Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help with settings

Harold Rosee
Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
I need a little help getting things right in my settings.  Probably has to do with my misunderstanding of profiles.  I really just want the radio to come up the same each time.

First let me say I am still on V1.11 on my 6500.    For a long time when I start up the radio it always revers back to turning off my TX1 RCA plug that keys my amp.  I have been turning it back on each time until I could figure out why it was doing this.  I am at the point where I need some help.

Here is what is happening and what I have done.

I go into the radio setup under the TX tab I enable the RCA TX1.  The * before the profile name goes away making me believe it saved everything.  I can stop SmartSDR and start it again and all is still OK.  But when I turn the radio off and back on the RCA TX1 is disabled again and the * is back in front of the profile name like I never saved it.

Next I deleted all the profiles in SmartSDR and hard reset the radio.  I brought the radio back up and started the software. The default profile has an * in front of it which surprised me and my RCA TX1 was disabled again.  I turned it back on and saved a profile under a new name.  So now all I have is default and the new profile.

I can stop the SmartSDR and restart it and all is still ok.  Stop SmartSDR and turn off the radio.  Turn it back on and start SmartSDR back up.  Now the new profile has an * in front of it like it's been changed and hasn't been saved and my RCA TX1 id disabled again.

I am in an endless loop.  I really don't have anything save in SmartSDR I can redo so I don't mind doing a complete uninstall and reinstall but it would be nice to see if I can fix it without doing all that.  Like I said I already did a hard reset on the radio.  I think there is a database reset somewhere but haven't figured out how to do that so maybe someone can tell me how to do that or tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have searched the forum but there are so many topics covering things like this over the years it is hard to find my exact problem and resolution.

Thanks for any help.

Harold
W5ZZT

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Once you have set your RCA TX1 are you saving the TX profile with a name other than Default? And when you reboot or power up, are you making sure that you are loading that same TX Profile when you operate? If I remember correctly, (it has been a while since I used 1.11) the setting for RCA TX1 and others in the list are saved as part of the TX Profiles. If you are also saving a Global Profile, make sure that the TX profile you want is active before you save the Global Profile. (Also, save it to a name other than Default.) To do a persistence reset on the 6500, FIRST export your profiles, then power off the rig. Then hold the OK button while powering up the radio and keep holding it until it finishes the countdown.... Then you will need to import your Global, TX, and Mic Profiles. Hope this helps get you started. Ken - NM9P
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

I just did discover that is I load the Global profile I save everything in it does what I want it to do.

That brings me to another question.  What profile gets loaded when you first turn the physical radio on?  I was expecting it to load the last profile used but I guess it's not doing that.  I just looked back at the manual and I don't see a reference to what is being loading at power up.

Do I have to select the Global profile each time I the radio comes up the first time?  I have the Global profile named "ssb".  Is there possiblely another name I need to use like "default"?

Thanks,

Harold
    W5ZZT
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Harold, "default" is the last name you want to use. I have my profiles set up on the basis of 20 M. SSB, 6 M SSB , 6 m. Digi and so on. LIke Ken it is some time since I used 1.1. In later versions and I think 1.1 it should boot up using the last global profile that you used.  I use the same name for a Global profile as I do for Transmit and Microphone. Once I have saved the Global profile it just comes up with it each time I turn on. Make sure you have saved each profile with a suitable name.

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK, I'll try saving a Global profile named "default".  I may be the only one still using V1.XX but it does everything I need and is very stable.

I was going to upgrade a couple of weeks ago but there is just nothing in the V2 or V3 software that I need.  I love working remote but set up the Softether VPN and it has also been flawless.  When they ever come up with something I would like to have I will upgrade but I really don't know what it would be.  I use to have the latest software on any software I use but now I have gotten over that.

I was seriously considering upgrading to a 6600M and getting the current software that way.  I do like playing with new radios.  I asked Gerald at Dayton for a quote on what my 6500 would be worth on trade.  I filled out a sheet and he said he would have someone call me before the Hamvention was over with a quote.  I am still waiting on that call.

Thanks again.

Harold
    W5ZZT

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Harold,

I'm currently on 2.5.1 with my 6700 and I've had the same problem with TX1 and TX2  becoming disabled on their own in 2.3.9, 2.4.9 and 2.5.1

Sometimes I'll try to transmit only to see that my amp is not being keyed. Every time it's because TX1 and 2 have been switched to disabled. I switch it back and it can stay enabled for days or weeks and then suddenly it changes to disabled on it's own

I just learned to live with it
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hello Pat,

Mine use to save ok but not now and I have been on the same release for a couple of years.  I thought I understood the profiles but I guess not.

I really just prefer persistence and will probably do as Ken said above. I have the same issue you do.  I'll look over and see my amp not keying.  I really don't want to live with it so I am interested in making it work as it should.  I can reload the Global profile when I start up the radio but it's a pain to remember to do that. What's strange is it only acts like this when you power cycle the radio.  When you end the software and start it up again all is fine. 

Harold
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Unless it is a change since 1.11, the RCA TX1 setting is saved in the Transmit Profile, not the Global Profile. If you are using two slices, each slice can use a different TX Profile, unless you set both slices to the same TX Profile. You don’t need to reload your Global Profile again unless there are specific panadapter & Slice Settings you want to revert to. But you do need to make sure that the correct Transmit Profile (For example...ANT1_AMP) is active on your TX Slice. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    BTW, the V.3.0 upgrade includes a much more robust and easy to setup Transmit Settings page/form that is saved with the TX Profile, as well as other new features.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Harold I also use 1.11.12 it's been very stable and so far meets all my needs. Also be aware DDUTIL if utlized can contro, that TX1 if I recall. Ian
  • Robby Robertson
    Robby Robertson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Harold, I believe that when Brian said "default" is the last name you want to use. He really meant never use this name. Not use it at the end of your process.

When you responded "OK, I'll try saving a Global profile named "default". I realized that you took it literally and saved it as the last thing you wanted to do.

Aussies mean well and they are nice people but don't forget they live on the bottom of the world.

-Robby
    HP3SS
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Another reason to leave the Default profiles alone, is they are useful as pristine starting off points for creating additional custom profiles, but they won't "currently" stay pristine due to the new Auto Save feature. So I don't even use them to operate. Instead I copy them to a personal operating copy. Profile names are up to the operator, myself I tend to name them with timestamps like ,,, 2019-07-11. Which helps me to keep track of when I created them. If one of your operating profiles suddenly starts using unintended settings then you can try rolling back to an earlier dated profile, then remember to delete the bad profile, right then. When you get a profile working exactly the way you want it, save it, right then. if you see one not working like you want it to , then delete it, right then. Clean up your messes as you make them.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Roibbie,
    You are so right. In Aussie speak, "the last thing you should do" means, "never do it". But you also realise that we have a very massive task down here, holding up the rest of the world so sometimes our language might confuse. And to think I spent my working life as a trial attorney. Thanks for correcting the misunderstanding. I strongly believe that the "default" settings should remain exactly what they are and any profiles that we install, be it Global or Transmit or microphone should be individually named. YMMV as to what names you use.
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ian,

You hit the nail on the head!!   I can't believe it was that simple.  I use DDUTIL to control my amp, ant switch and tuner.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing around on the Auto Drive page to see what the different setting did. When I was done playing around I had unchecked the "enable"  thinking it would disable this feature including all the selections along the left side. As strange as it seems it doesn't.  Those selections along the left are still active.  I just unchecked everything and just check "manual TX" and now PowerSDR has control again!

I would have never thought to look in DDUTIL in a million years.  It's real easy to think your problem is in SmartSDR when it's not.

I love this forum. 

Thanks,

Harold
    W5ZZT
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Harold Glad I could help. Ian KM4CQG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.