Heil HM-12 Mike adjustment 6300

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
New Kid here, I am using a Heil HM-12 Mike on my Flex-6300, same mike as I used on my Flex-3000.  No problem, but would like to know the equalizer setting from some other guys here. It seems that my audio lacks punch, low or Basie.  Listening to the audio recorder, it sounds ok but just flat.  I don't know anything about the Equalizer or how to set it.  Any help?

Joe K0BX
Photo of Joseph Duerbusch

Joseph Duerbusch

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3454 Reply Likes
Joe - EQ settings are unique to the individual's voice in conjunction with a mic.  Using someone else's EQ settings is like wearing someone else's custom form fit shoes; you might be able to wedge your feet into them, but they will not feel good.

There are many articles on the Internet that describe how to set an EQ for voice.  There is a good one in the FlexRadio HelpDesk called Rules for EQing Voice for Optimal Phone Operation

What you really want to do is listen to yourself using a 2nd receiver with the RX bandwidth set as wide as possible.  Then use the information in the above article to adjust the EQ until you sound like yourself.  

The most import section of the above article the following 5 Golden Rules.

Easy-To-Remember 5 Golden Rules Of EQing
  1. If it sounds muddy, cut some at 250Hz.
  2. If it sounds honky, cut some at 500Hz.
  3. Cut if you’re trying to make things sound better.
  4. Boost if you’re trying to make things sound different.
  5. You can’t boost something that’s not there in the first place (cut before boosting).
Have fun!
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3916 Posts
  • 1191 Reply Likes
Thanks for the link, Tim.  
This is an excellent article that  have used to good effect on my 6500 and 1500.
This and the articles by W1AEX are "must read" documents for anyone who wants a good sounding SDR.
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Joe

I Sent you an email!!!!