Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Help debugging SoftEther on RasPi

Doug Hall
Doug Hall Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Yesterday I configured a Raspberry Pi 3 with SoftEther, and while it's *close* to working I've got something wrong somewhere. With my Windows 7 notebook I can connect to my VPN from outside and I get an IP address on my LAN. I can ping devices on my LAN and the ping times are reasonable. I run SmartSDR and it can see the Flex6300 in the radio chooser. When I choose the radio and click Connect I see the GUI come up but I never get a panadapter and about 10 seconds after I connect it times out and says Connection Lost. Then I'm back to the radio chooser (where the radio is still visible.)

Any ideas? My home internet connection is showing about 60 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up, and the WiFi network I was using to connect remotely was showing 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. The network health indicator showed Fair or Good until the radio disconnected.

I don't know how to troubleshoot it beyond this. Seems either something is messed up in SoftEther or my VPN configuration on the notebook is messed up, but the fact that I can "see" the radio says I'm getting close.
Doug K4DSP

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If your home network and the other network you are connecting from has the same IP address scheme you'll have this issue. Many people choose 192.168.1.x as their home IP range and a lot of public wifi uses it too. It will cause a conflict.

Usually I just tell people to change their home network range to something nonstandard like 192.168.73.x or 10.73.59.x and that usually fixes it. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Ria is absolutely correct. I banged my head (what is left of it) for several days until I read advice similar to hers. Had exactly the same problem with OpenVPN.

Jim, K6QE

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the advice. I have encountered the "same subnet" issue before back in the PPTP days, so that was the first thing I checked. But in this case the problem appears to be ports being blocked by the ISP on the public wifi hotspot I was using. Testing at two other locations was successful, and the Flex works quite well with SoftEther and the RasPi.
    Doug K4DSP

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Glad to hear it worked out. Port blocking would definitely cause issues. I've had a bit of that using public wifi here in Buenos Aires, but on cell providers and the "home" ISP, things worked well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.