DH2ID

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

I have created a new revamped (I know for the 100000000th time) :) version for the CMD Micro.  This version has the following updates:

1.  Fixed bugs with filter changes with dual slices open
2.  Fixed bug with slice B mode not parsed correctly at start up
3.  Fixed bug with VFOB frequency not parsed correctly at start up
4.  Made use of functions to clean up code
5.  Created a file in the data directory called atu.txt.  Edit this file contents to true if using external ATU.  This way I don't have to keep updating two versions :)
6.  And many other small changes

Please test it out and let me know if you have any issues.

Dropbox is down, but will upload code as soon as its back online!

William
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
William - It's an addiction, isn't it!  It never ends... there are always more things that can be added...when does it ever stop!  ha ha!
The beauty is that the more we understand the API, and the Processing program and midi functions, the easier and faster it is to do new things.

A suggestion:
You might consider renaming your file with a date code, as I have been doing at home  "Flex_DJControlMP3LE_2015-03-30" or something like it.  Whenever I download one of your copies, I rename it so I don't get confused as to which version is the latest!

BTW, I just got the email that my new micro controller was just delivered.  But I won't get to play any until tonight after about 8:30 pm.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I am starting as of this upload to use version numbers.  Yes I get confused myself :)  I spent an hour last night updating an old version and didnt understand why things didn't work correctly Doh!!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is the newest version for the CMD Micro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tj67vpbg2jq0eu/CMD6k-v1.1.zip?dl=0
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

The newest version works very well with my desktop PC (I would say flawlessly, but do not want to jinx it)

I moved the CMD Micro to my laptop for testing, also with the latest version and ran into problems.  The application does not seem to find and connect to the radio, even though the correct IP address was entered.  The Frequency displays on the CMDMicroFlex6k start at 0.0000000 and I can vary the display value from there.

The Flex 6300 works without issues through the latpop.

I suspect I am having a port issue with my Wireless Router, given that I changed  changed the stock firmware to a DD-WRT version last Sunday.

Are there any ports unique to the for the CMDMicroFlex6k  communication with the radio ?

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Javier,

I really can't say what is going on here.  It is very possible it is your windows firewall blocking access to the APP.  The router should not make any difference wired vs wifi.  I would suspect the windows firewall and/or norton etc.

WIlliam
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Well, I tried it with my Windows and router SPI Firewall turned off, without change, so I turned both back on. 

The good news is that I tried it with 1_2 and although it did not populated the IP address windows the first time, it took the manual entry and it worked!

The second time I started the program, it found the IP address of the radio by itself.

Thanks,

Javier

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
One other thing.  The 6000 has a max number of clients that can connect at any given time.  So try rebooting your computers (all of them that may have hung connections to radio) that may has a connection to the radio and try again.   I have ran into this issue a few times with hung tcp sessions to my 6300.  A reboot of the computers fixed it. 

I just reproduced this error.  So this may be your issue,  So reboot all your PC's that you use to connect to radio, and then try your laptop again,

V1.2.0.0
        H########
                 MF3000001|The maximum number of connected clients has been reached
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I will fix the issue where sometimes the app does not get the ip.  this is just a waiting issue.  this test version just uses a set delay.  I just need to change it from a fixed delay to a wait until :)  easy fix, but not tonight :)  I was just concerned if it was getting the IP correctly and it seems it is.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is a test version I want everyone to test.  This version discovers the radio IP with UDP.  I know I said I was not going to do this.  But it was much easier than I thought.  It still needs cleaning up, but please let me know if it WORKS..LOL

You do not need a CMD or any midi device to try this.  Just run the program and let me know if it returns your IP correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxc6rvzhttswr62/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_2_discovery.zip?dl=0
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Your test version works, discovers IP correctly without having to set ip.txt and could
set it automatically. atu.txt also works.
73, Alex DH2ID
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is a new version for the CMD Micro.

This one has an improved discovery function.  Try it out and let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r382qq999834gau/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_3.zip?dl=0
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 604 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
No CMD here but the discovery worked

AL, K0VM
Photo of David

David

• 301 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
William,

This is an interest thread to watch and see develop. Would you be willing to do another video in landscape mode showing the CMD Micro in use to demonstrate the all the functionally? That is if you have the time.

Your work here is impressive and great presentation of the Flex Radio community strength.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Sure If I get a chance.  My biggest challenge is finding a way to get the controller and screen in the same shot.  Maybe one of the other user can post a video also.  I will try to figure out a way and make the video when I get a chance.

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
What I like about the CMD micro controller is that it
fits exactly into my small shack. With your program
it's just the perfect controller for SmartSDR, because it
runs on a separate screen and I had to click everyhing
with the mouse.

73, Alex DH2ID

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I made a quick video, but it's huge and will take a long time to upload.  I'll post it when its done.  But please excuse my rambling and use of the word uh! 100 times  LOL.  Its hard to hold a camera, explain what I'm doing and press the correct buttons :)
Photo of David

David

• 301 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Sounds like a tripod would be a big advantage for you. I am sure it will be a great added value in understanding the interfacing with SDR for those us that don't have a MIDI control. Thank you for taking the time to post one.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Sorry about the rambling and use of "OH" and "UM" a lot :)  And of course once I said ACG Threshold when I meant AGC.  Anyway it does show how the device works.

William
Photo of David

David

• 301 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
The demo video is good. It shows what the device can do. I'm guessing it would be possible to make the ATU a Tune for those with an external tuner. Is it possible to the filter variable as well?

Does anyone have the Flex Control as well to provide a comparison?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
David,

There is a file in the data directory that you can edit if you use an external ATU.  So the ATU button does a tune if you have an external ATU.  So yes that has already been accounted for.

William
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Fantastic job William,
IMHO better it will be exchange RF function with HeadPhone volume, I think this knob a bit more popular in daily operations :-)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 970 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
William, David,

concerning FlexControl: I have one and have used it for my Flex-3000 and now
for my Flex-6500 (until William wrote his program for the CM micro, of course ;-))

The CMD micro tunes just as smooth as the FlexControl knob, which is a bit
more weighted, but has only 5 functions (3 buttons, the knob, which can also
be pressed short or long)

Another issue with the FlexControl was, that some of the knobs failed
after heavy use because of problems with the center axis. The CMD micro
should stand up to a lot of tuning and pressure, because it was designed
for youthful DJs ... 8-)

To cut it short: The CMD micro with your excellent program is much more
versatile and usable especially for split DX work, for CW, for tuning and
fast frequency changes than the FlexControl knob.

I must of course say for FRS, that the FlexControl knob was never designed to
do more than tuning and a bit more and added just a fast tuning device to an otherwise clickable GUI like PowerSDR. 
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
One thing to note with my software is the way the balance behaves when operating splits.  When Two slices are open, sliding the balance all the way to the left puts slice A in the left speaker and slice B in the right speaker.  Balance all the way to the right is the opposite.  This is useful if you want to hear the mob and the OP.

Sergy,

I'm happy to change the RF knob to a Headphone knob.  Maybe I can make that a user configurable item.

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Ken,

Just for your info!

I total revamped the parsing of data received from the radio.  Its much cleaner I think.  Initial data from the radio when you issue a "sub slice all" is formatted differently than followup messages.  So I had to create separate routines for "initial" and "followup".  The use of index and substring functions is much cleaner IMO. 

I will have a new version out soon using this new method. 

if (c.available() > 0) {
    inBuffer = c.readString();
    //Get Initial Frequencies
    int s0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 0 in_use=1 RF_frequency=");
    int s1=inBuffer.indexOf("rit_on=", s0);
    if ((s0 > 0) && (s1 > s0)){   FreqAstring = inBuffer.substring(s0+30, s1); FreqAstring = FreqAstring.replaceAll(" ", "");FreqA = new Float(FreqAstring);}
    int t0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 1 in_use=1 RF_frequency=");
    int t1=inBuffer.indexOf("rit_on=", t0);
    if ((t0 > 0) && (t1 > t0)){   FreqBstring = inBuffer.substring(t0+30, t1); FreqBstring = FreqBstring.replaceAll(" ", "");FreqB = new Float(FreqBstring);}
    //Get Frequencies if changed in smartSDR
    int u0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 0 RF_frequency=");
    int u1=inBuffer.indexOf("wide=", u0);
    if ((u0 > 0) && (u1 > u0)){   FreqAstring = inBuffer.substring(u0+21, u1); FreqAstring = FreqAstring.replaceAll(" ", "");FreqA = new Float(FreqAstring);}
    int v0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 1 RF_frequency=");
    int v1=inBuffer.indexOf("wide=", v0);
    if ((v0 > 0) && (v1 > v0)){   FreqBstring = inBuffer.substring(v0+21, v1); FreqBstring = FreqBstring.replaceAll(" ", "");FreqB = new Float(FreqBstring);}
    //Get Initial Modes  
    int ma0=inBuffer.indexOf("mode=", s0);
    int ma1=inBuffer.indexOf("wide=", ma0);
    if ((ma0 > 0) && (ma1 > ma0)){   modeA = inBuffer.substring(ma0+5, ma1); modeA = modeA.replaceAll(" ", "");}
    int mb0=inBuffer.indexOf("mode=", t0);
    int mb1=inBuffer.indexOf("wide=", mb0);
    if ((mb0 > 0) && (mb1 > mb0)){   modeB = inBuffer.substring(mb0+5, mb1); modeB = modeB.replaceAll(" ", "");}
    //Get Modes if changed in smartSDR
    int na0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 0 mode=");
    int na1=inBuffer.indexOf(" filter_lo=", na0);
    if ((na0 > 0) && (na1 > na0)){   modeA = inBuffer.substring(na0+13, na1); modeA = modeA.replaceAll(" ", "");}
    int nb0=inBuffer.indexOf("slice 1 mode=");
    int nb1=inBuffer.indexOf(" filter_lo=", nb0);
    if ((nb0 > 0) && (nb1 > nb0)){   modeB = inBuffer.substring(nb0+13, nb1); modeB = modeB.replaceAll(" ", "");}
   }
(Edited)
Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

William,

Great stuff, and what a super community this is.  I am not yet a programmer, however I am staring to go through the basic Visual Basic training. 

Can you please walk me through the macro level programs you are using to program in?

I would like to be able to dig deeper into this CMD source code.  I see a *.pde file in the Source folder but I don't know what to open this with?

Hope this is not too silly a request, I just need some help getting started.

Duane

Photo of MH_Flexer

MH_Flexer

• 65 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

William,

I started a Version History and Pending Updates for the program see below downloads:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0u0hlghipo0orj/CMDMicroFlex6K%20Version%20Release%20Notes.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa3ut58iqp3cu6i/CMDMicroFlex6K%20Pending%20Updates.docx?dl=0

Hope you find this of value.  Let me know of any changes or broken links, etc. 

Duane

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Duane,

The language is "processing"  its free

William