Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help Video

KM6CQ - Dan
KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in New Ideas
I spent some time last night putting DAX back together again from the 1903 update. I would find it valuable for Tim to make some videos of him remoting in to fix DAX problems. To be clear I would like to observe exactly what he is doing. For what’s it worth, My Win 10 pro system. I generally have to run a complete uninstall , reboot, uninstall the IQ driver, reboot. Then install the IQ driver. Then reboot and it will work. BTW, any of you notice Windows will sometimes fix DAX problems after multiple reboots? I think it happens. Thanks, Dan KM6CQ

Comments

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think a lot of the Windows 10 problems are so varied, it might take 50 videos. 

Windows 10 is the flat bicycle tires on the McClaren F1 Flex radios. 8^)

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I had the pleasure of watching Tim fix a problem-DAX PC over teamviewer.

The process is highly nuanced.  

Some of the repairs can make things worse - much worse - in certain circumstances.

If the repairs really go amiss a full OS reinstallation might be the only fix.

We have a very wide range of capabilities to deal with - some who can do anything to systems and some that find most windows chores a challenge.  

I'm thinking the process is complex enough where the present "barrier to entry" is helpful to keeping attempts at self-repair to those with the right skills.  

For many of us we don't have the skills to correct mistakes as we go along, or have a good "Plan-B" if the repairs don't work.  We would be following a video or a checklist blindly, increase our risks of doing real system wide damage.

That said, if a 3rd party did videos I certainly would reference them - especially if they have been peer reviewed by the folks in the community who know windows well.  

Steve
    K9ZW

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I guess the simple fix is do a format reinstall. Then get your system just the way you want it without SSDR on it. Make an image of it. Then if you have an issue, blast the image on it, update windows and install SSDR. Dan KM6CQ
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That of course is a kludge, not a fix.  Any operating system that  requires re-imaging after updates is a horrible operating system. 

While my W10 SSDR system is reliable as Lucas Electrics in 1970's MG cars (which is to say, horrible) my Windows 7 SSDR install on my Mac, and my Dogpark application on it are 100 percent uptime.

I seem to be doing a lot of auto analogies lately! 8^)
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I would simply like to see what each Dax device is supposed to be 'named' when it is properly running. IE: Dax IQ, how many and what specifically are they called. DAX Audio IQ, DAX TX IQ what and how many would be a big help in properly renaming the devices to help us keep up with WinBlows tying it all in knots.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Ah yes, Lucas the “Prince of Darkness”.  Never had an MG but had friends in the 70’s with British bikes  and I still remember their cursing (never an electrical problem with my Suzuki and Honda!)   (-:

Too bad, but I’d have to agree frequent re-imaging is a life saver for many of us.  It’s saved me grief on more than one occasion, going back several Windows OS versions. 

Howard

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The time I had Tim help me, we did a teamviewer session. For some bizarre reason, the Windows 10 update had renamed every single audio driver on the computer to DAX IQ 1 and incremented the number by 1 for each driver. Krikey's!  Anyhow, I paid close attention, and since then I can do it myself.

I think the real cure - and I do mean a cure, not endless rounds of fixes - if we want to use Windows 10, is to run the Enterprise edition

Luckily, the people I am working for at the moment bought me a nice workstation laptop with enterprise on it. I'm going to install SSDR on it and hopefully say goodbye to the update problem.

BTW, Jay has offered help to many as well.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Oh yeah - I had a 60's British bike, and while it was great looking and ran pretty well, the electrical system kept me working on it constantly. It was a "what quit working today thing". If I had one now, I'd just redesign an electrical system for it.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I had DAX driver problems following a Windows 10 update. I filed a help ticket on Sunday afternoon.  Tim fixed it with a Teamviewer session on Monday morning and I was back in business.
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Jim,
    One of the times I had problems I made a pic of before and after. The right side of the pic has the correct sequence and names.

Also if you look at this link. It has more details if a driver is missing. The latest update rename drivers the same and then hid the disabled driver.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/problems-with-dax-followin-g-update-to-2-5-1-and-windows-1903

Good Luck
    RAy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.