Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HELP Connecting a Flex 3000 to a Expert 1k-fa

M0AOV
M0AOV Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Hi All
I'm trying to connect my Expert 1k-fa to my Flex 3000, I've looked on the Flex forum but only really see information on the connection using the Flex 6??? radio's, so has anyone done the connection to a Flex 3000 and how did you do it?? cable connection and Radio to Amp connection ??

Thanks in advance
Rob

Answers

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hello Rob,
    Download and install DDUtil
    More details on http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=Download

Tom, SP7WT

• M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Tom will get that done, is there any other information on what cables or leads I'll need to make up for the connection from the Flex 3000 to the Expert 1k and PC ??? I have no idea so far 

Rob
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

If you don't find the info you need you can have the cables made for you here.

http://expertlinears.com/

• M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Larry will have a look
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You need to make a CAT cable, it is quite simple, Expert 1k manual provides details.
    Also, a quality USB to RS232 converter with with original FTDI chip is required. Some fake chips may not work properly.

Tom, SP7WT
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You can buy the cable from Dan at Expert linears, or you can make your own:
    9 pin serial (PC running DDUtil -------->  15 pin (amp
    Pin 2 (RXD)     ------------------>  Pin 9 (TXD)
    Pin 3 (TXD)     ------------------>  Pin 1 (RXD)
    Pin 5 (Ground) ------------------>  Pin 4 (Ground)

Connect the cable to a PC and set it up in DDUtil. For the 3000 you have to use DDUtil.

Ria
  • M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for all the replies just need to make sure about the serial 9 pin from the PC to the Expert 1K which would be the 15pin connection either Cat 1 or Cat 2 connection and from the Flex 3000 use which one ?? PPT Jack or the External Keying Line ??? to the Red Relay RCA on the Expert 1K, I've seen other posts saying use the RS232 9 pin connection on the Back of the Expert 1K on the right side so I just want to make sure of the connections.

Thanks
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Use CAT1. CAT2 is if you have a 2nd radio
  • M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Ria what about (  PPT Jack or the External Keying Line ??? to the Red Relay RCA on the Expert 1K, )
    Thanks
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I find that wired PTT works  very well and this is what I use.
  • M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the replies All but if your going to reply then PLEASE explain what you are talking about, YOU might know what your talking about but some one who has never done it HAS NO IDEA so please Explain, 
    TOM what do you mean by WIRED PTT ??? 
  • M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    What I'm trying to find out is:

1) TO KEY THE EXPERT 1K, DO YOU USE the PTT Jack or the External Keying Line ??? Both are RCA CONNECTIONS, The other end of the lead from the Flex 3000 goes to the red relay RCA on the back of the expert 1k ?? if you are using CAT 1 for the Flex 3000

2) Is there a Video on Youtube or any where else that anyone knows of showing you how to set the setting up in DDUtil for the Flex 3000 to a Expert 1K  ??

Thanks again for all the replies it's the little things that are the hardest to sort out.

Rob
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hello again, Rob
    Wired PTT- connects Flex PTT RCA socket with Expert's PTT socket using a length of screened cable with RCA plug on each end. A simple and effective solution.
    DDUtil creates ports to exchange data between Expert and Flex radio.
    Please prepare your RS232 to USB adapter,  and a cable according to Ria's suggestion then continue with DDUtil installation. Note COM port number assigned to the adapter.
    If I remember correctly, you meed to select a Legacy Radio from the setup and continue with further settings.
    DDUtil website has a small help file.
    Meantime I will find more how to continue with the setup.
    Also study Expert's manual. You will need to setup menu in the amplifier related to CAT settings.

Tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.