Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help working dx in SSB - Any suggestions?

Options
IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited January 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

I would like to have some hints about using my Flex 6300 in SSB.
Until today I used it only in CW mode and I find it nearly perfect, but now I have some doubts when I use it in SSB mode.
First of all I find midrange frequencies very very attenuated. Also I find NB feature very aggressive and using the DSP slide, from very low to very high, doesn't help a lot.
During an A/B test between my 6300 and the KNW 990, eliminating all DSP/EQ features and fixing BW at 2400 Hz on both radios, I found in 990 a great presence of midrange frequencies that I didn't find in my 6300. Then I was more surprised finding that, enabling or disabling the Equalizator, made the difference between copying or not copying the dx station (I try to repeat the same experience in the video below).
Pheraps I am missing something and I would be glad if you could suggest me a good practice to work dx-stations.

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You have the mid range EQ sliders above zero so you are adding about 6 db boost to the mids and trying to compare that to 0db when the EQ is off. For a valid comparison you need to boost your AF level by the same amount your EQ is boosting or when turning on the EQ, reduce your AF gain by the same amount then all things will be equal. Also you didn't mention anything about what speakers these radios are using.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I hardly ever use EQ on RX to pick weak signals up. I find it odd that with S7 those stations are so low in volume at your QTH. I wouldtry the ANT PreAmp to make it a bit clearer.

I find myself using the AGC more than anything else. I like it FAST (to recover quickly from the bigger signals to the smaller ones) and I probably stay at around 15 to 20% of the AGC slider.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am wondering how can measure audio level while I am listening to a dx station. Probably with a software VU meter (I'll look for it on the web).
    I usually use Bose Companion II speakers, but the audio in the video is directly taken from DAX-AUDIO Stream, so this should not make difference.

I am also wondering, as already noted Salvador, why I hear so low a station that has a S5-S6 signal. My antenna is an Optibeam OB9-5 so I think it isn't related to the antenna efficiency.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.