Heil HC6 and 6400M. Can it be connected directly or do I need an adapter for the Microphone side?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
If I need an adapter where do I get the correct one? I see in another thread there is onw from Amazon but the question of "is the ring floating" was not answered. I would like to use my Heil HC6 headset once in a while. 
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 272 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of VE3DZP

VE3DZP

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Rick I just went thru that yesterday as well. Ended up with the MFJ-1263 Mic control . Now can use my Kenwood MC-90 and my Heil Pro7. I just cut the provided  Cat cable and and put the 1/8" plug on the mike and the headset to the back. Gary VE3DZP
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 286 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
What is the model number of the device you have your microphone plugged into?? It looks like a MFJ part?? So I presume that interface plugs into the rear of the 6400?? 
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 286 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
OK, figured out what the MFJ part number is! MFJ-1263
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 110 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Flex should have one or can make one up. Look on their website
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 272 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I think I might have a solution. Flex sold an adapter for the 6300 to use the Heil Proset HC6. It was an 8 pin round female to female 1/8 jack. Not sure if it is floating ground like Tim says or not but it worked with the 6300. I had to buy an adapter for the 6400. An 8 pin round male / phono-1/8 plug to connect the cable that went to the cable for the PR 781. So with the (yes 2) adapters I think it will work.
The thing is I do not see the adapter for the 6300 / HC6 anymore on Flex's site.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes

My Heil Proset came with trs on the phones and ts on the mic connector both 1/8" plugs. This morning after reading someone else had success with no adapter I plugged the phones trs into the phones jack on the 6400m and the monaural 1/8" mic plug into the mic 1/8" jack on the back of the 6400M.

My settings are Bias Off

+20db

Mic gain set at 54 currently.

Worked like a champ no adapter even needed!

WARNING THOUGH: Do not ever turn on Mic Bias without an adapter since basically with this setup the Ring and Sleeve are connected together.

YMMV - Another adapter cord not used and tossed in the drawer  since I changed from the HM12 Mic and purchased cord :-)