Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help with SmartSDR software for use on a MAC

Vicki
Vicki Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have a new Flex 6600 radio (traded in my 6500 and Maestro) and am interested in running this on my MAC computer (not my iPad or phone at this time).  Is there a Smart SDR software for the MAC yet?  I read a few posts on Parallels.  If I purchase this software what version would be best, Lite from Apple store, regular or Pro from Amazon?  Would this allow me to then operate the radio from my MAC computer?  I also plan to run MACLoggerDX, WSTJ, JT bridge and LOTW.  By the way I am a low tech computer user so please reply using non high tech instructions as I really want to get on the air using my MAC.  Many thanks for any and all help, 73, N6KLS, Vicki 

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Here you go.

It has been out for a long time:  https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

Mike

• Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi Vicki,
    You can run the native Mac client dogparkSDR -  https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html,
    or you can run SmartSDR under Windows emulation (i.e. Parallels) on the Mac.
    MacLoggerDX will connect directly to your Flex over your LAN.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you want to run SSDR on the physical platform of your Mac, you will need to use either BootCamp, or Parallels to run a copy of Windows, since for some reason, FlexRadio Systems won't port to MacOS.

My setup is as follows:

I use Bootcamp because it has direct hardware access and is a bit more efficient than running a virtual machine as you would using Parallels. 

I use Windows 7 because Windows 10 is a horrible OS. If you are used to MacOS, you expect the software to run after updates. Not so with Windows 10. My Windows 10 machine sometimes has problems after an update.

Anyhow, Parallels is a viable choice too - I think most people run that. Windows 10? Let's just say that my W7 in Bootcamp has 100 percent uptime. 

The downside of Bootcamp is that you have to boot into it. Not difficult, but some people don't like that. Performance versus convenience, I suppose.

There are MacOS options as well. DogPark is a really nice application that works well. I also run that on my Mac.

There is also talk about iOS applications running on the latest MacOS update, so you might even be able to use the iOS version. I don't know anything other than the talk about it.

Hope this helps
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I run DogparkSDR and also run Windows 10 using VMware Fusion.  Fusion is cheaper than Parallels and you can run it on multiple Macs and don't have to buy a new version each year.

Burch
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I totally endorse DogparkSDR and have run it basically since Don released it.

N4GA
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Me Too. 
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I do the same
    this configuration is better than bootcamp because you can run native mac apps for wsjtx, mldx, jtbridge, which you can not do using bootcamp.

and
    you can chose to either run ssdr under windows or dpsdr under macos

best of both worlds

Paul K3SF
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On a slightly different note, I suggest you also invest in Loopback, and install xDax and xCat. That will allow you to also run any digital apps you'd like, with ease.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    yes...i totally agree...best set of s/w for digital work on the mac.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    so is there a You-tube tutorial for DogPark that get into the nitty gritty for those of us that just don't have the time to poke around and see what happens. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    A lot depends on the software you need to use. I use N1MM a lot, and there is no native Mac Application that does what it does. Regardless, if you are wanting to run SSDR as Vicki says whe wants to do, you can run a VM on the Mac, or if you don't want the performance penalty of the VM's, Bootcamp
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Not sure on the Youtube but you can download DogparkSDR and run it for free for up to 15 minutes at a time. 
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I find that running SmartSDR on virtual machine is the same as running it on Bootcamp. If you want a Windows machine to run SSDR buy one. The Parallel folks did such a good job over the years with Parallels that using it is transparent. On the plus side is you can transfer file between MAC and Windows, can't do that with Bootcamp.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You don't have to buy a new version of Parallels every year.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thumbs up on that.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Me three.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    on the dpsdr webpage there are links to various youtube videos.
    https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.