Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil GM 5 Mic

W2ECK
W2ECK Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
  1. So just got the adapter cable to hook up my Heil Goldline GM 5 mic to the 6600. Just wondering what the correct choice is for MIC in the Phone Transmit Control Panel. 
  2. HM-Pro, Pro Set HC-6 or something else ? And the Input source is balanced ?
  3. Anyone else using similar mic be interested in how your setup Equalizer for your Heil mic?
  4. 73 Paul 

Answers

• Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Set it up, get online comments , then add your own Mike profile. Name it your mike make, model. That’s what I did with my heil HM-12.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I used the Heil 781 profile to start with on the GM-5 microphone, and modified it for my voice. I get excellent reports on my audio. Gene, K1GD
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    OK now I'm home.  Here are the settings I am using for my Goldline GM-5 microphone on my 6500.

63Hz = 0
    125Hz = -6
    250 Hz = -8
    500 Hz = -4
    1KHz = 0
    2KHz = 4
    4KHz = 6
    8KHz = 4

These seem to work very well, and I get excellent audio reports.  My brother, WA6AQL, tells me my audio is just like talking on the phone, very natural.

Gene, K1GD
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    One more thing, I use the Wide setting on the mike.

Gene
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Gene - tnx for sharing your setup info, very helpful. A few followup questions: 
    - Not sure what you mean by using the "Wide" settings?
    - In the Settings-Radio Setup-Phone CW--- do you have the 20db preamp enabled? Bias on ?
    - In the Voice Mode Control Panel - what settings do you have in the TX Filter- Low Cut and High Cut ??

Paul
    w2eck
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Paul,

I am referring to the Wide/Narrow switch on the GM-5.

The +20db refers to using a powered microphone such as used by Icom.  I do have this enabled, as it was that way when I got the 6500 3 weeks ago, but it is not used with the GM-5.  I should probably disable it.

I have Low Cut = 100, and High Cut = 2900.

I also have the GM-5 plugged into the Balanced Microphone connector on the back of the 6500, you have to select that (R-Bal) if you are using a Maestro, which I use, probably the same if using a PC.

I hope this helps.  I will have to look for you on the air, where do you hang out?  I'm mostly on 20 & 40 lately.

Gene, K1GD
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Gene
    - OK on "Wide" I was searching high and low in SSDR for a wide setting- din't think about the Mic itself.

On the +20db setting, in the SSDR Manual on page 153 it says 
    "+20dB button: Clicking this button will enable the +20 dB gain microphone preamp. 
    Note: The +20 dB microphone preamp option should always be enabled whenever a microphone is directly connected the FLEX-6000. This option is not available when LINE is selected as the audio input"

-- seems like it's saying leaving it enabled??

- I don;t really hang out anyplace special but we could set up a Sked some time

73 Paul w2eck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.