Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help for VAC and PowerSDR

Pete Parisetti
Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
Hello and thanks for reading this.

I have VAC 4.14 up and running with PowerSDR 2.7.2 (Flex5K) and the PTT via virtual port is working fine.

The problem is that - when VAC is engaged - everytime I key the radio (either via serial port or MOX) I get about 300 ms of a harsh sound getting into the audio. Say that I use the digital voice keyer in Logger32. I hit the macro button to send out my call in a pileup, the radio goes into transmission, but the first letter of my call is covered by this harsh, hissing sound. Same when I use digital modes. And the same happens by simply keying the radio via the MOX button: 300 ms of noise, and then silence...

Anybody can shed light?

Thanks again and 73.

Pete MM0TWX

Comments

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Pete,

Are you using the paid version of VAC? The demo version has a voice message inserted to "encourage" you to "pay-up".

Ed, K0KC
  • Pete Parisetti
    Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Yes, Ed, I do have the full version. Everything works perfectly except for that initial noise, which does not appear at any other point.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Pete,

I acquired a Flex 6700 a little over a year ago and I have not used by Flex 3K and 5K much over that period, so I am a little rusty on VAC and PowerSDR. VAC 4.13 had some problems (I cannot remember the details) and I had to back down to 4.12 as I recall. I have not tried to upgrade to 4.14 and probably will not do so unless forced by a PowerSDR upgrade.

I suggest that you try VAC 4.12 to see if it addresses your situation (it runs fine for me). You can download it by replacing the 4.14 by 4.12 in the URL that Eugene sent you when you purchased his product.

Ed, K0KC
  • len
    len Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I too had problems with VAC until moving back to 4.12. It is not broke so I have no need to jump to 4.14
  • Pete Parisetti
    Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Thanks very much for this. Unfortunately, I tried installing 4.9, and the problem remains...

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Pete,

There was another version below 4.13 that gave people problems, but I cannot recall the nature of the problems or the version number. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Good luck with your trouble shooting.

Ed, K0KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I'll be testing VAC 4.14 later this week with PowerSDR.  The "noise burst" issue was common in previous version of VAC, but 300ms is a *very* long time.  

I have been using VAC 4.12 with good success.  I had issue with v4.13.

You can download 4.12 by changing the version number in the URL you were given to download v4.14.  You can try downloading that version, removing v4.14 and installing 4.12 to see if that makes a difference.  If it doesm please let us know.
  • Pete Parisetti
    Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Thank you all, but the mystery becomes thicker...

It is not VAC. I tried using HIFI Cable (an equivalent) and I have exactly the same problem.

It would appear like the TX buffer - when selecting a virtual audio stream - gets filled with this noise from within PowerSDR.

By the way, 300 ms is my estimate, but I don't think I'm too off the mark. It may be 200, but I don't think less than that.

• Pete Parisetti
    Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    And, exactly the same situation with both VAC 4.13 and 4.12.

• Pete Parisetti
    Pete Parisetti Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    PROBLEM SOLVED.

The trick was to use a different cable for input and output. Interestingly, I am now successfully using two different free versions of virtual cable software, and I realise I invested 40 Dollars in the vastly overpriced VAC for nothing...

Thanks again to everybody.

73 Pete
    http://www.qrz.com/db/MM0TWX
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Pete,

Glad to hear that your problem was solved...now get on the air and work some DX!

Ed, K0KC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    To reduce confusion, I labeled my two VAC ports IN To FLEX, and OUT From FLEX in the windows audio preferences.  I was always forgetting whether I was supposed to use LINE 1 or LINE 2 for the ins and outs, etc.....

Ken - NM9P
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited December 2016
    Pete,

I don't think $35 is too high a price to pay for lifetime license of a piece of SW that is at least supported.   Problem with some of the free versions in the past is that they weren't updated to keep up with the Windows OS..   (which happened when Vista and the 64 bit versions)   and some were unstable . On the cables,  input to output ,  output to input.   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.