Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help with WAN access using Verizon Hotspot and Linksys Router

K7JV
K7JV Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My WAN / LAN configuration is as follows:

WAN - Verizon Mifi Hotspot (By design, it operates as a cellular modem and as a wifi router)

Linksys EA6350 Router - The router uses an IOGear Wifi - Ethernet adapter to "connect" to the Verizon Hotspot.  The Wifi - Ethernet adapter is plugged into the WAN port on the router.  This hardware configuration works extremely well for a fairly high number of devices in our RV for Internet access with, until now, zero "special" configuration settings needed.

FlexRadio 6400 - Ethernet connected to one of the four LAN ports on the Linksys router.

Trying to "come in" from the outside using Dogpark on the MacBook Pro (2019 model), or SmartSDR on the iPhone I CAN SEE the radio, but I can not connect to it.  Something in the configuration of the Verizon modem/router or the configuration of the Linksys router is keeping the connection from happening.

I have been working with very talented support at FlexRadio, and it was suggested by them that I bring my problem to this forum to see if anyone has made this Verizon / Linksys (or any other router for that matter) / FlexRadio 6400 configuration work for remote use of their beautiful radio.  If you have, any guidance to the appropriate screens and any settings that need to be entered on either the Verizon setup or the Linksys setup or both would be highly appreciated.

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
  • K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you, Alan.  That looks like an interesting device.  I wish I'd tumbled onto that several years ago, as it might very well have been a much better solution for our RV cellular internet connectivity.  It is a fairly robust price tag, but if it works, that might be a direction for me to consider.  If it turns out that having my Verizon router in "series" with my Linksys router is in fact the issue, I'll research your idea further.

I'm not totally sure that I've not lost sight of the trees for the forest.  We are in our RV and just a couple of days from ending our 2019-2020 snowbird experience.  I purchased the FlexRadio after experiencing it at the Yuma Hamfest the last two February's, and have been trying to make friends with it in the RV so I'll be ready to go with it when we get home.  That's where I ran into the Verizon and possible mulitiple NAT issues.  But that may not be a problem when we get home where the radio is going to live, permanently.  So maybe I'm exhausting a huge amount of energy and fretting over a problem that will no longer exist.  I so hope that is the case.  (Our home ISP is CenturyLink and it is a fiber-optic high-speed DSL connection.  Man, it will be nice to be off of Verizon for primary data for a while!!!)

I'll know a lot more by Tuesday.  Thank you so much for your suggestion, and I will keep your information and check it out if it turns out I still have the problem.  Cheers, and thanks again!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.