Heil HM-pro adapter for 6400M?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Will there be an microphone adapter for the Flex 6400M and the Heil HM-PRO microphone?
I have emailed Heil twice and received NO answer! I do not see one offered on the flex website with the proper connections. Did I miss something or is this a valid question?
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
We will be offering the adapters for sale.  One for the HM Pro (4-pin XLR) and one for mics that terminate with an 8-pin female Foster connector.

They should be available before we start taking final payment for the radios that have been reserved.

Sales will make a Community post when they are available.
Photo of Mike, K7QDX

Mike, K7QDX

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
So just to confirm, nothing for three pin XLR? (And I thought most of Bob's stuff was three pin. I guess I was wrong)
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 235 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
The Heil PR781 and PR40 both have three-pin XLR connectors.  
Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 41 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
There are lots of 3.5mm to XLR cables available, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-XVM-110M-Right-Angle-XLR3M-Microphone/dp/B000K6B2DI

Joe  N9VX
Photo of Kevin - KS0CW

Kevin - KS0CW

• 90 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
i looked at the first link and thought, wait a minute isn't that the wrong gender.. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
3-pin XLR (female) to 1/8" TRS (male) wired in a balanced configuration is widely available from any music supply house (Guitar Center, ZZSounds, etc..).  The 2nd link above is representative.
Photo of Mike, K7QDX

Mike, K7QDX

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim, Didn't know if you guys were going to come out with your own or not. I know some ham radio retailers, including Bob Heil don't sell them (as of yet). But as we all know, you can get almost anything from Amazon.
Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 41 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Please note: The Amazon link I lasted posted is not the correct cable. It is wired wrong. Diagram below.

This cable below is wired correctly. (Tim please correct me if I am wrong)

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-5mm-Inch-Female/dp/B00QMITC2Q?th=1
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
The diagram above is wired as unbalanced.  The 1/8" TRS audio input is pseudo balanced.  This means that the input is wired as a balanced input right up to the connection on the codec where Mic- and Ground are bonded to make the audio connection unbalanced.  

It is best that there are not two ground points in the circuit that can cause current loops and make the circuit susceptible to RFI ingress.  In the diagram above being unbalanced, initiates a ground point in the middle of the circuit between the transducer (mic element) and the codec.

I would leave the circuit wired as balanced from mic to the 1/8" TRS jack on the radio, so this is how I would wire it

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html
(Edited)
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Tim you are freaking amazing! You are the glue at Flex radio and of course Duffy too.
Photo of Mark - N7MHB

Mark - N7MHB

• 40 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The HM Pro has a 4 pin XLR connector.  The Mic has a PTT button.  These are not as easy to find.  I got an adapter from DX Engineering for a 4 pin to 3 pin XLR adapter.  I have not seen (really haven't looked very hard) for a 4 pin to quarter inch.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
@Mark - see my official comment above.
Photo of Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• 22 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi guys
Setup I
I Need a cable to connect my Heil Pro Set 6 IC headset to my 6600M using the PTT (RCA) jack and the 1/8" MIC jack on the back of the 6600M

Setup II
or to connect the Heil Pro Set 6 IC headset to 1/4" BAL-IN Mic input.

Which Setup is the better one?
Any ideas?

Wolfgang